BBO Discussion Forums: UI situation during Batman vs Superman TM - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

UI situation during Batman vs Superman TM

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-19, 16:13

Here is a hand from Batman-Superman match where i feel guilty of using UI.

Against 3 NT I led J which was held by K by my pd Csaba. Then pd played 8, declarer 9 and I won with T. I was trying to figure what to do. 8 looked like from originally K8x. Which indicates that declarer had Q9xx. This also means declarer has 5+4 and only 4 cards minors. So I thought even if A blows a trick, declarer still needs diamonds and as long as he does not have Q or has stiff Q I would be fine. Also I had an UI that for some reason I did not see it as such during the game. It took forever for Csaba to play after he took K. Why would he think so long if he had only K8x. Having left with 8x it is obvious even for a beginner to play the 8 right away. So i knew he had hard time to choose whether to play the correct card of smallest from 8xx or try to make a forcing play with 8. Csaba should have played smallest because if declarer has 4 hearts, which makes me lead J from AJTx or AJT9, 8 does not have the force ability in any case.

So I cashed the A dropping the Q. Thank god it did not matter what I played, declarer was going down 2 regardless. But today when I watched the you tube version of the match, I realized that the information I gathered, which did not occur to me at the table as one, actually was an UI. I don't know why I did not see it as such at the table, perhaps because playing almost no live bridge for a long time and haven't been called TD on me.

I truly apologize to opponents even if it did not matter. It really did not occur to me at the moment that this was not an information I could use.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-19, 16:21

To be fair my tempo might be off when I'm recording but this time it took about a minute. Of course one minute of commentary is different than one minute of thinking but yea it is not my normal tempo no matter what.

The hand is at: https://youtu.be/MTfkRsHN_Uc?t=30m45s

Bottom line is, I should know that the 8 does not help against Q9xx.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-19, 19:14

UI may have been transmitted by the tempo of the play of the 8. but it was obviously not received. So YOU did not have UI. Maybe someone else would have UI.

:)

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-June-19, 19:27

View PostArtK78, on 2015-June-19, 19:14, said:

UI may have been transmitted by the tempo of the play of the 8. but it was obviously not received. So YOU did not have UI. Maybe someone else would have UI.

:)

Ok I did not understand this Art.

I think I received it. In my decision to play A, his tempo was not the sole factor but still a supporting factor. It just did not occur to me at the moment that this is the type of info I am not supposed to use.
What am I missing?
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-20, 05:08

From your write up, it appeared to me that partner's tempo did not enter into your decision to play the A. Now you are saying it was a factor. So perhaps I am mistaken.

In any event, you had bridge reasons for playing the A so I don't think there is a problem.

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-20, 05:30

View PostArtK78, on 2015-June-20, 05:08, said:

In any event, you had bridge reasons for playing the A so I don't think there is a problem.

There is often a problem when "bridge reasons" line up with UI, Art. The question is whether there was a LA here and, if there was, if there was damage. I think the answer is no but a write-up in the Laws forum would be one way of confirming that.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#7 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-20, 09:18

Wouldn't East have bid 3 over 3 if he were 5-4 in the majors? West hasn't denied 4 hearts because he might not have strength enough for a reverse, nor has he denied 3 spades. It seems to me that you have sufficient AI to make cashing the A the only LA.

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-June-20, 13:07

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-20, 09:18, said:

Wouldn't East have bid 3 over 3 if he were 5-4 in the majors? West hasn't denied 4 hearts because he might not have strength enough for a reverse, nor has he denied 3 spades. It seems to me that you have sufficient AI to make cashing the A the only LA.

It depends on their style I guess. Some people play 3 denies 4 card . I am definitely one of them. If a hand is good enough for 3 then good enough for reverse for me. I would hate to worry about pd's side 4 card major after he already jumped to 3 in his minor. I'd rather use further bids for slam or best game purposes than trying wonder about side 4M.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users