Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Lead vs a slam

#1 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-19, 16:59

You are playing with an international against two internationals in an IMPs pairs game.

They are playing some sort of multi, so they could not have opened a weak 2. Your lead?

#2 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-19, 17:19

Small heart stands out to me. P didn't X for a spade, it sounds like they have enough trumps that leading my stiff won't prevent much, and it definitely doesn't sound like a club lead will embarrass them.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#3 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-19, 17:25

View PostJinksy, on 2015-June-19, 17:19, said:

Small heart stands out to me. P didn't X for a spade, it sounds like they have enough trumps that leading my stiff won't prevent much, and it definitely doesn't sound like a club lead will embarrass them.

My partner thought so to. I'll wait a bit to see what other people before I say for why I don't think this is necessarily true.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-19, 22:33

nonexpert answer here.

I will try Js.

I just hate to lead from a Q given Michael Rosenberg's comments over the years. Call it my bias.

I wont lead a trump given Bobby Wolf's comments over the years. Again call it a bias.

#5 User is offline   mcphee 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-20, 04:35

Partner managed a 2C overcall red versus white so in my stupidity I lead a C. I just can not find a reason not to start a club. MY LHO obviously holds a decent 2 suited hand and I hope my long S prove to be annoying enough to beat it a trick.

#6 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-June-20, 06:55

Where are the hearts ?

Est didnt make a negative and our partner didnt do a Michaels. So declarer got at least 2/3H and is sure to have 0 or 1 clubs (not a big surprise).

Declarer could get rid of a club on the 3rd H its its 4342 around the table. If we lead clubs however he could get rid of dummy H loser on AKQ of spades but there is not a lot we can do about that.

For sure it look like declarer spades are good and he will need only to ruff 2 more often than 3S. to be cont later...
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-20, 14:54

You have the spades stacked. Just make the normal club lead. If you have 2 heart tricks you'll probably still have 2 heart tricks after t1.

#8 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-20, 19:22

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-June-19, 16:59, said:

You are playing with an international against two internationals in an IMPs pairs game.
They are playing some sort of multi, so they could not have opened a weak 2. Your lead?
IMO = 10, = 8. = 6.
If you lead a and 6 makes, it's not your fault. If you lead anything else, however ...

#9 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-20, 21:37

Low spade.

#10 User is offline   Finanzier 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:Chess, writing, reading, law, solutions

Posted 2015-June-21, 04:10

Queen. Looking on my I feel already the pressure of a squeeze. :)
So P shall guard the .
A lead to give P a ruff or a lead to open the suit can succeed only on the basis of chance.

#11 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-24, 04:50

Well partner said that it was 'clear' to lead a heart. I led a spade thinking he might be ruffing it, he thought that he would have doubled with a spade void. I thought that he would double with AK and pass with a spade void, since with the former we are beating 6NT but with the latter we are not. There was a bit of discussion afterwards and the players present agreed that this sort of logic definitely applies vs. a grand slam.

#12 User is offline   PhantomSac 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-25, 15:36

I agree with your partner fwiw. Heart is a normal lead on this auction and as such partner should not double with the AK of hearts. A spade is not a normal lead and as such partner should take his chances and double with the spade void (he knows spades don't split and a run to 6N is incredibly unlikely, there is not that much reason to fear the run compared to fear a non spade lead vs 6C).

Doubling when you want a heart lead and passing with a spade void does not make a lot of sense because a lot of hands you want a heart lead don't contain the AK of hearts. For instance the AJ of hearts or the HA or the HK etc etc might all be good enough but you can't know that they are and can't always be doubling then. A heart is a normal lead for obvious reasons on this auction, the 1S then 6D bidder is ready for clubs and is frequently void, he probably has good spades and diamonds, so herp derp heart lead. Doubling needs to ask for something unusual, that means a spade ruff. This logically follows since if you pass partner will do what is "normal" most of the time, in this case that means leading a heart.
The artist formerly known as jlall

#13 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-25, 16:18

View Postmike777, on 2015-June-19, 22:33, said:

nonexpert answer here.

I will try Js.

I just hate to lead from a Q given Michael Rosenberg's comments over the years. Call it my bias.

I wont lead a trump given Bobby Wolf's comments over the years. Again call it a bias.

Did you notice that LHO opened 1?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#14 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-26, 08:42

View PostPhantomSac, on 2015-June-25, 15:36, said:

I agree with your partner fwiw. Heart is a normal lead on this auction and as such partner should not double with the AK of hearts. A spade is not a normal lead and as such partner should take his chances and double with the spade void (he knows spades don't split and a run to 6N is incredibly unlikely, there is not that much reason to fear the run compared to fear a non spade lead vs 6C).

Doubling when you want a heart lead and passing with a spade void does not make a lot of sense because a lot of hands you want a heart lead don't contain the AK of hearts. For instance the AJ of hearts or the HA or the HK etc etc might all be good enough but you can't know that they are and can't always be doubling then. A heart is a normal lead for obvious reasons on this auction, the 1S then 6D bidder is ready for clubs and is frequently void, he probably has good spades and diamonds, so herp derp heart lead. Doubling needs to ask for something unusual, that means a spade ruff. This logically follows since if you pass partner will do what is "normal" most of the time, in this case that means leading a heart.

I see what you mean, I originally thought that I'm only really beating it with a heart if p has AK, but in fact AJ will do too. I feel like if I had K it would have been clear to lead a heart.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users