• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

This went to appeal

#21 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-15, 15:46

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-15, 15:27, said:

This is at best tangential to the topic at hand, since there is no evidence that any "international" anything was asked their opinion.

We have a statement by the OP that two internationals gave a ruling about what is a LA; I disputed that contention because I don't believe any player or TD with any kind of international stature would do that; how is that not on-topic?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#22 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-15, 17:06

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-June-15, 15:46, said:

We have a statement by the OP that two internationals gave a ruling about what is a LA; I disputed that contention because I don't believe any player or TD with any kind of international stature would do that; how is that not on-topic?

I think you misread that.

#23 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-15, 17:07

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-June-15, 15:46, said:

I cannot see any statement by the OP that two internationals gave a ruling about what is an LA.

"EW ask him whether he polled any players and he said he just polled the directors as they didn't have the time in a small event (60 tables). EW elected to appeal. The appeal committee was made up of one experienced tournament player, one experienced tournament director and one less experienced tournament director (despite the fact that two internationals - Mike Bell and Glyn Liggins - were present)."

I presume that "were present" means "were present playing at the event" rather than "were present at the AC", but I might be misreading it, although I am pleased to see that Aardv, almost simultaneously, came to the same conclusion.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#24 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2015-June-16, 01:17

View PostKurtGodel, on 2015-June-15, 02:34, said:

This was an EBU event (Oxfordshire congress), and I could give the names of all the people involved if you want. I was basically wondering whether it was worth appealing this to the Laws and Ethics committee.

If you are seriously considering this, then it is important to understand the process and any time limits. I expect that the regulating authority was the Oxfordshire Bridge Association and its process is the first port of call. I doubt that the EBU Laws and Ethics Committee would consider any case before the county process has been exhausted.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#25 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-16, 02:20

View Postpaulg, on 2015-June-16, 01:17, said:

If you are seriously considering this, then it is important to understand the process and any time limits. I expect that the regulating authority was the Oxfordshire Bridge Association and its process is the first port of call. I doubt that the EBU Laws and Ethics Committee would consider any case before the county process has been exhausted.

Is there actually a county process? In London there is not, as far as I am aware (and I did use to be on the committee).
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#26 User is offline   Pig Trader 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-16, 16:13

The appeal committee was made up of one experienced tournament player, one experienced tournament director and one less experienced tournament director.

The two TDs on the Appeal Committee could not have been EBU TDs as none were playing in the event.
Barrie Partridge, England

#27 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-16, 16:31

View PostPig Trader, on 2015-June-16, 16:13, said:

The two TDs on the Appeal Committee could not have been EBU TDs as none were playing in the event.

Double!
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#28 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-16, 17:49

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-16, 02:20, said:

Is there actually a county process? In London there is not, as far as I am aware (and I did use to be on the committee).

There should be one, Norfolk had to work one of these out after I appealed one in our Corwen quali a few years back, and the EBU wouldn't touch it till the county procedure had been exhausted.

#29 User is offline   dburn 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-16, 19:34

Did anyone ask South why he doubled 1?
When Senators have had their sport
And sealed the Law by vote,
It little matters what they thought -
We hang for what they wrote.

#30 User is offline   paulg 

Posted 2015-June-17, 00:50

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-16, 02:20, said:

I presume that the county's Competition Bylaws would apply to the congress - http://www.oxfordshi...oba/bylaws.html. It seems that appeals should be made to the county within seven days of the event.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#31 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-17, 13:18

I definitely think that passing 4 is an LA.

As for the directors, it seems that they basically ruled "stop bugging me".
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#32 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-17, 15:32

View Postbillw55, on 2015-June-17, 13:18, said:

I definitely think that passing 4 is an LA. As for the directors, it seems that they basically ruled "stop bugging me".
The director polled fellow directors instead of players? Then he formed the appeals committee from fellow directors when qualified players were available.? This fits BBF reports of the kind of thing that happens at international level, without appeals committees :(

On the evidence available, EW deserved a more favourable ruling. But even if the ruling is correct, it would be better were justice seen to be done.

BTW, is this the right forum?

#33 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-17, 19:54

Probably not. I'll move it.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users