Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

GIB

#1 User is offline   TheKurgan 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-17, 22:29

Has anyone else noticed the BBO GIB robots doing REALLY stupid things lately?

Like the following:

My hand:

S - Void
H - x x
D - A K 9 8
C - A Q 10 9 8 x x

Partner's hand:

S - x x x
H - Q J 10 9
D - J x x x
C - K x

I open 1C. Lefty says 1S. GIB partner doubles. So far so good. Righty bids 3C, and I double. Lefty PASSES. Instead of passing, partner BIDS 3H! WTF?

Case in point #2

My hand:

S - x
H - J 10 9
D - A K J 9 x
C - K J 10 x

I open 1D, lefty passes. Partner gives me a 2/1 2C, game forcing. Righty passes. I bid 3C. Lefty now chimes in 3S. Partner bids 4C. I bid 5C. Partner bids 6C. Here's what I suspected partner had:

S - x x x
H - A x
D - Q 10 8
C - A Q x x x

What partner REALLY had:

S - A x x
H - Q J
D - x x x
C - Q x x x x

Yes, not only did GIB give me a 2/1 response with 9 HCP, it bid AGAIN after interference.

Now, I'm not the type to complain, usually, and I'm willing to live with a few bad choices made by a bot. That's part of the game. But such egregious errors are beyond the pale.

Who else is in this boat?

TheKurgan

#2 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-18, 00:28

Just a few points:

1) I realise that this is your first post, but we have a dedicated subforum for GIB bug reports. I expect a mod will move this

2) It helps the programmers to iron out the bugs if they get the precise and complete hand details (see below)

3) GIB has ALWAYS done things like this, and to a greater or lesser extent (hopefully the latter) always will. It is a bit of a war of attrition getting these bugs ironed out, but resources are in play.

So, here is your first example

Incidentally, while I agree that 3H is absurd, you appeared surprised that West passed your double of 3C. Don't forget that West knows that East has another bid. Not saying that pass is right, but adds another factor into the mix. As a general rule of thumb (and there ARE exceptions) GIB plays that a call other than pass, when not forced to bid and when partner is still in with another chance to bid, TENDS to show extras. Not mainstream style, perhaps, but that is GIBberish for you,

The second example is not in MyHands, and perhaps the hand was abandoned before completion so we can never see the full detail now. Bit of a shame, because it does look buggy. Apart from anything else, it seems unlikely that 3S by oppo can be a winning bid having hitherto passed throughout. Kind of invites a whack. You're sure that responder was not a passed hand? I agree that 1N would be the normal response at any position. If I may, however, 1D-2C is not GF in GIBberish, even by a non-passed hand. (yes this is still a 1N response).
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-18, 01:14

1D-2C isn't GF in the gib's system. It really only plays 2/1 over majors.
Wayne Somerville

#4 User is offline   TheKurgan 

• Pip

Posted 2015-June-18, 12:32

When I held the cursor over the bid, it said "Forcing 2/1 response ..."

#5 User is offline   TheKurgan 

• Pip

Posted 2015-June-18, 12:35

BTW, I'm sorry I posted this here. I did not realize there was a section devoted to GIB.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-18, 12:43

View PostTheKurgan, on 2015-June-18, 12:32, said:

When I held the cursor over the bid, it said "Forcing 2/1 response ..."

Yes the bid is forcing. Just not to game. And it was still a truly awful bid, even by GIB standards
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-June-18, 21:51

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-June-18, 01:14, said:

1D-2C isn't GF in the gib's system. It really only plays 2/1 over majors.
From a bridge standpoint

1-2 as GF doesn't make much sense. Over a major you have a forcing/semi-forcing 1N to cover the 10-12 pts hands. Over 1 a forcing 1N is not available.

You could bid either 2N or 3 with all invitational hand but this has problems. Generally if you have 5 you often don't want to play NT from your side and you may want to play in . People have other uses for 3 rather than a 6-card INV hand and can be shown easily with a 2 bid usually rebidding 3. Other common uses for 3 are a weak jump-shift, a strong jump-shift or an INV raise for .

I know of people who use 2 as GF, they fall into 2 categories 1) they don't what there doing 2) they have an elaborate system that works for them (possibly like Gazzilli)
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-20, 10:02

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-June-18, 21:51, said:

I know of people who use 2 as GF, they fall into 2 categories 1) they don't what there doing 2) they have an elaborate system that works for them (possibly like Gazzilli)

I guess I don't know what I'm doing, because I play it as GF with everyone that I play 2/1 with.

If you have exactly 5 clubs, <4 diamonds (no inverted raise), and no 4-card major, your shape must be 5332, which is balanced enough to bid 2NT with an invitational hand.

#9 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-21, 13:55

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-20, 10:02, said:

I guess I don't know what I'm doing, because I play it as GF with everyone that I play 2/1 with.

If you have exactly 5 clubs, <4 diamonds (no inverted raise), and no 4-card major, your shape must be 5332, which is balanced enough to bid 2NT with an invitational hand.

I agree with you completely here Barmar. I thought of making a similar reply but did not. I have no better use for 1D-3C than an invitational hand with a good 6 card suit.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users