BBO Discussion Forums: killer two suiter and surely a nice fit - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1

killer two suiter and surely a nice fit

#1 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-05, 08:15

S : J
H : AKQ98
C : void
D : QJT9652

obviously a pretty massive hand.

I open 1d, partner responds 1 heart, I jump to 3 hearts, partner bids 4 hearts. I guess I could continue to 6 hearts but I feel like partner could have 6 pts with perhaps wasted values in clubs for his response. I guess the inadequacy is in my 3 heart jump response? But what i want to establish trump before I start cue bidding for slam. Where did I go wrong?

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-05, 08:30

3H is not forcing so you have to bid 4H or splinter in one of the black suits.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 09:31

Yes, 3 is passable. You don't want that. You basically want to play 4 vs xxxx and nothing else.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-June-05, 09:35

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-05, 08:15, said:

S : J
H : AKQ98
C : void
D : QJT9652

obviously a pretty massive hand.

I open 1d, partner responds 1 heart, I jump to 3 hearts, partner bids 4 hearts. I guess I could continue to 6 hearts but I feel like partner could have 6 pts with perhaps wasted values in clubs for his response. I guess the inadequacy is in my 3 heart jump response? But what i want to establish trump before I start cue bidding for slam. Where did I go wrong?

Nice hand! I'd bid 4 the first time. Or, if they are on your card, I'd splinter in spades (which I like better than clubs since I'll pretend like I have the A instead of the void later).

pssssst: put the suits in S/H/D/C order or use the hand diagrams please. Thanks :)
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 13:03

4h is right the first time around not the non forcing 3h:) While your hand has a ton of offensive potential note that it takes a LOT of perfectly placed hcp in your partners hand (or a lucky lead) to allow you to make 6. It takes quite a bit of partnership discussion to accurately get to slam on these hands. 4H has another advantage it is preemtive. note that while you have a ton of offense your defensive potential (especially after p bids 1h) has dwindled to around 1 trick. That means your opps may have something they have not found yet and anything less than 4h only makes it easier for them to back in. Before looking for slam make sure it is worth the risk and it is decidedly not worth it this time.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-05, 13:27

It takes precisely 2 of the following three cards to make 6 a virtual claim:

A; A; K

I don't think it is out of the question that partner could have 2 of those 3 cards. How you should go about trying to find them is another problem.

I suppose the best possibility is if you splinter raise hearts by bidding 3. If partner cue bids 4, then you can cue bid 4 and see if partner can cue bid again in a black suit.

As the 1 response is unlimited, I do not dismiss the possibility that partner may have the right cards. But you have to be careful not to get too high if he doesn't have them.

Of course, if partner has the K without the A, there is a possibility of a club ruff by the opps.

#7 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-06, 05:29

my friend suggested 4c (splinter)

#8 User is offline   NickRW 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 06:13

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-06, 05:29, said:

my friend suggested 4c (splinter)

There is nothing wrong with your friend's suggestion. (Though, as pointed out above, it may be more artful to splinter in spades)
"Pass is your friend" - my brother in law - who likes to bid a lot.

Page 1 of 1

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users