Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Forum support question Posting (long) hyperlinks

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-10, 17:23

I don't think that it happens every time, but it certainly happens regularly.

If I post an external hyperlink within the body of a message in BB forums, and the link is "long" ie comprised of a significantly large number of characters, then the link gets truncated with an ellipsis "..." inserted as a substitute for much of the main body of the link.

What I expect to happen in these cases is that the *visible* description of the link in the message is truncated, but the underlying link when you click on it should be the full biz.

An example is with uva72uva72's posts such as this one:

http://tinyurl.com/qaudmaf

His/her links *appear* as simply "My link" underlined, but the actual hyperlink that you access by clicking on "My link" is the full expanded version.

In my case, where the link gets truncated in the explanation, I suspect that it is also getting truncated in the underlying link, because regularly I note that clicking on the link produces a "page not found" error.

I can get around the problem by converting the link into a tinyURL that is sufficiently short that it does not get truncated, but I would still be interested to know if there is something that I am doing wrong that requires that remedy.

It may be down to browser choice, and I have to own up to using IE11 (under Win 8.1)
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-11, 08:36

This isn't done by the browser, it's done by the server, so I don't think your browser should have anything to do with it.

Can you give an example where you posted a link and it caused an error (or just post a reply here with such a link)? I think the most common problem is putting punctuation after the link -- the server code that figures out where the link ends treats the punctuation as part of the link. It doesn't have anything to do with the link being long.

The safest way to post a link is to type the visible text (usually a short description), mark it with the mouse, then click the link icon in the toolbar and paste the URL into the box.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-11, 11:57

OK thanks.

I did have an recent example but edited it so the original failing link is no longer there. I shall keep an eye out for it happening again.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users