BBO Discussion Forums: if 1h-3h is pre-emptive how do you show a strong hand with good fit? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

if 1h-3h is pre-emptive how do you show a strong hand with good fit?

#1 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-12, 03:49

let's say partner opens 1M and you have 4 of his suit and opening points. Game seems almost certain so how do you indicate that you should go to game (and if he has a powerhouse investigate slam) while setting trump as M?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-12, 05:10

On BBO, most advanced players are used to playing
1M-3M invitational, i.e. about 10 points
1M-2NT is a game forcing raise.

This is also, as I understand it, what most North American club players play.

Could you tell us where you live and what system you play? Maybe add that information about to your forum profile. That would make it easier for us to answer such questions.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 06:03

Yes, the lack of forcing raises was one of the biggest problems with old fashioned "standard American" bidding. Now there are various gadgets for this. With game forcing hands, you can choose Jacoby 2NT or a splinter, or other tools as may be available. Or, if the hand is suitable, you can proceed with a forcing bids in other suits, perhaps getting useful information from partners rebids, and planning to set trumps later.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#4 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 07:01

I thought that in very old fashioned standard American bidding, 1H-3H was a forcing raise.

In England it was common just to bid a new suit on the way, which could be a 3 carder. Best to make sure it was lower ranking, so that you can always correct back at the same level if partner raises your temporising suit. To be frank, nothing much really bad tends to happen if you do that, expect that 2N to promise a fit at the outset gives you more control. Even a jump in a lower ranking suit was sometimes used on just "prepared" length.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#5 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-June-12, 07:45

Don't forget the strong jump shift. Can be used with16-19 pts 4-card support and good 5+ side suit. You support partner with next bid to show this hand to differentiate from other strong jump shifts.

eg. 1-3

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#6 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 08:18

Standard systems (including sayc) can use 2n (generally promising balanced hand 13-16) and raise to 4s after p rebid (unless their hand improves dramatically when p bids over 2n).
This is an inefficient use of space (though easy to play) and more and more pairs have adopted jacoby 2n (game forcing M suit raise) even if they do not play 2/1. I also use my J2n to include invitational hands (opener rebids 3M to show no game interest opposite an invite). This leaves room for 1M 3M as preemptive (vs the more normal invitational).

With unbalanced hands it is far better using a standard system to "temporize" by bidding their long suit first then jumping in partner's major (be careful and do not bid at only the 3 level unless you are SURE your partner will realize this is game forcing).

#7 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-June-12, 09:44

This use 1M-3M indicating a preemptive hand (GIB uses it) when i played with i didn't like because playing the good and omogeneous Stayman system (close Culbertson one and its rules) there meaning is :a balanced hand with 14-18 range of force. This system use preemptive when inteference there is (1-(1)-3 instead of raising with 9-11 points turn in 6-11 jumping at 3rd level. I think that is better ruling so as in Stayman system.(Lovera)

#8 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-12, 16:38

i live in Canada and as for "system" I first learned the charles goren style of play and that is mostly what I use.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users