BBO Discussion Forums: How do players rack up so many points vs the robot? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

How do players rack up so many points vs the robot?

#1 User is offline   bmonger 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-15, 14:11

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere - I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.

I'm a relative newbie, I just started playing bridge last December. I'm pretty good at playing hands, probably an advanced beginner in terms of bidding. I often play against the robot and I think it's a great learning tool for me.

What I'd like to know, is how do players rack up so many points? I sometimes see 15000 or more at the top of the leaderboard list, yet the most I've been able to rack up is around 2500, in about half an hour of play. That's on my best day - ordinarily I wouldn't have 15000 if I played 24 hrs straight.

Are these scores just from pure bridge skills? If so, I tip my hat to you!

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-15, 14:31

View Postbmonger, on 2015-June-15, 14:11, said:

Hi all,

I apologize if this has been asked elsewhere - I searched the forum and couldn't find an answer.

I'm a relative newbie, I just started playing bridge last December. I'm pretty good at playing hands, probably an advanced beginner in terms of bidding. I often play against the robot and I think it's a great learning tool for me.

What I'd like to know, is how do players rack up so many points? I sometimes see 15000 or more at the top of the leaderboard list, yet the most I've been able to rack up is around 2500, in about half an hour of play. That's on my best day - ordinarily I wouldn't have 15000 if I played 24 hrs straight.

Are these scores just from pure bridge skills? If so, I tip my hat to you!

Are you talking about the anonymous games on BBO's homepage (Just Play Bridge, Bridge 4 Hands, etc)?

#3 User is offline   bmonger 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-16, 09:55

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-15, 14:31, said:

Are you talking about the anonymous games on BBO's homepage (Just Play Bridge, Bridge 4 Hands, etc)?

Yes, 'Just Play Bridge'.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-16, 10:57

These games are what we call "best hand". That means, deals are rotated to give the hand with most points to the human player. This information is very useful to allow players to bid, jump to game, know when to avoid bad slams, etc.

For example, when you are dealt a hand with 11-12 points, you know partner doesn't have enough for game and you can just pass out that hand.
Or, when you have say 12-13 points and a fit, partner opens the bidding, you can just bid game directly, rather than waste time describing your hand. You know partner doesn't have any extras so just bid whatever game you belong to.

Here's a discussion with tips on how to score high and fast in such games. It refers to a type of tournament that is time limited (you have to score as high as possible in only 25 minutes, or 15 minutes), but since you are asking how to score high in a short period of time, it fits "Just Play Bridge" strategies as well:

http://bridgebase.co...ace-strategies/

#5 User is offline   bmonger 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-16, 15:32

Thanks much!

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users