BBO Discussion Forums: Mini No Trump... Hero or Villain? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Mini No Trump... Hero or Villain?

#21 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-29, 05:59

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-29, 01:15, said:

At least I was big enough to admit I was in error. Do I get Brownie points for that(?!) And FYI I do attend BIL classes...as a mentor(!)

I am inferring that there is no screening mechanism in place to prevent incompetents and idiots from serving as mentors. In earlier years, there was a really sad case of a player known as The Master (sarcastically) who claimed to be expert and who gave classes and played on bbo before large audiences, most of them being there to laugh at him. I think his name was Gerard Cohen. You seem to share some of his traits. If so, then you are not really a troll: just someone to be pitied, and avoided.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#22 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-29, 06:08

View Postmikeh, on 2015-May-29, 05:59, said:

I am inferring that there is no screening mechanism in place to prevent incompetents and idiots from serving as mentors. In earlier years, there was a really sad case of a player known as The Master (sarcastically) who claimed to be expert and who gave classes and played on bbo before large audiences, most of them being there to laugh at him. I think his name was Gerard Cohen. You seem to share some of his traits. If so, then you are not really a troll: just someone to be pitied, and avoided.

In the same way,there is no'screening mechanism' in place to prevent anti-talents from passing themselves off as "Experts" or "World Class" on their profiles(!)
And its soooo soul destroying when their fakery is exposed. Maybe it's these charlatans you should be dodging,methinks(!)

"He is a modest little man,with a lot to be modest about"
-Winston Churchill
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#23 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-May-29, 07:57

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-29, 06:08, said:

In the same way,there is no'screening mechanism' in place to prevent anti-talents from passing themselves off as "Experts" or "World Class" on their profiles(!)
And its soooo soul destroying when their fakery is exposed. Maybe it's these charlatans you should be dodging,methinks(!)

"He is a modest little man,with a lot to be modest about"
-Winston Churchill

MikeH got 2nd in a Bermuda Bowl. Even if he hadnt he has more insightful posts on here than nearly any poster except JLall. He deserves respect, not trolling.

Other than you sharing a nickname with me and two outstanding players from the UK what have you provided to this forum besides utter gibberish?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#24 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-29, 08:13

View PostPhil, on 2015-May-29, 07:57, said:

MikeH got 2nd in a Bermuda Bowl. Even if he hadnt he has more insightful posts on here than nearly any poster except JLall. He deserves respect, not trolling.

Other than you sharing a nickname with me and two outstanding players from the UK what have you provided to this forum besides utter gibberish?

I wish I had a second in the BB. I have played in two BB events, on teams that finished very low in the standings. Once my partner and I scored pretty well in the Butler at the event, but in Veldhoven I played so badly that I retired from any serious bridge :(

But thx for the compliments about my postings :D
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#25 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2015-May-29, 08:22

View Postmikeh, on 2015-May-29, 08:13, said:

I wish I had a second in the BB. I have played in two BB events, on teams that finished very low in the standings. Once my partner and I scored pretty well in the Butler at the event, but in Veldhoven I played so badly that I retired from any serious bridge :(

But thx for the compliments about my postings :D

Sorry! I thought you were on Fred's / Mouse's team in 95 (?).

Doesn't matter - you are still revered around here in spite of the occasional interloper's opinion.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#26 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-29, 08:28

Please stop all the insults over people's intelligence. I don't care if you think it's warranted, this language is inappropriate in the forums.

#27 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-29, 11:26

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-29, 01:15, said:

At least I was big enough to admit I was in error. Do I get Brownie points for that(?!) And FYI I do attend BIL classes...as a mentor(!)

I even made a rap song for dear Phil! Lyrics are done, working on the melody and beats. (ok I hate rap and this is my first try, so go easy on me!)Posted Image

My name is Teemo
Where is my Phil00
I offered you a game of fair
Calling me out got lost in the air!

We have been reading you comments
These had been funny moments
You called me out in the light
What changed your mind last night?

You called us "palookas"
Attacked with your PASS ookas!
As if that wasn't enough.
You are killing us with more funny stuff!

My name is Teemo
Where is my Phil00!?
It is not the weak notrump
Phil00 is my HERO!
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#28 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2015-May-30, 07:01

Oh dear!
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#29 User is offline   suokko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:*dreaming*

Posted 2015-June-04, 12:25

View PostArtK78, on 2015-May-28, 08:51, said:

I have always wondered why anyone would play a 10-12 1NT opening in third seat opposite a passed partner. You seem to be inviting the opponents to double you.

Sorry. for a bit later reply. But I can see multiple reasons when mini-NT can be winner 3rd seat. Of course red vs white positive sides aren't that big and negative sides increase a lot. That makes the 3rd seat mini 1NT scoring expectations highly depending on vulnerability.

1. 1NT is pre-emptive opening. Opponents will have hard time finding correct part-scores and games
2. Doubling even that 1NT with passed partner is not risk free for opponents. I have opened 10 hcp 3rd seat 12-14 1NT and ended up making it redoubled (partner had 10hcp too).
3. There is no game so whole 1NT system can be designed to look for the best part-score our way.

#30 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-08, 04:54

I was just wondering whether anyone who played a mini notrump ever played 9-16 NT in 3rd seat (or 10-15 depending on your exact NT range). If so, how well did that work?

#31 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-June-08, 11:13

1) yes (specifically, 8-"we don't have game").
2) we never opened 1NT in third seat in three years :-)

Specifically, p-1NT-3 would have showed 4 clubs and 10-12 (and by inference 4441); p-1NT-3 showed 4 diamonds and 10-12 (and by inference 4441; strong implication that it's 4=4=4=1). But that was a function of the EHAA pass.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#32 User is offline   suokko 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:*dreaming*

Posted 2015-June-09, 08:33

What about 4th seat?

I just opened 4th seat 11-13 1NT with 14 hcp in the latest Cayne match. We should probably explain those 1NT opening up to no game interest meaning quite many 14 hcp hands fit to the category.

#33 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 11:29

I have definite game interest opposite a passed hand with that hand (eg make E your partner and convert his TD to the J, and game looks excellent. Even as his hand is, it will have play)
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#34 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-June-09, 15:22

Ah, but partner can't have East's hand (with or without the J). That's a 1NT opener, isn't it?
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#35 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2015-June-10, 09:13

What does "no conventions" mean in practice? Would it be allowed to play, say:
2: invite or better, better minor no 5-card major
2: To play
2NT: Invitational
3m: Invitational, 6-card suit
3M: Forcing, at least 5-card suit

With some partner we play white on red 1st and 2nd seat the following "crazy" system:

1NT: 9 - 12 NT
2NT: 13 - 14 NT

Similar to Zia's ploy in the Cavendish some years ago. We agreed that if we would lose IMPs on it, we would forget about it. This never happened. We had some 2NT-1 vs 1NT = hands but opponents, even good ones, have trouble shooting the weak 2NT because they are never sure bidding their own game isn't better.
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#36 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-10, 09:33

View PostGerben42, on 2015-June-10, 09:13, said:

What does "no conventions" mean in practice? Would it be allowed to play, say:
2: To play
2NT: Invitational
3m: Invitational, 6-card suit
3M: Forcing, at least 5-card suit

I think it basically means "no artificial bids". These are all natural (when you bid a suit, it's your longest suit), the only necessary agreement is the strength they each show (which is also natural: the more you have, the higher you bid). So I think a system like this would be allowed.

If this weren't allowed, what would? The only less "conventional" response system would be that responder just bids what he thinks they can make, and opener is essentially barred.

#37 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-June-10, 12:32

I think that would be allowed. However, "no conventions" also means:
  • No conventions later in the auction. That means no Gerber, Blackwood, no bidding a suit you don't have cards or the A or K in, throughout the auction.
  • No conventional defences, even to conventional defences to your openings. No SOS redoubles, takeout doubles, or bidding suits you don't intend to play in (including cuebids of their suits, bid or implied (again, unless it shows a stopper/control in that suit)). So when they *do* double you in 1NT, all calls are either "to play" or "INV, NAT".

#38 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-June-11, 06:51

Is bidding 2 with a 6=6=1=0 invite really natural? Okay that's an extreme hand but it is going to be a 2 card suit quite often. My guess is that the meaning of "no conventions" is purely up to the TD/club and is likely to vary from place to place. As for what is more natural - 2X to play, 2NT/3X invite, 3NT/4X game would work. ;)
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#39 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-11, 08:28

View PostZelandakh, on 2015-June-11, 06:51, said:

Is bidding 2 with a 6=6=1=0 invite really natural?

His meaning of 2 is no 5-card major. That has two 5-card majors.

Or was your smiley because you interpreted "5-card major" to mean "exactly 5 cards", not "at least 5 cards" as obviously intended?

#40 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-June-11, 08:50

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-11, 08:28, said:

His meaning of 2 is no 5-card major. That has two 5-card majors.

Or was your smiley because you interpreted "5-card major" to mean "exactly 5 cards", not "at least 5 cards" as obviously intended?

I actually missed that :blink: and it means that there is seemingly no bid available with any (45)xx invite or better hand. It is actually not far away from Culbertson's NT structure, believe it or not.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users