• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

When not to use Jacoby?

#21 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:48

My general rule is 2/1 in preference to J2N, with some exceptions.

1) If 2 followed by a major support shows a hand that is not a true 2/1
2) 1 2 is problematic if partner supports hearts and 3 is non-serious in hearts and 4 is ace asking in hearts

#22 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-June-08, 18:27

View Postgszes, on 2015-June-05, 13:14, said:

I am curious, if you decide to limit your use of J2N to these limited "kudos" circumstances how do you go about getting to major suit games ?
Play Precision then you can go 1M-4M on a lot of hands. lol

but seriously you can change the responses, such that your only leaking if one of you has slam interest. but is work and non-standard.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#23 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2015-June-12, 10:24

My thinking on J2NT is that it should be used mainly on balanced and semi-balanced hands - IOW, on hands where shortness in partner's hand can become a monster. With a decent suit, I prefer to show the potential source of tricks with a 2/1.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#24 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-December-27, 03:05

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-June-05, 19:34, said:

We don't use J2N at all. Our focus is on Responder showing his/her size and shape. A direct 2NT response is old-fashioned presumed to be balanced and forcing with 2-card support for the major. Responder might have 3-card support and a quant bigger than shown, and thus show the major support next time.

The garden variety 13-16 balanced with 4 trumps bids an old-fashioned 3NT in response to 1M. Opener doesn't have to provide leakage, and is in charge.

The rare hand which wants to just set the major as trump and Wood, bids 3NT and then Woods; or he can splinter and then Wood for a space-saving exclusion (once every couple of years).

For me that play Stayman the 2NT bidding indicate a "complementary" hand of 13-15 points balanced, 16-17 for the 3NT bidding answering (nor less neither more points as in 1NT Stayman) : 1-p-2NT with KJ6 96 AJ103 KJ98 and 3NT with AJ5 K10 AJ75 A1098 (The opener will have an exact knowing about slam possibilty) (From The Complete Stayman systeme .. pagg. 52 and 53 The answering of 2NT and 3 NT). It using Jacoby seems incompatible with it or if not by difficult conventional apply or snaturing a good natural system.(Lovera)

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users