A1062 74
KQ3 109
J106 A9752
A42 KJ98

Bidding

West 1(announced could be short)
North Pass
East 1 Alerted (not asked about)
South Double (not alerted as per Blue book as it shows that suit over a 'Conventional' bid)

West 1
North Pass
East 2
South Pass

West 3

All Pass

3 -2

Who summoned the Director and what was the alleged irregularity?

#3 User is offline   chrism 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-June-01, 13:58

What is the alleged irregularity? When was the director called?
(Edit: cross-posted with pran)

#4 User is offline   Oof Arted 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 04:13

View Postchrism, on 2015-June-01, 13:58, said:

What is the alleged irregularity? When was the director called?
(Edit: cross-posted with pran)

East called the Director as you guessed the 'Double' by South was Phsycic.

QJ93
J8762
K4
Q6

This was a Teams match and South decided that his 'Double' would cloud the Waters somewhat.

And it worked keeping the Opps out of NT which was bid and made at the other table.

But as a 'Phsyc' is a perfectly legitimate ploy why should the TD give a split ruling or even consider it.

#5 User is offline   campboy 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-June-02, 04:17

Did North lead a diamond?

#6 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 04:52

Why was 1 alerted?

#7 User is offline   pran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 04:57

View PostOof Arted, on 2015-June-02, 04:13, said:

East called the Director as you guessed the 'Double' by South was Phsycic.

QJ93
J8762
K4
Q6

This was a Teams match and South decided that his 'Double' would cloud the Waters somewhat.

And it worked keeping the Opps out of NT which was bid and made at the other table.

But as a 'Phsyc' is a perfectly legitimate ploy why should the TD give a split ruling or even consider it.

So far I see no irregularity and consequently no reason for any adjustment

View Postcampboy, on 2015-June-02, 04:17, said:

Did North lead a diamond?

How does that matter?

View PostAardv, on 2015-June-02, 04:52, said:

Why was 1 alerted?

How does that matter?

#8 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 05:39

View PostOof Arted, on 2015-June-02, 04:13, said:

the 'Double' by South was Phsycic.

QJ93
J8762
K4
Q6

Was it? The fact that south doesn't have what he apparently showed does not necessarily mean that it was a psychic bid. Did south actually intend to show diamonds, or the unbid suits (ie the majors)?

#9 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 05:39

View PostAardv, on 2015-June-02, 04:52, said:

Why was 1 alerted?

View Postpran, on 2015-June-02, 04:57, said:

How does that matter?

It matters because North is supposed to assume and West is entitled to assume that South knows the meaning of 1.

I'm sceptical that South was psyching; I suspect he doubled for take-out, and would have asked first if he wanted to double to show diamonds.

#10 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-June-02, 06:35

View PostAardv, on 2015-June-02, 05:39, said:

It matters because North is supposed to assume and West is entitled to assume that South knows the meaning of 1.

Under which Law? South has no obligation to ask before doubling. He is entitled to assume that the alert means that the call falls into an alertable category. He cannot "communicate" by sometimes asking and sometimes not, but asking and then passing can convey UI. If South asked and the answer was, surprisingly, "non-forcing" and South now passed, he might indicate that he would have doubled an artificial one diamond to show diamonds. Asking every time is the only way to avoid giving UI on occasion.

But I agree that South intended double as takeout.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#11 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-June-02, 06:37

Sorry?
What reason do you have for asserting this? Apparently South had sufficient information about the 1 bid in that it was alerted.

I'm sceptical that South was psyching; I suspect he doubled for take-out, and would have asked first if he wanted to double to show diamonds.

If South had asked about the alerted bid in order to make it clear that he showed Diamonds then that would have been a most questionable action (to say the least). He had sufficient information (the alert) to expect his double to be understood as showing Diamonds.

However, even if South had intended his double to be for majors he has in case just misbid and not acted improperly in any way. So what? A simple misbid is no irregularity and I see no other irregularity here?

#12 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 07:07

did you know the norwegian word for gullible has been taken out of the dictionary?

#13 User is offline   WellSpyder 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 07:43

View Postpran, on 2015-June-02, 06:37, said:

He had sufficient information (the alert) to expect his double to be understood as showing Diamonds.

Please tell me you are joking! Surely it isn't legal to take advantage of alerts in this way? Supposing oppo are playing Walsh, and alert in this position because this natural 1 bid denies a major (unless holding a stronger hand). Now I can show diamonds, too, provided I don't ask about the alerted 1 bid??

#14 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-June-02, 08:21

View Postwank, on 2015-June-02, 07:07, said:

did you know the Norwegian word for gullible has been taken out of the dictionary?

Which dictionary? We still have it in the Norwegian.

#15 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 08:36

View Postlamford, on 2015-June-02, 06:35, said:

He cannot "communicate" by sometimes asking and sometimes not, but asking and then passing can convey UI.

As can not asking and bidding... which is more relevant to this thread.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#16 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 08:37

View Postpran, on 2015-June-02, 06:37, said:

Sorry?
What reason do you have for asserting this? ...

View Postlamford, on 2015-June-02, 06:35, said:

Under which Law? ...

Under Law 16, the fact that South has or hasn't asked a question is UI to North. (But the answer to any question he asked is of course AI.)

Apparently the N-S agreement is that the meaning of South's double depends on whether 1 is natural or artificial. If South asks, then doubles, North knows what 1 means and knows that South knows, so he can and will interpret the double accordingly. That's the alerting and explanation system working as it should.

If South doesn't ask, then doubles, North is not allowed to use South's non-question to interpret the double. It follows that if he doesn't know the meaning of 1, he should find out and interpret the double accordingly.

#17 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-June-02, 08:42

View PostAardv, on 2015-June-02, 08:37, said:

If South doesn't ask, then doubles, North is not allowed to use South's non-question to interpret the double. It follows that if he doesn't know the meaning of 1, he should find out and interpret the double accordingly.

Who is "he" in that last question, South or North?

#18 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 08:49

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-02, 08:42, said:

Who is "he" in that last question, South or North?

Sorry, if North doesn't know the meaning of 1, he should find out and interpret South's double accordingly. (North needn't find out if North is going to make the same call either way.)

#19 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-June-02, 08:50

View PostWellSpyder, on 2015-June-02, 07:43, said:

Please tell me you are joking! Surely it isn't legal to take advantage of alerts in this way? Supposing oppo are playing Walsh, and alert in this position because this natural 1 bid denies a major (unless holding a stronger hand). Now I can show diamonds, too, provided I don't ask about the alerted 1 bid??

Taking advantage of alerts this way?

An alert is a warning to opponents that the alerted call has features which the opponents might want to investigate further with question(s). But there is no obligation for opponents to ask.

If South here had asked and then doubled he would most likely have found himself in severe trouble for calling his partner's explicit attention to the fact that his double was based on opponents' confirmation that the alert indicated an artificial call. (We no longer use the term "conventional" in the laws.)

As this case has been described (when at last we got a description) South was apparently satisfied (because of the alert) that the 1 call was artificial for the purpose of understanding his double (according to his partnership understandings). His actual hand corroborates a suspicion that he deliberately psyched but it is also possible that he just misbid, neither of which is illegal. However we have no indication that North in any way used unauthorized information in the auction or play.

So what was the alleged irregularity?

#20 User is offline   pran 

Posted 2015-June-02, 08:56

View PostAardv, on 2015-June-02, 08:37, said:

Under Law 16, the fact that South has or hasn't asked a question is UI to North. (But the answer to any question he asked is of course AI.)

Apparently the N-S agreement is that the meaning of South's double depends on whether 1 is natural or artificial. If South asks, then doubles, North knows what 1 means and knows that South knows, so he can and will interpret the double accordingly. That's the alerting and explanation system working as it should.

If South doesn't ask then North may (of course) ask why the 1 call was alerted, but he is also allowed (without asking any question at all) to base his explanation of the double on the sole fact that the 1 bid was alerted and therefore was artificial in some way!

• 5 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users