Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

A puzzle from Slothy

#1 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-11, 08:17

Slothy submitted this for the BBO News. I thought it was cute. Give it a try if you enjoy puzzles:

http://doc.bridgebas...rdlogicbbo.html

#2 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-13, 02:53

It was a good puzzle but the interface is too clunky. You need to be able to write notes in the incomplete cells, or at the very least be able to enter a denomination without a suit. I gave up with it and used Excel instead, which made it a lot easier.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#3 User is offline   slothy 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-13, 06:15

Hi Mark (Zel),

By the way, congrats on finishing the puzzle :)

I agree with you entirely....however if one was to program in features to facilitate working out the puzzle, the interface would become more cluttered than it already is - and would add to the complexity of understanding what a solver had to do. I had wanted to include a pdf file for easy print-out and such, and when i thought about what i could include to aid a puzzler the gain involved would not outweigh the effort (of the programmer).

I wanted to concentrate on providing an interface to automate the submission - this was my primary concern. The alternative was for a person having to submit the puzzle manually through email to Diana (this was the procedure in the past on others i have done) a lot of effort for the solver and an unnecessary burden on Diana. Having Hints and Testing the entries midstream i thought was sufficent help for the solver. Nothing wrong in getting a blank piece of paper(s) to scribble ones workings on :)

One added feature i am including is to give an up-to-date list of current solvers :) So i guess you will be on that list soon :)

Anyway, good luck to all who attempt it,

Alex
gaudium est miseris socios habuisse penarum - Misery loves company.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-16, 05:36

Solution is now available, to spare you the misery in case you are still struggling.

Well done to the Solvers.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users