• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Worth a GF bid?

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-13, 06:07

Matchpoints, all white. What's your plan with this hand?

You are playing 2/1.

#2 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-13, 06:15

Call the director, claim a sudden onset of nausea, and leave the table.

This has to be on of the more difficult choices ever. However, I cannot bring myself to gf, so I bid 1N, fully aware that I am probably going to have another bout of nausea at my second turn.

At least it's mps. The notion of holding this hand at imps, vulnerable, is truly ugly.

Note that I haven't told you my plan after 1N. Maybe partner will bid 2H. Yeah, right.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 06:17

I got the nausea part right at the table.

#4 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-13, 06:29

I think i will game force. If i (eventually) find p top-heavy in spades then i will just sigh and berate my luck.

As Mike suggested 1NT - this, imo, has a problem in that one is never going to be able to pattern out ones hand. Over 2S response 3C may well be passed out with suitable hands and ones heart suit is lost.

1S 2C 2S 3H potentially shows my hand shape at this point but maybe i am lying about my high card strength. I certainly dont want to miss out on pin-pointing a good 3 card H suit opposite.

Of course if p bids 2D or 2H over 2C there is more room to show ones shape. Over 2H one is happy, over 2D one can bid 2H and then bid 3H and we are still at the 3 level.

Difficult hand to bid i agree :(
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#5 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-13, 07:47

People who say they play 2/1, then bid 2C over 1S with this hand, are not playing 2/1 G.F.

After recovering from the initial illness I try a forcing NT, planning to rebid 3C if nothing good happens.

There are two camps about how to show 10-12 and a long club suit -- 1) direct 2) delayed through 1NT. We believe the delayed route is better because something good might happen in between. Here, Opener might accidentally rebid 2H.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#6 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 08:57

No problem with forcing NT then clubs to play if partner does not bid hearts.
(Even better if you are playing a 15 count Gazzilli method, but not that common.)
It is a problem if you are playing a non-forcing NT.

#7 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 09:07

At MPs I'll take my chances with a semi-forcing 1NT.

At IMPs I'd force to game.

#8 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-13, 09:17

Caveat I don't play 2/1.

I tend to take the rosy view on these hands and sometimes come unstuck on the huge 2 suited misfits, I think I would GF and at least get my shape over.

#9 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 09:32

I would never GF with this playing 2/1. I am burned a lot. Once you hear 2 over 2 you know you are screwed already, it is like a runaway truck after this.
Think about it, pd will open almost all 12 hcp and a lot of 10-11 with 5-5 6-5 hands. When there is misfit of bicolor hands even 26 hcp is not sufficient to bring the tricks needed most of the time. And this is MP. Tbh even at IMPs I probably would not dare it.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#10 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 22:00

I would probably consider this to be GF hand opposite anything but spades and guess what they have spades. Especially true with partnerships that like to open really light. I would go the 1N forcing route (without the need for Mylanta) and hope to get in clubs somewhere unless perchance p bids hearts (roflol). Minors are generally ugleeeeee at MP but salvaging a + score usually keeps things from being too horrible. You realize you are at a disadvantage to all those SAYC bidders so try to not make things worse by overbidding in a precarious situation.

#11 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-13, 23:55

Thanks for the replies. I made a 2/1 bid at the table, but I wanted to know if it's clear to upgrade or not. To my defense, we don't open light so I expected a full opener across.

The auction took a funny turn at the table, which we weren't able to capitalize properly.

I meant my X as penalty, but partner didn't take it so. (Should X be penalty in that position?) Then to make things perfect I didn't realize why he'd pull so was reluctant to bid 3NT et voila, here's how to score 20%.

#12 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 00:58

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-13, 23:55, said:

I meant my X as penalty, but partner didn't take it so. (Should X be penalty in that position?) Then to make things perfect I didn't realize why he'd pull so was reluctant to bid 3NT et voila, here's how to score 20%.

My opinion is that although switching to penalty doubles in G/F auctions where both partners have showed a real suit is technically superior, the advantage is small and making the change isn't worth the extra discussion/agreements so I prefer to stick with T/O doubles especially in a pickup partnership.

At MPs, if I did guess to start 2C I would forget about the G/F and pass out 2H. You already took a 'position' by bidding 2C, partner is marked with a minimum hand, limited club support and the hand screams misfit so I'd gamble that any positive score for our side will be reasonable score. It's also very likely that the opponents are playing in a 5/0 or 5/1 heart fit with a 5/4 diamond fit on the side!

#13 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 01:23

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-June-14, 00:58, said:

My opinion is that although switching to penalty doubles in G/F auctions where both partners have showed a real suit is technically superior, the advantage is small and making the change isn't worth the extra discussion/agreements so I prefer to stick with T/O doubles especially in a pickup partnership.

At MPs, if I did guess to start 2C I would forget about the G/F and pass out 2H. You already took a 'position' by bidding 2C, partner is marked with a minimum hand, limited club support and the hand screams misfit so I'd gamble that any positive score for our side will be reasonable score. It's also very likely that the opponents are playing in a 5/0 or 5/1 heart fit with a 5/4 diamond fit on the side!

Thanks, very good points. I got all giggly when opps bid hearts and didn't think it through. Pass would have been great there - it simply didn't cross my mind.

This isn't a pickup partnership, it's my most regular partnership actually, so I think it's worth the extra discussion to clear up what's pass, what's X, etc. We agreed that pass means nothing to say while X would be penalty, but I'm not convinced this is ideal. It's easy to remember, so that's a good thing, but normally if opps interfere in our GF sequence they'd be harder to punish for a worthy score, I think.

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-14, 01:46

The Double of 2H should be penalty even if you have bid a forcing NT. But, when you are in a game forcing and natural auction, you should be making natural bids. Your double of 2H says you want to defend 2H doubled; and partner with the balanced hand expected when he passed 2H has no reason to remove it. Using your Double in this scenario as takeout is just plain silly. If you had spade support you would bid spades, if you wanted to rebid clubs you would have rebid clubs, and if you had a diamond suit to go with your clubs you would bid diamonds.

Furthermore, if opener had hearts and no particular club fit he would have doubled and if he had a 2NT rebid he would have bid 2NT; so, everyone on the planet should know that your side wants to stop off and penalize them. It wasn't just you playing some other method than 2/1; neither was partner.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#15 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2015-June-14, 05:52

Your partners bidding does not make sense in the case he took your double as take -out. If you are in FG auction, he knows that you should end up in game, so he has nothing to risk to double with his hand(If he thinks your playing TO doubles here), which you then would pass, I assume.
As for the meaning of the double here - usually if you are in FG situation, there should be a forcing pass/penalty double, situation so the double is penalty.

#16 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 07:32

Yes we screwed up badly, nothing makes much sense there. I'll toss it up to brain freeze I think and at least we now know we are allowed to punish opps, then use our judgement better to decide whether to continue bidding our suits naturally or double them.

#17 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-14, 09:47

4 is horrible, you should have at least been in 3N.

I can't laugh too much, we'd have opened the N hand a weak notrump, and could well play 4. Yuk.

#18 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-14, 10:50

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-14, 01:23, said:

Thanks, very good points. I got all giggly when opps bid hearts and didn't think it through. Pass would have been great there - it simply didn't cross my mind.

This isn't a pickup partnership, it's my most regular partnership actually, so I think it's worth the extra discussion to clear up what's pass, what's X, etc. We agreed that pass means nothing to say while X would be penalty, but I'm not convinced this is ideal. It's easy to remember, so that's a good thing, but normally if opps interfere in our GF sequence they'd be harder to punish for a worthy score, I think.

I thought that most 2/1 partnerships would play double as penalty here, at least my side of the pond. For those reasons you can't really pass out 2, partner could have a rock crusher and he might easily just be making a forcing pass and intending to pull a penalty double, to show extra shape. I think on this hand I would probably bid 1NT if that is truly forcing and bid 2 if we were playing a semi-forcing NT.

When partner bids 3, I think we must bid 3NT at any form of scoring/vul. I'm slightly confused, if your partner thought double was takeout, why didn't he make one himself?

#19 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-June-15, 09:24

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-June-14, 09:47, said:

I can't laugh too much, we'd have opened the N hand a weak notrump, and could well play 4. Yuk.

Why 4? Presumably Opener will show 2 hearts and 3 clubs in some way, possibly also 5 spades, and now it seems strange to insist on the weak 5-2 fit.
(-: Zel :-)

#20 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-15, 09:32

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-June-15, 09:24, said:

Why 4? Presumably Opener will show 2 hearts and 3 clubs in some way, possibly also 5 spades, and now it seems strange to insist on the weak 5-2 fit.

We don't have a GF transfer to clubs available (our GF with clubs is single suited), so we're not going to be showing more than 4 clubs taking it slowly, TBH I might well just bid 4 over 1N to conceal my shape.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users