#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-June-10, 16:57

opps are silent take it away!

thanks

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 17:14

I suppose many will start with 1c=1d=2nt

now many may stop at 3nt

some will get to 6c or 6nt which is not that great on a h lead

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 18:09

1c normal
1d normal
1h normal (many may jump to 2n here but it is a huge waste of space and risks missing 4h imho)
3c invite had 2s available for game forcing 1s natural
3n knowing p is limited to 11 hcp it will take some extreme luck to find 6c and no method I am aware of will allow for this kind of discovery. For ex: change the heart K to QJ or the dia J to the club J and 6 is looking bad.
PASs normal pretty much told story with 3c.

#4 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 18:37

This is very borderline for us as we play good 19-21 for our 2N opener and this is a decent 19 that could be assessed either way.

1-1
1N(15-bad 19)-2(asking)
3(4 not 5, not 3 so 3424 17-19)-4(borderline, I can believe 3N particlarly at pairs ending the auction)
4(keycard)-4(1)

The keycard might seem crude, but it looks like a heart lead could be awkward whether partner has that ace or not, but having bid the suit, I think if I don't advertise a spade control and no heart control I'm most likely to receive a spade lead. Partner will have 5+ good diamonds to bid like this or he'd have started with an inverted raise.

Over a 2N opener we'd bid:

2N-3(minor suited slam try)
3N(forced)-4(both minors, more )

#5 User is offline   ycos 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-11, 01:35

1-1
2NT-3
3-3NT

@2nt openning , S play slam anyway

2nt-4(transf to )
4-4NT
5(0-3 cc ,2Aces+K )-6(choose or )

#6 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-June-11, 02:59

I can think of plenty of auctions but getting to slam by South is not so easy. Acol might be one of the few that this would work in but you probably have to take a punt at some point, for example:

1 - 2;
2NT - 3;
4 - 6 (or slam methods of choice if those help)

Most natural systems are going to start 1 - 1; 2NT or 1 - 1; 2NT and now you might reach slam but everything is wrong-sided. I have precisely the same issue in my strong club system, where the auction begins 1 - 1; 1NT.

I think what would be most interesting for me here is an analysis of the MP expectation between 3NT(N), 6(N) and 6NT(N). I would guess at 3NT(N) being the most popular contract, and therefore the safe choice, in almost any field.
(-: Zel :-)

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 04:09

1c-1d-2nt-3c-3s-3nt in normal methods

#8 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 05:02

wank, on 2015-June-11, 04:09, said:

1c-1d-2nt-3c-3s-3nt in normal methods

3s?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#9 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 05:45

MrAce, on 2015-June-11, 05:02, said:

3s?

all natural. well, 3s showing spade concentration rather than length - responder seems very unlikely to have spades .

of course some people play some sort of artificial rebid over 2nt (personally i normally play natural because i don't bother to agree anything else. i certainly wouldn't want to play checkback though) but OP didn't mention anything.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-11, 09:10

Why does anyone feel the need to be in slam?

I think that in a decent field the majority of the field would end up in the normal, and optimal, contract of 3N. Some aggressive pairs would reach 6 from North, almost certainly having telegraphed a heart lead, and thus reaching a contract that will fail well over half the time.

In my partnerships I would hope the auction went 1 1 2N 3N

On an aggressive day, S would transfer via 3 over 2N, since we play transfers here. 3 would show clubs, with the values for a mild slam try or better...with better,S can bid again over a 3N signoff. Were S to so this, and I don't think he should, then we'd get to slam since N has great trumps, great diamonds (for a club slam) and a maximum with controls.

I think S should content himself with 3N because his clubs are short and weak, total hcp are going to be borderline at best, and the spade shortage may well be wasted opposite a strong balanced hand with (ostensibly) values in both major.

6 wouldn't be the worst slam my partnerships have reached, but I think it one we should, usually, manage to avoid.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-11, 09:54

I didn't say I wanted to be in 6, just that it was quite likely I'd be there and from the wrong side.

#12 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-June-11, 09:56

There was an article in Bridge Today around 15 years ago explaining a method developed by Peter Weichsel and it started with the auction 1 - 1 - 2N. I'm going off memory, but I think it worked as such:

3 - forcing with shortness (3 asks s/v I think?)
3M - singleton and slam try in clubs

3-> 3, then: 3M = 4 of the other major.
3N = balanced slam try in one (?) of the minors?

Here, 6 (by South) is good but its impossible, short of North opening 2N and South angling to protect the K. Such feats only occur in bidding contests.

if you weaken North's spades and strengthen the hearts, then 6 is pretty good and the above methods would help you find it.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#13 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-June-11, 10:20

Phil, on 2015-June-11, 09:56, said:

Here, 6 (by South) is good but its impossible, short of North opening 2N and South angling to protect the K. Such feats only occur in bidding contests.

There is a fairly natural auction that gets there, but it requires a redistribution of the honours to give S a better club suit than 10xxx to do it. All it requires is S to start with 3 over 2N looking for 5 hearts, then bid diamonds then bid clubs, but you're not going to do that with 10xxx.

#14 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2015-June-11, 23:16

Hi,

I will end up in 3NT.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#15 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-12, 08:48

Me too. 3NT. Boring, yes.

1 - 1 - 2NT - 3NT
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#16 User is offline   rmnka447 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Golf, Soccer

Posted 2015-June-17, 12:15

1 - 1
2 NT - 3 NT

would seem normal to me.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic