BBO Discussion Forums: Advanced vs Intermediate Players - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Advanced vs Intermediate Players What is the difference between an advanced player and intermediate one

#1 User is offline   devedisi 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-03, 23:18

Hi,

What are the differences between an advanced player and an intermediate player? What separates them?

And what are the marks of an expert player compared to an advanced one?

#2 User is online   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-04, 02:20

The official bbo definition is that to be advanced you need to be successful at clubs and small real life tourneys while to be an expert you need to be successful at major events whatever that means. If you have won a couple of acbl regionals or play in the second german bundesliga maybe it is enough to call you an expert? Something like that.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   devedisi 

• Pip

Posted 2015-June-05, 01:02

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-June-04, 02:20, said:

The official bbo definition is that to be advanced you need to be successful at clubs and small real life tourneys while to be an expert you need to be successful at major events whatever that means. If you have won a couple of acbl regionals or play in the second german bundesliga maybe it is enough to call you an expert? Something like that.

Thank you for your answer.

I've searched the web and found a similar discussion in bridgewinners, link is here; http://bridgewinners...ing-your-level/

Originator has indicated his understanding/interpretation of the BBO definitions (Novice, Beginner, Intermediate, Advanced, Expert, World Class) and others (including Fred Gitelman "who is responsible for the existing “official” definitions on BBO and who is not claiming they are anywhere near perfect!") commented on that.

#4 User is offline   onxx 

• Pip

Posted 2017-March-27, 09:03

There could be other more fact-based indicators on players' level in addition to the self-assessment.
For example, the average % score obtained in the daily DAYLONG MP tournaments.

#5 User is offline   scarletv 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-March-27, 10:18

As long as you don't play the same boards in the daylong tournaments results are more or less a joke.

#6 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-28, 09:36

I think my favourite way of determining level is Allan Simon's "levels of hopelessness" - or as I phrase it, "can't play" levels.

My most reasonable way is "who would play with you" - if I'm being mean, "...again".

Eventually, all you have is results. (Blowing my own horn, I finally have my "real" open regional win (a small field, but there were some 'world-class -1' pros in the game!) to go along with the ones I'm proud of - 3 midnight KOs and a 3-table one-session Saturday Morning Swiss playing with a pair of true novices!)
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#7 User is offline   onxx 

• Pip

Posted 2017-March-29, 06:08

View Postscarletv, on 2017-March-27, 10:18, said:

As long as you don't play the same boards in the daylong tournaments results are more or less a joke.

I agree for an individual event but in the course of a year this is fact-based.

#8 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2017-March-29, 18:48

View Postdevedisi, on 2015-June-03, 23:18, said:

Hi,

What are the differences between an advanced player and an intermediate player? What separates them?

And what are the marks of an expert player compared to an advanced one?

If you point out a mistake to an intermediate player, they may or may not remember the hand, and may or may not immediately figure out why the bid/play was a mistake.

An advanced player usually knows there was a mistake sometimes right away, sometimes after the hand was over.

An expert sometimes knows a mistake is about to be made and avoids it, and usually knows within a trick that there was a mistake.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users