Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Splinter or Jump Shift?

#1 User is offline   baabaa 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-03, 02:49

I am wondering what is standard/considered to be best in modern bidding in the following sequences. Is openers second bid strong and natural, or is it splinter?

1. 1 – 1 – 3
2. 1 – 1 – 3
3. 1- 1 - 2

#2 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-03, 04:02

Assuming a standard-type system, all 3 ought to be played as natural and strong, since bidding that suit one level lower is not a reverse (so you have no way to differentiate between a minimum and a maximum opener).

ahydra

#3 User is offline   ezyang 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-03, 11:53

Jumpshift. As a general rule, a splinter is a double jump; so 4, 4 and 3 in your examples would be splinters. There are some cases where this is not the case, usually only when a jumpshift would be impossible. I don't know what people like to do when a reverse is available.

#4 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-03, 11:59

Hi,

the only seq., where it is a bit critical, is the 3rd.
Some play, I prefer, we dont do it anymore, to play 1S as forcing.
If 1S is forcing, 2S is a splinter.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#5 User is online   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-June-03, 18:05

The simple answer is that in most (all?) standard based methods, with wide range 1 level opening bids, the jumpshift by opener on the second round is played as natural, and forcing to game.

I see one poster made reference to reverses, and at a recent event I witnessed a (bad) player open 1 with a powerful 5-5 minor hand, and she then reversed into diamonds. This got what it deserved, when her partner understandingly played her for longer clubs than diamonds. Had she opened 1 and jumped to 3, she would have far more accurately described not only her shape but her strength, since most players will have a lower limit for a reverse than for a jumpshift.

I see another poster suggest that a jump to 2 as a rebid could be a splinter if one used a 1 rebid as forcing.

I am aware that a small minority of players, and posters here, do so, but it is really a bad idea. It offends one of the cardinal goals of system design: the need to refine the description not only of shape but also of strength as rapidly as possible.

Big club methods are popular amongst experts for a number of reasons, but a main one is that opening bids of 1// are narrowly defined immediately, and opener can further refine the description quite accurately in early rounds of the auction. By contrast, when playing a method in which a 1 bid could be a great 10 to a terrible 22, it is critical to start defining strength as soon as possible. Thus in standard methods, in which 1 rebid is non-forcing, by rebidding 1 opener is narrowing the strength range from 10-22 to a slightly more tolerable 10-bad 18. (A side note: if one routinely rebids 1N with all balanced hands, then the 1 rebid not only narrows strength slightly but significantly refines shape....a major reason why many good players bypass majors to rebid 1N).

When one rebids 1 on 10-22, one has conveyed very little useful information to partner, and made later refinements less precise....instead, for example, of dividing the 10-18 range into, say, 10-14 and 15-18, we are still trying to distinguish 10 from 22!.

Sorry for the rant :D

Btw, a more interesting topic is the use of jumps in auctions such as 1 2 3

If 2 promises a rebid over a 2 call by opener, then 2 is forcing, and do we need 3 to also be natural and forcing, or is it better to use 3 as a splinter, while staying below 3N lest responder's action include something like KQ10 in hearts?

This is even more an issue when playing 2/1 gf, where responder's 2 call made everything below game a forcing action.

FWIW, I invariably play 2/1, and use these jumps as splinters, but there are good arguments against that treatment, as well as for it.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#6 User is offline   TWO4BRIDGE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 16:54

The simple answers:
-- The single-jump-shift is natural and strong ...

-- A double-jump shift is a splinter for partner's last bid suit ...

1D - 1S
??
3C = strong, natural
4C = splinter
Don Stenmark
TWOferBRIDGE
"imo by far in bridge the least understood concept is how to bid over a jump-shift
( 1M-1NT!-3m-?? )." ....Justin Lall

" Did someone mention relays? " .... Zelandakh

K-Rex to Mikeh : " Sometimes you drive me nuts " .

#7 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-06, 11:57

As others have stated, all these bids are natural and game forcing. The way to answer this question for yourself is, had I bid the second suit without jumping, would it have been forcing? Clearly not in the first two, so the jump is needed to force. Some do play a 1-level suit rebid by opener as forcing, but that is not standard in SAYC or 2/1, so once again, it is necessary to jump to force a rebid from partner.

To PMarlowe's point, I don't play opener's 1 level suit rebid as forcing, but among those that do, many play that the jump shift shows 5 Spades and a longer minor.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users