• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Questioning during the bidding

#1 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-10, 12:42

This hand came up last night. I was E, I don't know N, but he seemed like an experienced and at least reasonably competent club player:

(ETA fixed the bidding; ReETA - though forgot to include the alert that opening 4441s 1N is systematic for us)

This hand did not exactly cover me in glory, but I was quite annoyed by how it had gone down (I didn't involve the director at the time, since it was my first time at the club, and I didn't really care that much about the hand when we were doing so poorly anyway).

After W's Xfer break, N started to ask questions about whether we play retransfers and what the break showed. We were well behind at the time and feeling very rushed, which if not justifies, maybe gives some context to the rest of the auction. I'd been planning to sign off in 4S to catch up, but since N seemed substantial enough to know that he shouldn't be asking questions if he wasn't thinking about bidding, I thought he ought to have the KC, and decided to make the slam try - but quickly changed my mind after S's X.

My partner carried on - I now think rightly, and that I should have been able to place him with a singleton if I'd trusted him, but at the time I was feeling flustered, and figured that he'd lost his mind and decided to bid RKCB (I'd also forgotten that, by our agreement, his 4N was Turbo). Since any (RKCB) response could excite him and I was still feeling flustered, and he was showing values in my weak suits, I figured passing would at least end the pain, hopefully ensure a positive and might even score us a similar number of tricks to spades and conceivably be our last making contract.

So, 0 out of 10 for my decision-making on this board. Nonetheless, when I wondered about N's hand, and when I saw it later, felt that he'd acted unethically in asking questions with such a poor hand. Had I been in a really competitive match, I thought I might have asked for a director ruling, on the grounds that (I claim), he'd talked us out of 4S (for about 50%, as opposed to our approx 6% for 4N managing to go off 1). So, had I done so, how would the ruling have gone?
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#2 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-June-10, 13:07

North has every right to know what the calls mean, even if he doesn't intend to bid. Asking questions risks giving UI to your partner (law 16) but that doesn't really seem an issue. This is covered under law 20.

F. Explanation of Calls
1. During the auction and before the final pass, any player may request,
but only at his own turn to call, an explanation of the opponents’ prior
auction. He is entitled to know about calls actually made, about relevant
alternative calls available that were not made, and about relevant
inferences from the choice of action where these are matters of
partnership understanding. Except on the instruction of the Director
replies should be given by the partner of the player who made the call
in question. The partner of a player who asks a question may not ask a
supplementary question until his turn to call or play. Law 16 may apply
and the Regulating Authority may establish regulations for written
explanations.
G. Incorrect Procedure
1. It is improper to ask a question solely for partner’s benefit.

Repeatedly asking questions may come under harassment, which is not allowed.

However we must look at law 73

D. Variations in Tempo or Manner
1. It is desirable, though not always required, for players to maintain steady
tempo and unvarying manner. However, players should be particularly
careful when variations may work to the benefit of their side. Otherwise,
unintentionally to vary the tempo or manner in which a call or play is
made is not in itself an infraction. Inferences from such variation may
appropriately be drawn only by an opponent, and at his own risk.
2. A player may not attempt to mislead an opponent by means of remark
or gesture,
by the haste or hesitancy of a call or play (as in hesitating
before playing a singleton), the manner in which a call or play is made
or by any purposeful deviation from correct procedure.

I think that you have read too much as what is and what is not allowed in the auction as you seem to have made some assumptions (regarding KC for instance) that are unwarranted under the laws. Now it may be that North was hoping that you would do so (as above), but I would find that very hard to prove.

I think that (assuming you can), you could ask the TD to record the incident so see whether North has 'form' in trying to mislead opponents.
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#3 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 13:27

Thanks. I do not believe N had any deceitful intent.

#4 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 16:56

I'm confused. Were you East, as you said in the OP, or West?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#5 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 07:43

East. Why?

#6 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 07:58

View PostJinksy, on 2015-June-11, 07:43, said:

East. Why?

I think this bit is very confusing

My partner carried on - I now think rightly, and that I should have been able to place him with a singleton if I'd trusted him, but at the time I was feeling flustered, and figured that he'd lost his mind and decided to bid RKCB (I'd also forgotten that, by our agreement, his 4N was Turbo). Since any (RKCB) response could excite him and I was still feeling flustered, and he was showing values in my weak suits, I figured passing would at least end the pain, hopefully ensure a positive and might even score us a similar number of tricks to spades and conceivably be our last making contract.

as it talks about you being the one passing 4NT when in fact you were the one who bid 4NT.

ahydra

#7 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 08:41

you seem to have some funny ideas. opps can ask questions. they aren't supposed to be deliberately deceptive, for example asking about a 5H response to RKCB, "does that deny the queen of trumps?" when looking at it, but aside from that they can ask any relevant questions whenever they like. they risk giving their partner UI if there's a pattern to those questions, but giving UI isn't illegal either.

#8 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-11, 08:42

View Postahydra, on 2015-June-11, 07:58, said:

I think this bit is very confusing
as it talks about you being the one passing 4NT when in fact you were the one who bid 4NT.

Good, it's not just me. :)

#9 User is offline   weejonnie 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge Laws, croquet

Posted 2015-June-11, 09:56

View Postwank, on 2015-June-11, 08:41, said:

you seem to have some funny ideas. opps can ask questions. they aren't supposed to be deliberately deceptive, for example asking about a 5H response to RKCB, "does that deny the queen of trumps?" when looking at it, but aside from that they can ask any relevant questions whenever they like. they risk giving their partner UI if there's a pattern to those questions, but giving UI isn't illegal either.

Of course not - director can take advantage of comments and gestures made by his opponents at his own risk - but his opponents cannot try and mislead declarer (other by deceptive cards played in tempo).
No matter how well you know the laws, there is always something that you'll forget. That is why we have a book.
Get the facts. No matter what people say, get the facts from both sides BEFORE you make a ruling or leave the table.
Remember - just because a TD is called for one possible infraction, it does not mean that there are no others.
In a judgement case - always refer to other TDs and discuss the situation until they agree your decision is correct.
The hardest rulings are inevitably as a result of failure of being called at the correct time. ALWAYS penalize both sides if this happens.

#10 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 10:15

I am surprised that no one seems to have objected to the questions about re-transfers. I thought that most people on these forums were wedded to the bizarre notion that players must not ask or answer questions about possible calls that have not come up yer.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#11 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-11, 10:34

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-11, 10:15, said:

I am surprised that no one seems to have objected to the questions about re-transfers. I thought that most people on these forums were wedded to the bizarre notion that players must not ask or answer questions about possible calls that have not come up yer.

Yeh, it is truly disgusting that people actually read 20F1 and think it should be followed.

The traditional way for forum members to avoid this, and other rules if we don't like them, is to claim they are unclear.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#12 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 10:38

View Postwank, on 2015-June-11, 08:41, said:

Interesting case...

I have had the pleasure (:() of playing against opponents who routinely didn't fully disclose their ace asking method (in places where people also played 0/4-1/5-2-3 keycards). They would explain the 5 reply as "two keycards". They would simply wait for an opponent to ask the follow-up question "does it say something about the queen?" and then finesse trumps into that hand...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#13 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-11, 10:47

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-June-11, 10:38, said:

Interesting case...

I have had the pleasure (:() of playing against opponents who routinely didn't fully disclose their ace asking method (in places where people also played 0/4-1/5-2-3 keycards). They would explain the 5 reply as "two keycards". They would simply wait for an opponent to ask the follow-up question "does it say something about the queen?" and then finesse trumps into that hand...

Rik

Yes, interesting. I can't imagine ever asking about (specifically) the 5H response to 4NT. I can't ever need to know what I already know.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 11:45

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-June-11, 10:47, said:

Yes, interesting. I can't imagine ever asking about (specifically) the 5H response to 4NT. I can't ever need to know what I already know.

How is that?

The auction is over. You ask for an explanation of the entire auction. When you get to 5, they reply "2".

You play in an environment where 1/3 of the field plays 5 as 2 aces, 1/3 as 2 keycards (no info about the queen) and 1/3 as RKCB (2 keys, no queen). In addition, you know that cc's are sloppy because those players that play 5 as showing 2 keys, without info about the queen, will have written "keycard Blackwood" or "RKCB" on their cards, because they don't know any better. The same holds for many who play good old fashioned standard Blackwood: they have "RKCB" on their card, because they don't know any better.

So, after the reply "2", you need to ask a follow up question.

I think it is relevant to know whether partner has the queen, or merely could have the queen. Similarly, partner would like to know if I (could) have the queen.

I have run into some card sharks there who play RKCB and only reply "2", just to figure out how to play the hand. So, my partner and I have the agreement that whoever asks about a keycard auction will ask the follow-up question(s), whether s/he does or doesn't hold the king and/or queen.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-11, 12:19

As far as I'm concerned, if I didn't get an answer - especially to ace-asking auctions - I ask until I get it.

"2" -> "two what?"
"two keycards" -> "does that say anything about the queen?"
depending on the auction, "for what suit?"

I'm amazed how indignant the opponents get to these questions, but I ask them all the same. "isn't it obvious that everyone plays 1430 RKC for the last bid suit if there are zero or two agreed?" is the unspoken comment. Well, no. I've run into straight Blackwood, I *play* 0314, I've seen Roman Gerber, and Roman Keycard Gerber (with the response explained as "Gerber" in both cases - 2NT-4; 4 shows 1 or 4, obviously, right?), I've seen 2-2; 4NT be *1430 for diamonds* (it's the last bid suit, right?), I've seen the response to Kickback explained as "1430" (what, you expect *me* do work out the steps for a convention I refuse to play?)...

I don't see why it's my responsibility to work all that out; and I'm quite happy to be passive-aggressive about it. Next time they won't try this "minimal crap" - whether it's because they don't understand there isn't One True Bidding Style, or whether they're trying to shark me, or whatever.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#16 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-11, 12:57

Trinidad, I've also seen a fourth "1/3": "two aces and the trump queen" and a confused look when I ask why the trump Q is more important than the K :P Sorry for the threadjack.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#17 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-11, 15:18

"Why is the trump queen more important than the king?" Confused look, followed by "that's the way we play it". IOW, "we have no clue; we read this method in a book somewhere, or overheard a discussion, and it sounded cool, so..."

When you ask about the opponents' bidding, ask "please explain your auction". After they give you a review of the bidding, say thank you and ask "please explain your auction". If after they eventually explain their auction you think they might have left something out, ask "is there anything else we need to know?" If, after you have done that, you don't get full disclosure, the director should protect you. If he doesn't, fire him. From a cannon. ;)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#18 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-June-12, 01:08

What Ed said.

Back to OP: that kind of nonsense questioning can be a bit annoying and as a td I might have a word with North about wasting time and leaking (mis) info but I would not adjust. The question sounds unlikely to be aimed at bidding decisions. Don't read anything into it other than general curiosity or smartassness. The finesse has 50% chance.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#19 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-12, 01:25

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-June-11, 10:38, said:

Interesting case...

Rik

That's the reason why it's legitimate to ask further when given an incomplete answer, whether or not you have the queen, and we have case law to that effect.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#20 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-12, 08:49

It's legitimate to ask about the queen even if you're looking at it. You don't just need to know what each player has, you also need to know what each opponent knows about their partner's hand. If someone bids slam even though they know that neither of them has the trump queen, that's informative about the rest of their hand (e.g. maybe they have a 10-card fit, or that's the only missing key card).

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users