BBO Discussion Forums: New technology changes 'etiquette' - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New technology changes 'etiquette'

#1 User is offline   qwyz 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-07, 12:17

I just wanted to share my experience with others...just so that they do not make the same erroneous conclusion that I did.
I have been noticing for some time now that in general there is less and less common courtesy being exhibited on BBO. For instance it is very rare to even get a 'hi' from the others at a table; people come and go with no explanation, etc.
Today I logged onto BBO using a newly purchased tablet. That was an experience! I had trouble logging on because I use 'symbols' in my password and I had difficulty in locating these symbols on the pop up keybrd.
To shortened this down considerably...I now understand that using a tablet or phone does not permit one to readily bring up the keyboard and if u do bring it up it is not so easy to type out on it.
And...when it is not so easy to type out words...then it is difficult to be courteous. After today I shall be more tolerant :)

#2 User is offline   ggwhiz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-07, 13:03

I have the diet coke on the laptop keyboard scenario along with the occasional dead mouse with no AA batteries in sight.
When a deaf person goes to court is it still called a hearing?
What is baby oil made of?

#3 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-07, 18:52

Isn't the on-screen keyboard used by the BBO app the same as is used for all other apps? Why would you have more trouble typing your BBO password than other passwords?

The keyboard should come up whenever you need to type something: when you're entering your username/password, when you tap in a search field, or when you bring up a chat window.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 00:44

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-07, 18:52, said:

Isn't the on-screen keyboard used by the BBO app the same as is used for all other apps? Why would you have more trouble typing your BBO password than other passwords?

The keyboard should come up whenever you need to type something: when you're entering your username/password, when you tap in a search field, or when you bring up a chat window.

It's not the same keyboard as a computer has. If you use characters like _ or $&*^ in your password, some of them are hidden two levels further on the virtual keyboard. I have the same problem with logging on tablets, because I use a lot of SHIFT+blah combinations in my passwords and then I don't know how to make those appear on the tablet unless I go back to a computer and check what exactly is the sign that shows up when I press for instance shift+6

#5 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-08, 09:12

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-08, 00:44, said:

It's not the same keyboard as a computer has.

I know it's not the same as a real computer keyboard. I'm just wondering why he's having more trouble entering his password in the BBO app than other mobile apps. Is BBO the only app where he uses special characters in his password?

And this only has to be done the first time. From then on it remembers your password automatically.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 10:57

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-08, 09:12, said:

I know it's not the same as a real computer keyboard. I'm just wondering why he's having more trouble entering his password in the BBO app than other mobile apps. Is BBO the only app where he uses special characters in his password?

And this only has to be done the first time. From then on it remembers your password automatically.

I think he's just saying it's tough to enter password, not on BBO as opposed to other apps - but on tablet as opposed to desktop.

#7 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-08, 13:08

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-June-08, 10:57, said:

I think he's just saying it's tough to enter password, not on BBO as opposed to other apps - but on tablet as opposed to desktop.

There's not much we can do about that.

My Samsung "smart" TV forgets my Netflix login information every few months for some reason (maybe every time the firmware is upgraded). Using its on-screen keyboard is even more of a PITA than a tablet.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users