BBO Discussion Forums: Opening bid poll - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Opening bid poll

Poll: Opening bid? (34 member(s) have cast votes)

Opening bid

1. 1S (28 votes [82.35%])

Percentage of vote: 82.35%

2. 2NT (20-21) (1 votes [2.94%])

Percentage of vote: 2.94%

3. 2D (strong bid, not necessarily GF) (5 votes [14.71%])

Percentage of vote: 14.71%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-29, 16:08

AKQxx
AKxx
xx
Ax

Non-vul, 3rd seat, MPs. 5cM, weak NT context. Options are:
a) 1S - partner will respond on almost all 5-counts, but extremely rarely on less than that
b) 2NT (20-21), playing puppet stayman and transfers
c) 2D (strong bid). This isn't GF - partner can reply 2H GF or 2S NF double-negative.

ahydra

#2 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-31, 05:39

1S for me.

#3 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-31, 07:31

View Postahydra, on 2015-May-29, 16:08, said:

AKQxx
AKxx
xx
Ax

a) 1S - partner will respond on almost all 5-counts, but extremely rarely on less than that
c) 2D (strong bid). This isn't GF - partner can reply 2H GF or 2S NF double-negative.

ahydra

Has to be 1 This is what they teach you in the bridge school as a beginner..open with your
longest and strongest suit...
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#4 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 07:55

We have a strong two - what's wrong with using it? I'm not really experienced with these methods, but surely when you have a hand that is extremely strong for a one level bid, but not quite a game force, that would be a good hand to open with a strong forcing opening that doesn't push us to game. Is your P really raising 1 with Jxxx xx xxx xxxx? You will now get there opening 2. Similarly, now you can get there opposite xx QJxxx xx xxx, without getting too high opposite junk. I think 2 will make whenever p has 3 spades, and a lot of the time they have 2 (they could have the J, they could have doubleton heart, they could have Q!h, or a minor suit king, the suits could break).

You also don't really miss that much room for slams, unless the auction begins 1 - 2x, but in those cases you are probably going to end up pushing over partner's sign offs anyway because they won't really expect a hand like this.

#5 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 08:18

The trouble with 2 is that I guess you're passing 2, this is not good when you miss the game (and slam) opposite xxx, xxxxxx, x, xxx unless rescued by the opps.

If I was going to open NT, I'd take the optimistic view and open the 22-23 bid, as I think this better reflects the strength of the hand. K&R gives it as 23.1 which I think is slightly OTT but I think it's easily worth 22.

#6 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-31, 08:24

A K Q x x A K x x x x A x
c) 2D (strong bid). This isn't GF - partner can reply 2H GF or 2S NF double-negative.ahydra
IMO 1 = 10. 2 = 9. 2N = 8. 1 (strong) = 11 :)

#7 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 08:40

AKQxx
AKxx
xx
Ax

ahydra

1as a 'feeler' bid to see if there is any life opposite,is the correct choice.
If partner responds( glory hallelujah),the sky's the limit... :)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#8 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-May-31, 09:18

Side note: I have yet to see a good result from a strong (balanced or nondescript) 2 scheme which couldn't have been achieved via a different route; but plenty of disasters.

Side note 2: I don't think KnR should be used to decide between an opening 1-bid and an opening Strong artificial bid.

Side note 3: With Cyber's xxx xxxxxx x xxx opposite my opening 1 bid, the opponents holding 10 diamonds and 20 points will be giving us the opportunity to get where we want to go.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#9 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-31, 10:25

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-May-31, 09:18, said:

Side note: I have yet to see a good result from a strong (balanced or nondescript) 2 scheme which couldn't have been achieved via a different route; but plenty of disasters.

Side note 2: I don't think KnR should be used to decide between an opening 1-bid and an opening Strong artificial bid.

Side note 3: With Cyber's xxx xxxxxx x xxx opposite my opening 1 bid, the opponents holding 10 diamonds and 20 points will be giving us the opportunity to get where we want to go.

To note 2: I was using it to decide between 20-21 bal and 22-23 bal, so saying if I was treating it as bal, I would not treat it as 20-21

To note 3: I agree, but they might not over 2-P-2 which was part of the point, particularly if partner has a stray Q among that

For the record I would also open 1 as my NT scheme can't deal with this shape and we tend to respond light

#10 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2015-May-31, 11:31

View PostCyberyeti, on 2015-May-31, 10:25, said:

For the record I would also open 1 as my NT scheme can't deal with this shape and we tend to respond light

Not sure anyone's NT scheme can really handle 5-4 or 4-5 in the Majors effectively; but we chuckle about answers to (ugh) Puppet --- do we show the 5cM or the 1 or 2 4-cds?
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#11 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-31, 23:42

View Postaguahombre, on 2015-May-31, 11:31, said:

Not sure anyone's NT scheme can really handle 5-4 or 4-5 in the Majors effectively; but we chuckle about answers to (ugh) Puppet --- do we show the 5cM or the 1 or 2 4-cds?

Anyone who opens NTs on the example hand will seldom or never make a fortune(!) :(

#12 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 01:08

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-31, 23:42, said:

Anyone who opens NTs on the example hand will seldom or never make a fortune(!) :(

Except against GIB in a robot tournament
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#13 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-01, 07:34

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-June-01, 01:08, said:

Except against GIB in a robot tournament

Still wouldn't recommend it.... GIBs can be tricky opponents as well as tricky partners(!) :P

#14 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-04, 12:03

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-June-01, 07:34, said:

Still wouldn't recommend it.... GIBs can be tricky opponents as well as tricky partners(!) :P
When I evaluate incoming advice, particularly unsolicited, I consider a few influences:
1) The credibility of the advisor, ie his pedigree or credentials
2) The credibility of the advice, ie whether logically reasoned or supported by structured argument that stands on its feet
3) The quantum of personal experience on which to draw, and the degree of correlation of the advice with that experience.

As to the first item in the list, I have no information to suggest that it should carry any influence. I could be wrong, but simply have no evidence other than other posts in these forums, which I do not find particularly compelling. Let's just leave it at that.

As to the second item in the list, no logically reasoned argument has been presented to be subject to evaluation. "GIBs can be tricky" does not really qualify.

As to the third item, in the year from 01 June 2014 to 31 May 2015, I have played 8918 hands in robot tournaments. And I started playing in them somewhat earlier than that. When presented with an unsupported opinion from an unknown individual that is at odds with a significant wealth of personal experience, I will tend to side with personal experience.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users