Posted 2015-June-04, 01:09

Match Points

#2 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-04, 01:30

I'd Pass.
Too bad for us on this board if pd had good 5 card clubs and could not DBL due to it being support dbl.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#3 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 01:43

Give p hx qxx qxx aqxxx and 5c is on a finesse while 4h makes most of the time. I bid 5c.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#4 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-04, 03:41

our void suggests partner might have some length in hearts and they are vulnerable. pass and set them.

#5 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 04:39

View PostMrAce, on 2015-June-04, 01:30, said:

I'd Pass.
Too bad for us on this board if pd had good 5 card clubs and could not DBL due to it being support dbl.

How many clubs do you think partner has?

He either has a 2=4=3=4 distribution, or he has at least 5 clubs. On the other hand, partner won't have 7 clubs or he would have rebid the clubs. So, I would play partner for a 2=3=3=5 distribution or that distribution with one card moved to another suit (not spades).

I would bid 5.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#6 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 04:52

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-June-04, 04:39, said:

How many clubs do you think partner has?

Don't know enough about the 1 opener to tell, what do they open with 1444/2443/2344 ? Not everybody opens 1 on these shapes.

But yes most of the time partner has 5 clubs and this could play for a lot of tricks. I would bid 5

#7 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 05:30

Do we have a 4NT bid available to show a good 5C bid? If so, put me down for 5C, otherwise pass.
Wayne Somerville

#8 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-June-04, 05:35

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-June-04, 05:30, said:

Do we have a 4NT bid available to show a good 5C bid? If so, put me down for 5C, otherwise pass.

I think partner is almost marked with a balanced 12-14 (maybe short in spades, but even then less than reverse strength) so is this really necesary? OK he could have A-xxxx-AQx-Axxxx I suppose but if he raised to 6 with that I am happy.

I think I would rather have 4NT to show diamonds with club tollerance, something like 4153.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#9 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 06:22

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-June-04, 05:35, said:

I think partner is almost marked with a balanced 12-14 (maybe short in spades, but even then less than reverse strength) so is this really necesary? OK he could have A-xxxx-AQx-Axxxx I suppose but if he raised to 6 with that I am happy.

I think I would rather have 4NT to show diamonds with club tollerance, something like 4153.

On this hand, I would never be looking for slam, but it would be nice to differentiate this hand and the same hand with the 2 black kings added. It would also help if the opponents were to bid to 5H.
Wayne Somerville

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 07:48

Deleted
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#11 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-June-04, 09:00

View Postmanudude03, on 2015-June-04, 06:22, said:

On this hand, I would never be looking for slam, but it would be nice to differentiate this hand and the same hand with the 2 black kings added. It would also help if the opponents were to bid to 5H.

Vulnerability protects you a bit from that in this case.

#12 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-04, 09:06

East jumped to game opposite what will often be a 3 card raise, with both opps bidding, so I would expect East to hold 6 hearts far more often than 5, so I certainly don't expect partner to have a good defensive trump holding. I think anything but 5 is just giving up. That doesn't mean I am certain that bidding 5 will work on all layouts consistent with the auction, but it does mean that I think the action is clear.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-June-04, 09:16

View Postmikeh, on 2015-June-04, 09:06, said:

East jumped to game opposite what will often be a 3 card raise, with both opps bidding, so I would expect East to hold 6 hearts far more often than 5, so I certainly don't expect partner to have a good defensive trump holding.

13-6-3=4.

#14 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-June-04, 09:44

I like 5 too, at least at MPs but maybe it's the right call at IMPS too since I think we are -300 vs -620 often enough to make up for the phantoms.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#15 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-04, 09:58

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-June-04, 09:16, said:

13-6-3=4.

arithmetic was never my strong point.

I remain of the view, somewhat chastened, that N won't likely have a good defensive holding, even if he has 4 of them....firstly, they likely won't be a strong internal holding, secondly declarer likely has long enough trump to withstand the tap, especially since there is no reason to place meaningful club length in dummy, and finally the opps may have 10 or more trump......but your main point is well-taken and I will practice addition and subtraction before making similar posts again :P
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#16 User is offline   Fluffy 

• World International Master without a clue

Posted 2015-June-06, 05:16

I bid 5 for a cold bottom, partner decided not to support double with a 3334 including KJx. A guess in hearts was required to avoid third down in 4 while 5 went 2 down quickly.

#17 User is offline   mikestar13 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-06, 15:39

A question: what would 1 instead of the negative double have shown? I have had partnerships where X=exactly 4 spades and 1=5+ spades--in this case, support doubles should be off, and partner's failure to double 2 should indeed tend to deny as much as five good clubs--making a better case for pass as the final call.

#18 User is offline   fromageGB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:11

I am absolutely amazed that so many seem to be wanting to bid 5. Seems a clear pass to me. My partner often openes 1 on two, and this bidding is certainly consistent with him having some hearts and 4 going off.

#19 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-June-07, 11:31

View PostfromageGB, on 2015-June-07, 11:11, said:

I am absolutely amazed that so many seem to be wanting to bid 5. Seems a clear pass to me. My partner often openes 1 on two, and this bidding is certainly consistent with him having some hearts and 4 going off.

Yes but if we open 1 on balanced hands with four diamonds then his failure to make a support double means that he is either 2434, 2425, 2335, 1435. Maybe 2245 or 1345 (if it is our style to open 1 wth those shapes), maybe six clubs (if 3 by him would have shown extras and g/b 2nt was not available). So he has five clubs most of the time and certainly not less than four.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users