• You cannot reply to this topic

This went to appeal

#1 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-14, 03:43

First off a bidding question:

What is your call?

You were probably expecting this to be a normal hesitation issue but...
Spoiler

Your thoughts? I've tried to make this as impartial as possible, but I was in fact involved. I will tell you exactly how later.
Thanks.

#2 User is offline   paulg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-14, 03:58

South would have to be convincing to persuade me that he'd remembered the system and then had decided to deviate from it in this situation. The AC has had the advantage of hearing his views and he appears to have done the job with them - in such circumstances their decision to leave the table result is reasonable given their belief that there was no infraction.

However I'm surprised. I'd have expected South to imply some doubt about their methods and then I'd rule it back to four hearts as pass is clearly an LA and 4S has more upside when you have a spade or two more than partner expects.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#3 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 05:42

I don't like this ruling at all, what East said at the table is correct ("South was not entitled to the information that North was showing a good hand, he should only think that his partner is showing a weak no trump with 4 spades, and that he can only be bidding 4 if there is no logical alternative here") and pass is an LA for South. Score should be adjusted to 4H=.

ahydra

#4 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 06:22

As this was in EBU land it would be interesting to here what Gordon has to say.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 16:34

I cannot imagine how the jurisdiction would matter here. South has UI which could/would/did suggest 4S over the LA of PASS.

It doesn't even matter whether the UI South has is consistent with North's actual holding.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 18:14

Even if their methods were that double showed three or fewer spades and South forgot, South still has UI and Law 75 tells us that he must continue to believe that his double showed four spades. Pass is clearly an LA, and I suspect one or more facts are inaccurately reported. North would not bid 2S if he thought his partner had a takeout double of 1H with three or fewer spades.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#7 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-14, 20:19

lamford, on 2015-June-14, 18:14, said:

I suspect one or more facts are inaccurately reported.

On that we fully agree. No "international" anything...player or director could possibly think there was no UI. Actually, if there was no UI to South, then North misstated their agreements and told a porky about why he bid 2S. I don't want to believe North did that.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 01:57

KurtGodel, on 2015-June-14, 06:22, said:

As this was in EBU land it would be interesting to here what Gordon has to say.

It doesn't sound as though it was an EBU event as we have a policy against having our TDs on appeals committees unless there is really no practical alternative.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-15, 02:08

I don't understand this hand at all. Why did N bid 2 if he really thought his partner denied 4 spades?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#10 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 02:34

Well I can tell you now that I was East and I really have given you all the information that there is. This was an EBU event (Oxfordshire congress), and I could give the names of all the people involved if you want. I was basically wondering whether it was worth appealing this to the Laws and Ethics committee.
Yes 2 is clearly mental, but you pay your table money, you can bid what you want.

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 05:29

South invokes the lott but there may be as little as 16 total trumps (assuming ns plays 5cM) and 17 is quite likely even if they play 4cM. So 4S is by no means obvious.

This is an adjustment and a pp.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#12 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 06:19

helene_t, on 2015-June-15, 05:29, said:

South invokes the lott but there may be as little as 16 total trumps (assuming ns plays 5cM) and 17 is quite likely even if they play 4cM. So 4S is by no means obvious.

This is an adjustment and a pp.

pp?

#13 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-15, 06:25

KurtGodel, on 2015-June-15, 06:19, said:

pp?

Procedural penalty. See Law 90.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#14 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-June-15, 07:08

KurtGodel, on 2015-June-15, 02:34, said:

I was basically wondering whether it was worth appealing this to the Laws and Ethics committee.

It would be good if you said this from the outset so that some of us could stop reading. :)

The secretary of the Laws and Ethics committee can help if you are considering such an appeal.
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#15 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 07:50

KurtGodel, on 2015-June-15, 02:34, said:

This was an EBU event (Oxfordshire congress)

That makes it not an EBU event, but a county event, so I'll keep out of this.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#16 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 08:06

gordontd, on 2015-June-15, 07:50, said:

That makes it not an EBU event, but a county event, so I'll keep out of this.

OK I didn't realise there was a distinction. They were wearing the red shirts so I just assumed.

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-15, 10:36

Redshirt.
B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 10:39

blackshoe, on 2015-June-15, 10:36, said:

Sadly the director was not sent on a foreboding mission.

#19 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-June-15, 10:56

What UI does South have? That North was prepared to bid 2 Spades opposite a 3-card (or even fewer cards) suit - and so won't have a weak 4-card suit (which he might have absent the UI) - but should have a pretty good 5-card suit.
South knows of course that the vulnerability is in his favour so the question now is: is 4 Spades demonstrably suggested by the raise. With a good spade fit and favourable vulnerability I would say yes! Is there a logical alternative? yes! Pass - Let North choose - South hasn't very much extra.

So we conduct a poll - to verify if a pass is a LA.

re comment: "South had deviated from system." There is of course a possibility that North has made a call that allowed for partner having made a wrong call (raising to 2S on a 'known' 4-3 (or even 4-2!) fit) - did South Hesitate or give any UI himself? This could be a fielded misbid (EBU rules are that 'if it seemed' as though such a breach had occurred then the rules are to award an artificial adjusted score av+, av- - breach of laws 40A, 40B) Now this is described as applying in an EBU event. Assuming the EBU are the RA doesn't it mean that it applies to all events in England?

If North has no UI then he can do what he likes - but why bid 2 and not 2 when South could have had:-

AQJ42
JT43

(Which seems more likely)
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-15, 15:27

aguahombre, on 2015-June-14, 20:19, said:

On that we fully agree. No "international" anything...player or director could possibly think there was no UI.

This is at best tangential to the topic at hand, since there is no evidence that any "international" anything was asked their opinion.

Counties pay money to the EBU as a condition of holding events. I think that the EBU is, ultimately, responsible for what goes on at them.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users