Hearts : K3
Clubs : AQT83

no diamonds

Goes pass, pass and I open 1 club.

#2 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-06, 05:55

i was thinking that if i open 1 spade my partner might respond 2 diamonds leaving me in a bit of a pickle. i guess i would be forced to rebid spades at that point.

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-06, 05:55

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-06, 05:43, said:

spades : KT7643

no diamonds

What is the question that you want to ask my friend?

If the question is whether your 1 was right or wrong, it is wrong. You have 6 spades and 5 clubs. Open 1. With 5-5 blacks there are people who prefer 1 but also a lot of others open 1.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-June-06, 06:01

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-06, 05:55, said:

i was thinking that if i open 1 spade my partner might respond 2 diamonds leaving me in a bit of a pickle. i guess i would be forced to rebid spades at that point.

Do not expect a free lance auction when you have such a shapely hand. Think about this. You opened 1 and they competed in one of the red suits. It is likely that the auction will be at 3 level at your next turn to bid. Even if it comes to you at 2 level you will have to bid spades at 2 level, showing only 4 of them when you have 6 and still making an uneconomical bid. This will make pd imagine pretty different hand than what you have. Posted Image

But in general, for your questions, we can provide you better answers if you tell us which system are you playing. If not decided yet, choose the system which is most popular in your country or region imho.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 06:05

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-06, 05:55, said:

Nah. A 6 card suit can always be rebid. And in this case it is spades i.e. you want to rebid it.

With 5-5 blacks a lot of people these days recommend opening 1 (unless maybe the spades are very weak), though there is a lot to be said for the more old fashioned recommendation of 1. However, that is 5-5 shape. This is 6-5.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

#6 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-June-06, 09:22

A common situation where u might distort your shape is with a weak hand and 5 6 in the majors

For example
Ajxxx
akxxxx
X
X
I'd open I spade and then bid hearts
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-June-07, 00:40

no diamonds

If you open 1and partner responds in a red suit(highly likely)what are you going to rebid?. You don't have enough points to rebid 3 1 is the correct choice as you can then bid
1 over any red suit reply. More importantly,by opening clubs first,you can show both your suits and ask partner
for preference while the bidding is kept at a low level.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-07, 02:01

View Posteagles123, on 2015-June-06, 09:22, said:

A common situation where u might distort your shape is with a weak hand and 5 6 in the majors

For example
Ajxxx
akxxxx
X
X
I'd open I spade and then bid hearts

This is a weak hand? If partner has the king of spades and a few hearts I want to be in 4M. I'd rather describe my hand properly as 5-6 by opening 1H and rebidding spades to find out which 4M we should be in than distort my lengths.

I mean sometimes it does make sense to open 1S on 5-6 but not with a hand this good. Say KJxxx Axxxxx Qx -. Now you need a lot more help than in your example.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-07, 05:17

no diamonds

Open the bidding in your longest suit, especially when that suit is a major.

If it is not convenient to bid clubs cheaply at your next opportunity, such as when partner responds 2 or if the opps get in the auction, you can rebid your spades.

Do not open a 5 card minor suit before a 6 card major suit. You will never be able to correct the message that you send by your choice of your opening bid. No matter how many times you bid spades later, partner will believe that you have at least as many, if not more, clubs than spades.

#10 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-07, 09:23

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-June-07, 00:40, said:

If you open 1and partner responds in a red suit(highly likely)what are you going to rebid?. You don't have enough points to rebid 3 1 is the correct choice as you can then bid
1 over any red suit reply. More importantly,by opening clubs first,you can show both your suits and ask partner

I suspect that this was an intentional effort to try to prevent the OP from learning how to play this game. This 'advice' is so clearly WRONG that nobody with an ounce of sense would make this statement with any innocent purpose. I mean, even given what we know of this guy's ignorance of bridge, this post cannot be genuine. He has no place in our community: he isn't just trying to irritate the better players...he is trying to harm the novices and beginners, who may have little conceptual framework in which to assess the quality of the advice.

The notion that he is a mentor online makes me shudder. Can you imagine what he is doing to his students?

To the OP: here is just some of why this 'advice' is malicious, ignorant, or (I suspect) both:

1. never ever assume that the auction will go in a certain way. Yes, partner may respond in diamonds, but remember that not only may he have a hand on which a diamond response would be wrong, but the opponents, and in particular the opp on your left, gets to bid before he does. That isn't to say that one shouldn't try to anticipate problems but it is to say that one shouldn't embark on major distortions out of such concern

2. Bidding shape correctly, that is bid longer suits before shorter suits, is a fundamental priority. Bridge is complicated, and the rules about bidding suits of equal length can be bewildering, but (apart from esoteric methods known as 'canape', which very few play) all systems have as a basic rule that one strains to bid a 6 card suit before a 5 card suit. There are other ideas or principles that can sometimes cause a departure from this: a weak opening bid with, say, 5=6 in touching suits, such as KQxxx AQxxxx xx void would often be opened 1 because it will often be difficult to show the spade suit (without suggesting a much stronger hand) if we open 1, and by opening 1 we hope to later show, if the auction permits, a minimum 5-5 major hand, which is a smaller distortion than the alternative of showing a strong 5=6 hand. A full understanding of this requires knowledge of the concept of the reverse.

3. there is nothing the least bit wrong with rebidding 2 on a 6 card suit. Indeed, many players, including me, would rebid 2 over a 2 response with say Kxxxx Axx void KQxxx. That is because for us a rebid of 3 promises more in terms of strength. Not all players agree with this, and those who disagree include some pretty good players.

4. Bidding unusual hands can be very challenging for players still fairly new to the game. Such players will make mistakes and get bad results. Often they will get bad advice that happens to 'work' on the particular layout of the hand on which they did badly, and they lack the knowledge to identify that advice as bad, and so become more and more confused and mistaken, stumbling from bad result to bad result. It is far better to try to use the correct principles, recognizing that such hands are difficult until one has expanded one's toolbox of bidding tools and technique. Telling a new player an idiotic idea in a seemingly authoritative tone will do harm that may take years to undo.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-June-07, 10:38

I agree with Mike.

Phil's reply is beyond the lines of stupidity. Phil's this type of replies are harmful and intended as to harm B/N players. I agree that he has no place in this community.

In another topic which was in EXPERT forums, one of the mods reminded PhilG that it is an expert forum and implied that his reply was not suitable for there. In return I replied to our mod something like "It's OK, let him post here, experts can handle this, just do not let him in B/N forums"

My intention was to prevent this type of replies by PhilG. Surprisingly my comment was deleted by mods. I am not gonna go head and question their judgement and distract the point I am trying to make, yet here we are again. We the members can protect the newcomers to game in forums up to a certain point. You mods need to step up and do something about this BS. Particularly when the BS has reached and crossed the limits of being BS and turned into an agenda and an intention to harm the newcomers.

Now I know there will be people who will come up with "Phil's freedom of speech" defense. As it was said before, "Freedom of Speech" protects him from being arrested by government for his ideas/opinions. It does not mean we the rest have to listen to his BS. And neither BBF nor any other place can be forced to host this BS , under the defense of "Freedom of Speech"

Please, just keep him out of N/B forums. Not only this but also mods and EVERY member of this community who loves this game, has a responsibility to report/complain about this guy to BIL. Those of us, who taught bridge professionally for decades, know from 1st hand that it is VERY difficult to recover players who have been filled with such BS. Just write them emails, and provide them the proof. This guy has to understand every single moronic thing he writes publicly can actually be used against him. Just do it for the sake of people, who came to BBO or BBF name/brand, and has no clue who is good and who is not, and again trusting the BBO or BBF and naively thinking that they are getting genuine help.

#12 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:41

Can it be made any more obvious that BBF would be a better place if PhilG007 was banned?
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#13 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 05:28

If you open 1and partner responds in a red suit(highly likely)what are you going to rebid?

2 obviously.
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users