• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

raise spades?

#1 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-06, 17:02

my partner opens 1spade, RHO doubles (I presume for take out) and I hold

I kind of want to splinter in spades but I think my hand might be too weak for such aggressive action? I bid 4 spades right away but what would you have bid with this hand?

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-06, 17:24

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-06, 17:02, said:

I kind of want to splinter in spades but I think my hand might be too weak for such aggressive action? I bid 4 spades right away but what would you have bid with this hand?

This is a kind of hand too strong for 4 and a bit light for splinter for many people. Most have tools for this type of hand. Under the circumstances and options available for you, I think your choice is very reasonable. I would be fine with either splinter or 4 in your shoes. I personally would go with splinter. Aces are good cards, 5th spade is awesome.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-June-06, 18:14

I kind of want to splinter in spades but I think my hand might be too weak for such aggressive action?
I bid 4 spades right away but what would you have bid with this hand?
Agree with Mr Ace: 4 = 10. 4 = 9.

#4 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 18:33

btw sidenote.

Playing full Bergen raises...this is a 4d(art) raise to show this hand type.

#5 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 18:51

i meant splinter in clubs obviously

#6 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-June-07, 00:55

You didn't say what the vulnerability was on the deal. If non vul then definitely 4 If,however you are vul,
then 3is quite sufficent on this hand. Either way,the intention is to make life as difficult as possible for the doubler's partner.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#7 User is offline   toucanish 

• Pip

Posted 2015-June-07, 07:16

...what would you have bid with this hand?
redouble

#8 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 07:57

what are the advantages to redoubling? I guess we save a lot of space if partner wants to try to cuebid his way to slam and we hold the master suit so it's not really the end of the world if our opponents find out about their fit.

#9 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-07, 09:27

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-07, 07:57, said:

what are the advantages to redoubling? I guess we save a lot of space if partner wants to try to cuebid his way to slam and we hold the master suit so it's not really the end of the world if our opponents find out about their fit.

No advantage at all.

Redoubling tells partner that we own the hand, usually with hcp and it suggests defence. Most would play that redoubling then supporting spades shows opening values. IOW, redouble distorts the hand, and misinforms partner. Bridge is a partnership game and all actions have meanings, with partner entitled to rely on that information. Don't lie to partner in these situations.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2015-June-07, 10:49

I'd happily bid 4, and I wouldn't want any other way to show this hand. You know that the opponents have a fit somewhere; don't make it easy for them to find out how good it is.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#11 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:04

I think it depends on methods and agreements. Absent any, then I think 4 is much better than 4 (which is better than other simple bids), because not only does it tell where you want to play, it makes it easier for partner if oppos bid further. If they bid 4 or 5 then he is quite possibly with a singleton/void heart, and now he can use that knowledge to judge cross-ruffing potential for 5.

If I had a mini-splinter available, then that would be my bid.

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 13:07

seems like an obvious 4 bid. 2 aces ffs.

#13 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 14:51

A few people seem to be treating this problem as if there were no double by RHO. Put me down for 4S - I agree with Gnasher. Without the double this would of course be a wtp 4C bid. It's closer if we are w/r when the opps will never be saving. There I might try 4C.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#14 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-June-07, 17:41

I think it is a great question. I believe it is also right to want to splinter but equally wrong to do so unless it is part of a close system of understanding. IMO, this is the type of discipline (the self-denial of the superman bid) that allowed the old Blue Team to dominate World Championship bridge for so many years.

Depending on agreement, I believe this hand to be at minimum a queen of diamonds short of a splinter, perhaps a bit more even. But then I learned that splinters were mild (or quite strong) slam tries, not an expression of exuberance about bidding game.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#15 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 18:00

yes 4s would make it harder for the opps if they have the hands to act, but by failing to describe your hand you also make it more difficult to judge whether to bid on if they do act. for example, if it goes 5c pass pass to us, we're bound to double to show it's our hand, despite our shape unsuitability.

but i think the chances of their acting are being overplayed. the opps can easily have a good save, but both be unable to act (lho too little strength to bid, rho too little to act again).

#16 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 18:00

I'd happily splinter 4C, even if that usually shows a slightly stronger hand. In a high level competitive situations, the side with more Aces usually owns the hand and by splintering we get to involve partner in the choice of whether to play or defend.

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-June-07, 18:54

Your initial choice of 4 is fine but redoubling the next time round when RHO re-opens with a double would probably not have been the majority choice. Notice that 4XX would have gone down on decent defence. East might have done better beginning with a 2 overcall, particularly in a pick-up partnership.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#18 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 23:53

4S is O.K.

#19 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-June-08, 04:08

4 and I can't find a lot of good in 4.

It seems unlikely we are stopping our opponents from bidding by giving them double, 4 or 4 and this seems like a reasonable trade-off to allow partner to make the right 5 level decision.

There's really nothing else on the radar to consider.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#20 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 04:19

Agree with Andy here. Bidding 5/5 is rarely right, and especially so with two aces and empty suits - so "helping partner make the right 5-level decision" is not a frequent concern. Sometimes 4 will stop them from bidding. Other times it will push them to bidding 5 (when otherwise they could have bid X/4/4 and then be quiet), after which we often get a good result after I double. Partner still has a chance to get it right on the rare occasions where it's right to pull - our sequence shows a hand with lots of offense and some defense.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users