Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Responder spills the beans ACBL

#1 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-09, 21:52

The Double by South is out of the box and halfway to the table -- on this planet it sure looks like a call was made. However, South stops in mid action, continuing to hold the red card in her hand, and calls the TD.

She then explains to the table and to the TD that she did not see partner's 1 opening bid. Let's assume Opener is smart enough to know South has a takeout Double of 1S, rather than a negative double of a 1S overcall.

What should the TD do, and under what law?

The TD actually proceeded under laws pertaining to change of call; however, only one call was made by Responder followed by a lot of UI to opener.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#2 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-09, 22:43

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-June-09, 21:52, said:

The Double by South is out of the box and halfway to the table -- on this planet it sure looks like a call was made. However, South stops in mid action, continuing to hold the red card in her hand, and calls the TD.She then explains to the table and to the TD that she did not see partner's 1 opening bid. Let's assume Opener is smart enough to know South has a takeout Double of 1S, rather than a negative double of a 1S overcall.What should the TD do, and under what law?The TD actually proceeded under laws pertaining to change of call; however, only one call was made by Responder followed by a lot of UI to opener.
South's double is a slip of the mind not of the hand so she shouldn't be allowed to change it. Her partner should avoid logical alternatives suggested by the UI from her attempt to change it.

#3 User is online   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 22:53

"A call is considered made when a bidding card is removed from the bidding box and held touching or nearly touching the table or maintained in such a position to indicate that the call has been made."

From your description, it doesn't sound to me like this call was made before responder called the director, so it seems to me a "change of call" ruling is director error. It would also be an error if the call had been made, and the responder decided to let it stand.

I think what the director should have done is to rule that no call has been made (the quoted regulation), instruct responder to put her bidding cards back in the box, start over, and make whatever call she likes. Then tell opener that he has UI from responder's comments (Law 16), and that he must carefully avoid taking advantage of any inferences therefrom (Law 73C). And then the auction and play proceeds. Opponents should be told to call the director at the end of play (Law 16). If it then appears that UI was used, and gave the offending side an advantage, the TD should adjust the score (Law 16, Law 12).
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-09, 23:24

The Double by South is out of the box and halfway to the table -- on this planet it sure looks like a call was made. However, South stops in mid action, continuing to hold the red card in her hand, and calls the TD.

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-09, 22:53, said:

"A call is considered made when a bidding card is removed from the bidding box and held touching or nearly touching the table or maintained in such a position to indicate that the call has been made."

From your description, it doesn't sound to me like this call was made before responder called the director

That is very interesting. I would have thought that a bid card with a distinctive color and shape being held halfway between the box (which is on the table) and the place where calls are supposed to be put would be near enough to constitute a call made.

So, allow me to make a Lamford change to the actual facts. Responder places the red card on the table in the proper place and says, "oh-*****", covers up the red card with her hand and calls the TD --- the rest of what is said when the TD arrives will be the same.

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 23:45

Regardless of whether the double card was above or on the table: It is clear that South intended to call double at the point where he pulled the card. So double is the call that is made and it cannot be changed. In addition, of course, South's remark is UI to North and AI to EW.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 00:25

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-June-09, 23:45, said:

Regardless of whether the double card was above or on the table: It is clear that South intended to call double at the point where he pulled the card. So double is the call that is made and it cannot be changed. In addition, of course, South's remark is UI to North and AI to EW.

Rik

Most jurisdictions have regulations on the use of bid boxes and such regulations define the precise moment when a call is made.

Provided the regulation quoted by blackshoe applies in the region where this incident took place his comment is very accurate and to the point.

(As far as I know there are regions where a call is considered made already at the moment the bid card has been removed from the box. In such a region this double would have been considered made.)

#7 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 02:12

View Postpran, on 2015-June-10, 00:25, said:

Most jurisdictions have regulations on the use of bid boxes and such regulations define the precise moment when a call is made.

Provided the regulation quoted by blackshoe applies in the region where this incident took place his comment is very accurate and to the point.

(As far as I know there are regions where a call is considered made already at the moment the bid card has been removed from the box. In such a region this double would have been considered made.)

Yes, Blackshoe's quote is from the ACBL bidding box regulations, so his ruling is correct. In the EBU the equivalent regulation reads "A call is considered to have been made when the call is removed from the bidding box with apparent intent", so the ruling would be different.

#8 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 03:46

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-June-09, 23:24, said:

That is very interesting. I would have thought that a bid card with a distinctive color and shape being held halfway between the box (which is on the table) and the place where calls are supposed to be put would be near enough to constitute a call made.

So, allow me to make a Lamford change to the actual facts. Responder places the red card on the table in the proper place and says, "oh-*****", covers up the red card with her hand and calls the TD --- the rest of what is said when the TD arrives will be the same.

The difference you have made to the facts is the difference between the call having been made or not having been made (according to ACBL regulations, which are different from many other places).

[edit] So to spell it out further, in your scenario the call would have been made and would not be unintended within the meaning of the law, so the player would be stuck with it and their partner would have UI to avoid taking advantage of.

This post has been edited by gordontd: 2015-June-10, 03:52

Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-June-10, 03:57

View Postpran, on 2015-June-10, 00:25, said:

Yes that is the case in the Netherlands.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-10, 03:58

As a result the EBU sees a lot more law 25a changes than the abcl, albeit most of them without a director call. I've often thought that if 25a were removed as has been suggested on this forum before, the EBU regulations would have to change to be more similiar to the ABCL (not that I'd support removing 25s).

On the amended scenario, this doesn't fall under 25a as the intended bid was 1h. I wouldn't even call it a slip of the mind, as it seems to be just not paying enough attention (I won't give a PP for that :) ). The call stands and all the intention behind it is UI to their partner. If they attempted to change the call before calling the director then this would be covered under 25b, whereby LHO can accept the attempted change, otherwise the original call stands with the attempted change (and reasoning behind it) being unauthorised to partner and authorised to NOS.

#11 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-10, 04:14

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-June-09, 23:45, said:

I do not think this ruling is consistent with ACBL regulations. It may be consistent with Dutch regulations, or English regulations, or any other jurisdiction's regulations, but that is irrelevant. In particular, south's intent is not relevant, nor is whether any other player saw which bid card it was.

View PostLanor Fow, on 2015-June-10, 03:58, said:

On the amended scenario, this doesn't fall under 25a as the intended bid was 1h.

It was? How do you know that?

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-June-09, 23:24, said:

The only difference here is that the call has been made and was not unintended, so cannot be changed (Law 25).
--------------------
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-June-10, 04:51

The Double by South is out of the box and halfway to the table -- on this planet it sure looks like a call was made.

We assume that the TD ruled that it was "maintained in such a position to indicate a call was made" and the TD is responsible for deciding on the facts. I have seen lazy people raising 1NT to 3NT with the responder's bid barely out of the box. It does seem, from the OP, that the call was made and it is a simple UI case. It would be nice to see the whole hand, and if the TD allowed a change of call that would seem to be an error.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#13 User is offline   gordontd 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 05:31

View Postlamford, on 2015-June-10, 04:51, said:

We assume that the TD ruled that it was "maintained in such a position to indicate a call was made" and the TD is responsible for deciding on the facts. I have seen lazy people raising 1NT to 3NT with the responder's bid barely out of the box. It does seem, from the OP, that the call was made and it is a simple UI case. It would be nice to see the whole hand, and if the TD allowed a change of call that would seem to be an error.

It doesn't seem to me from the description and the regulations in force that the call was made.
Gordon Rainsford
London UK

#14 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-10, 06:08

With the actual South hand:

The final contract would likely have been the same. North would not get a chance to use UI.

Holding a takeout double, but only an invitational raise of hearts, and knowing that North has UI, South would just blast to 4H (immediately if the change of call were allowed, or on the next round if the Double were allowed).

4 is unmakeable, but made.

After a negative double, Responder's 3H bid at her next turn DNE for that pair, so there would be nothing but UI for North.

#15 User is offline   Lanor Fow 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-10, 06:17

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-10, 04:14, said:

It was? How do you know that?

Apologies Blackshoe, when I said 1H I meant double. Can i get a law25a correction for the mistake in the post? :)

#16 User is online   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-June-10, 06:53

View PostLanor Fow, on 2015-June-10, 06:17, said:

Apologies Blackshoe, when I said 1H I meant double. Can i get a law25a correction for the mistake in the post? :)

Okay, but your partner has UI. B-)
--------------------

#17 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-June-10, 08:52

View Postgordontd, on 2015-June-10, 05:31, said:

It doesn't seem to me from the description and the regulations in force that the call was made.

Quite. The OP properly noted the jurisdiction, but any number of people have ignored it.

It is interesting, though, that the ACBL's regulation in this scenario seems to be unique.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-10, 09:39

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-10, 08:52, said:

It is interesting, though, that the ACBL's regulation in this scenario seems to be unique.

Interesting? Perhaps. Surprising? Less so.

#19 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-June-10, 11:09

View PostVampyr, on 2015-June-10, 08:52, said:

Quite. The OP properly noted the jurisdiction, but any number of people have ignored it.

Yes, in self contradiction (I might add) with the attitude some people take when ACBL members have the temerity to interject their views on EBU regulations.

However, as the OP here, I find the differences expressed by posters from other jurisdictions interesting and enlightening.

#20 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-June-10, 12:25

Just a small nit - which I'm sure everyone is assuming already.

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-June-09, 22:53, said:

I think what the director should have done...instruct responder...make whatever call she likes. Then tell opener that he has UI from responder's comments (Law 16)...
and actions.

The fact that it is reasonably obvious that partner was planning on doubling the auction she thought she was in is UI, as is any added context this gives the comments.

The ACBL wanted to make the transition to bidding boxes easy, comfortable, and generous to mistakes, to decrease the chance of "they changed it, now it sucks". My personal belief is that the time for coddling "people unfamiliar with bidding boxes" is long gone and this regulation should be looked at for potential adjustment (perhaps to the way the ROW does it?).

My personal fear is the same one I have with overhauling the GCC; that once people go there, many things will change, including some I consider highly retrograde.

[disclaimer]I may occasionally work for the ACBL. I never speak for it.[/disclaimer]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users