#1 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-June-01, 12:33

A64
AQJ
AQJ96
AK

They all pass to me (obviously, I got all the points), and the uncontested bidding goes
me 2c
partner 2d
me 3d
partner 3NT.

Should I have bid 2nt myself over 2d? or how else should I have bid this hand?

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2015-June-01, 13:14

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-01, 12:33, said:

A64
AQJ
AQJ96
AK

They all pass to me (obviously, I got all the points), and the uncontested bidding goes
me 2c
partner 2d
me 3d
partner 3NT.

This is clearly a 2 opener.

I prefer to treat this as a balanced hand and rebid NT rather than showing a single suited hand with Diamonds.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-01, 13:23

View Posthrothgar, on 2015-June-01, 13:14, said:

This is clearly a 2 opener.

I prefer to treat this as a balanced hand and rebid NT rather than showing a single suited hand with Diamonds.

I agree.

It becomes a question of how to show a balanced 25 count in your system.

A second question is whether this hand is worth more or less than 25 HCP, but we can ignore that question for present purposes.

Most people play that a 2NT opening bid shows a balanced hand with 20-21 HCP (or so). That means that if one opens 2 and rebids 2NT that one is showing a stronger balanced hand - about 22-24 HCP.

This hand is worth more than that. How players show a stronger balanced hand varies from partnership to partnership. Without any special conventions, a 2 opening followed by a jump to 3NT shows 25-27 HCP and a balanced hand. So, that would be the way to show this hand.

[I am assuming that a 3NT opening bid in your system is not a balanced strong hand. If it is, it may show this range of opening, so I would have to change my answer]

If I were to have the auction shown in your original post, I would bid 4NT over 3NT to show a stronger than minimum 2 opener. 4NT is not Blackwood. But I would only do this if it is possible that my partner could have an 8 count or better for his 2 response. You did not say what the meaning of 2 was. If it is negative, and that means that partner cannot have 8 or more HCP, then I pass 3NT.

#4 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 15:27

well done.

Your partner heard that you have a long dia suit and a game forcing hand yet they chose 3n. I would be shocked if p had as much as 2 kings (and dia support) where they should at least choose 4d). I like your approach to the bidding. Holding 3 cards in each major your sequence made it possible for partner to introduce either (5 card) major. If you had jumped to 3n that would likely make a major suit game/slam impossible. 3n might indeed be the limit of the hand but 4h/s rates to score as many if not more tricks than 3n.

Another factor is that you have no honor combinations that need protection from the opening lead. Your p might have the stray spade Q which might become invaluable in 3n played from their side of the table. In essence you might have rightsided 3n. Yes defense after trick 1 will be easier when the gorilla hits the table but if p is weak there will most likely be little to the play anyway. Oddly enough it could also turn out to be beneficial if p has some unexpected holding (like QJT of clubs) where they can might be able to drop the J and Q the first two rounds possibly encouraging a club continuation to an otherwise impossible to reach trick (or QJx dropping x then Q for the same result).

Bidding 2n undervalues this probable 9 trick hand. Do not concern yourself with always having the bid hand hidden. Try and see the big picture and go for the bidding plan that offers your side the best chance to reach a variety of contracts. I applaud your 3d bid keep up the good work.

#5 User is offline   goingoren 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 20:46

from what i recall partner had like 7 or 8 points and slam was a lay down. 3 over tricks, lot of guys made 4.

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-June-01, 21:42

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-01, 20:46, said:

from what i recall partner had like 7 or 8 points and slam was a lay down. 3 over tricks, lot of guys made 4.

It is normal for a 2 opening here in the US followed by a jump to 3NT to show 25-27. If you did this PD would at least make some sort of slam try or just bid 6 himself.

This is what I play with a few pards that want a 3NT opening to be natural (ie they don't play Gambling or something else for it). 3NT=25-26 HCP 2 followed by jumping to 3NT=27-28 HCP. Just like for 2NT openings, starting with 2C shows the stronger hand.

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-June-01, 23:51

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-01, 12:33, said:

A64
AQJ
AQJ96
AK

me 2c
partner 2d
me 3d
partner 3NT.

After the 2negative, a direct jump to 3NT shows a balanced 25-26 hcp Game has been reached,you've done your bit,now the rest is up to partner.It's best that you bid the game
and become declarer so the strong hand remains concealed and the opening lead comes up to it.
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#8 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 04:28

I would treat the hand as a balanced 26 and bid accordingly. The choice then depends on the system being used, whether that be a 3NT opening, 2 followed by 3NT, or something else.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#9 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 05:33

I agree with the other posters - ideally you would like to show this hand as balanced ~ 25+++ HCP.

However, given the way your auction started you might try 4NT over partner's 3NT. This should show a natural invite to slam.

#10 User is offline   MRTRUB44 

• PipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 07:04

View Postgoingoren, on 2015-June-01, 20:46, said:

I would not bid negative with 7 or 8 points, partner 2 Club open. Your partnership should agree on a negative reply to 2C at say no more than 3 points, otherwise show what you have. If P showed his suit or whatever strength he had, you would have bid more sensibly.

Say 2Clubs then 2Hearts (or whatever). You can then choose to show diamonds, support his suit, or try for slam.

#11 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 07:24

Disagree with the last post. To some extent whether to give a positive response or not depends on your main suit. You can respond 2H on a weaker hand than responding 3D. The modern trend is to treat 2D more as a relay than a negative, although I'm not convinced that is a great idea.

I prefer a 3NT rebid by opener, as it describes the hand accurately, although I don't object strongly to 3D. Whatever you rebid it sounds like partner should have gone beyond 3NT.

#12 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-June-02, 07:33

No one said that the 2 reply was negative. That is why I left open the possibility that partner could have 8 or more HCP for his 2 response in my previous post.

#13 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-June-02, 12:39

The easiest, least confusing way to completely describe your hand is an old school 3NT opening. 25+ and flat hand.

Hard to miss slam if your partner has anything at all.

#14 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 13:28

In basic acol in 1962 ben cohen and rhoda barrow siad a 3nt rebid after 2d response shows 25/26 ! Since the the one club systems have defined and refined, however if p has a bust It is style to underbid these hands aat pairs, (no entries) but go for game at teams especially vul, esp if losing.

#15 User is offline   zillahandp 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 13:31

Oh dear now read most of the other replies, no one apart from goren ever opened 3nt on 25/26

#16 User is offline   keithhus 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 15:48

I was told that 3NT opening was preemptive I.e. 7 of a minor with all 4 honours. Is that not valid? I play Acol. Thanks

#17 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 15:58

The standard meaning for a 3NT opening in Acol is a long, solid minor. Depending on the generation of Acol, there might be different requirements on the side - most these days would say no first round control and not too much strength. In other systems, 3NT might have a different meaning. There are a few BBF threads around on this subject.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#18 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 23:50

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-June-02, 05:33, said:

I agree with the other posters - ideally you would like to show this hand as balanced ~ 25+++ HCP.

However, given the way your auction started you might try 4NT over partner's 3NT. This should show a natural invite to slam.

After his negative 2response,I don't think partner will be even remotely interested in a slam(if he was,he would
have made a positive response on the previous round ) so bidding 4NT will achieve nothing except to make an already
potentially difficult contract even more challenging to fulfil. :(

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#19 User is offline   lucky555 

• Pip

Posted 2015-June-03, 00:18

Hi
If you want to play a fancy convention for this , then use Kokish
you bid 2H( relay) , your partner bids 2S (must), you bid 2nt (showing 25+ and balanced hand).
This way, you showed 25+ and you are still at the 2nt level which allows you to investigate major fit (puppet), etc

#20 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-03, 00:37

View Postlucky555, on 2015-June-03, 00:18, said:

Hi
If you want to play a fancy convention for this , then use Kokish
you bid 2H( relay) , your partner bids 2S (must), you bid 2nt (showing 25+ and balanced hand).
This way, you showed 25+ and you are still at the 2nt level which allows you to investigate major fit (puppet), etc

This convention(like all conventions) is dependent upon partnership agreement. It doesn't float everyone's boat(me included) :wacko:

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users