• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Small slam or grand slam?

#1 User is offline   cyrenman 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-08, 10:57

Playing in a Gold Rush pairs event, I picked up the following hand:

How would you bid this? (Spoiler below for how I proceeded.)

Spoiler

#2 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-08, 12:42

This is easy for me, partner doesn't preempt 2nd R/W with 2 aces or an empty suit so 6 at teams, 6 at pairs. AJxxxxx and an ace is an easy 1 opener for us.

#3 User is offline   sprayguy 

• Pip

Posted 2015-June-08, 13:05

If you play new suit forcing over a preempt just bid 3 spades and wait for partner's response. Then you can key-card (or other Blackwood form). I wouldn't have been worried about missing 7 because my partner(s) won't preempt with a side ace.

#4 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 13:38

In my book 2nd in unfavourable preempts need to be pure - ie good ODR. If I found P with with any side suit aces here I'd get a new partner. I might as well go via 4N, in case he's opened on an 8 card diamond suit to the jack and out (though that sounds more like a 4 bid to me), then (assuming he shows the AD) place the final contract as Cyberyeti.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#5 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 13:42

Welcome to our game. Please stay a while and enjoy yourself Posted Image

View Postcyrenman, on 2015-June-08, 10:57, said:

The opening lead was the A, so I made 13 tricks cold. I was very frustrated at the time, assuming that many of the stronger partnerships would find the grand slam, but this was actually a rather good board for us: only one partnership bid the grand slam, while a few partnerships were in diamonds, a few were only in 4, one pair was in notrump and the opponents took 5 club tricks off the top, and one partnership had a miscommunication and ended up in 5 down 7.

In time, I think you will find that not many grands get bid in events at this level. Especially ones with missing aces. And as you see, a sampling of subpar contracts will often come in as well. 6 of major making will almost always be a good score.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-08, 14:48

I can't imagine that partner could open 3 vul in second seat without the A, K or Q of diamonds. Still, it doesn't hurt to ask. So 4NT is not unreasonable. If partner shows one key card, I will assume it is the A and bid 6. 6 is only in jeopardy on a diamond ruff. Hopefully the opps won't find it. 6 might be in jeopardy on a spade ruff, but I would expect 6 to be safer than 6, so it is the right spot at IMPs.

Even if I were playing in a major North American pairs event, I would expect 6 making 7 to be a reasonable score if partner has both pointed suit aces. It is difficult to sort out these situations. Playing in a gold rush pairs, 6 making 7 should be a fine score.

#7 User is offline   karlson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-09, 01:50

This hand is not a perfect example, but I'll make the point nonetheless: if (between the two hands) you have two semi-solid suits that could be trump and you're missing the ace in one of them, you should prefer the one where you're missing the ace to be trump. So if you found out that partner had xx AJT9xx, 6 is the safer contract. But of course the matchpoint considerations make 6 clear anyway.

I don't see how you can reasonably bid grand after this start.

#8 User is offline   ycos 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 04:04

1) How to open 3d with 2 Aces?
2) Exclusion blackwood must be standard. :)

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-09, 04:22

View Postycos, on 2015-June-09, 04:04, said:

1) How to open 3d with 2 Aces?
2) Exclusion blackwood must be standard. :)

I play with some very good albeit old style partners who would preempt with a side ace or other goodies vul in 2nd. In fact if I were playing with one such partner and looking at KQx of diams in my own hand I'd bet my right hand he has a side ace too else he wouldn't have opened at all.

That's of course not standard, and a matter of style or partnership agreements, but I wouldn't go as far as dismissing the whole idea as unheard of.

#10 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-09, 07:34

View Postcyrenman, on 2015-June-08, 10:57, said:

Playing in a Gold Rush pairs event, I picked up the following hand:
How would you bid this?
We play 2/1 with bells and whistles, and unfortunately I had no access to Exclusion Blackwood or a similar gadget. I was 99.9% certain that partner had the A, especially at unfavorable vulnerability, so I decided to ace-ask (we play RKC) and hope that he had neither the A or the A or both of them.
IMO 3 = 10. 6 = 9. 6 = 8. 4 (asking for key-cards) = 7. There's a strong case for a direct 6 or 6, especially if there's an appreciable risk of losing a wheel, in the course of a slower more scientific approach.

#11 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 09:10

Assuming teams scoring, I'd bid 6D.

I'm not going to investigate grand-slam missing 2 aces when partner has preempted.

#12 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 09:17

I think your auction is fine. I don't think many pairs have methods to ask for specific aces after partner's preempt. Even if 4 sets diamonds as trumps and asks for specific controls, it is stille the question if a 4 bid by opener might be a singleton or void.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#13 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 10:15

jump to slam in spades and partner can raise to 7. you know partner's got the ace of diamonds. no need to ask for it.

#14 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 10:20

View Postwank, on 2015-June-09, 10:15, said:

jump to slam in spades and partner can raise to 7. you know partner's got the ace of diamonds. no need to ask for it.

My answer was just to bid 6 since I "knew" partner wouldn't have A as well as A, but it is rather a good point that if he is looking at A he will know when you bid 6 that he should raise to 7! He won't do this with A and A, of course, since he won't know A is useful or that A is a surprise.

#15 User is offline   ArtK78 

• Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-09, 12:57

View PostWellSpyder, on 2015-June-09, 10:20, said:

My answer was just to bid 6 since I "knew" partner wouldn't have A as well as A, but it is rather a good point that if he is looking at A he will know when you bid 6 that he should raise to 7! He won't do this with A and A, of course, since he won't know A is useful or that A is a surprise.

Generally speaking, I would say that one should never raise a jump to 6 under any circumstances. However, if opener had both the A and the A, it is hard to construct a hand that is a legitimate 6 call that will not make 13 tricks.

#16 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 14:23

Lacking tools like Exclusion, I like direct 6 best. I can't imagine partner going to seven without both A and A, and it is hard to imagine him not bidding it if he does have them. In any case, your actual result was fine: 6 making seven always outscores 7 making six (=down 1)!

#17 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 18:09

I think I would just bid 6. Whilst I'm sure partner would raise with their actual hand, some times you just have to be practical. I'm guessing that 6+1 would be scoring the lion's share of the matchpoints. Bidding grands can often be tough, sometimes you have to settle for the best result possible rather than the best possible result.

It also did not occur to me that partner could have two aces.

#18 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 23:44

How about a 5C splinter? Without a rock solid agreement, partner will not know if the splinter was a stiff or void, but it is clear that it is a splinter. My KISS rule is that when a suit bid is forcing (like 4C would be here), then a jump in that suit is a splinter. Opener will almost certainly bid 5D. Then a que of 6C will make it clear that you have first round control of Cs. Correcting 6D to 6S should complete the picture of your hand for partner, and he will have an easy raise to 7 holding the SA. On the remote chance that opener has the CA and decides to que it with 6C after the splinter, then you can be sure that he does not also have the SA, so you can stop in 6S with no worries.

#19 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 02:52

View PostArtK78, on 2015-June-09, 12:57, said:

Generally speaking, I would say that one should never raise a jump to 6 under any circumstances. However, if opener had both the A and the A, it is hard to construct a hand that is a legitimate 6 call that will not make 13 tricks.

Generally, I would also be reluctant to raise a jump to 6, since partner has implied that he thinks he knows what the contract should be. But if I am looking at the ace of trumps which partner cannot possibly know that I have, then I am inclined to think that when partner knows he can make 12 tricks without the ace then he must be able to make 13 with it.

#20 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-10, 06:13

Without some very fancy bidding tools I will make a direct bid of 4n and settle for 5d or 6d (a strong case can be made for 6s at MP) depending on partners reply. Now if my spades had been AQJTxxx I would begin with 3s since then the spade K would count as an ace w/o guesswork and if p showed 2 key cards I would "gamble" on 7.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users