• You cannot reply to this topic

FIFA

#21 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-28, 00:18

View PostMbodell, on 2015-May-27, 23:52, said:

You called it: 2015 World Cup in USA Yes, that is a satire site.

Is this serious?
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#22 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-May-28, 01:35

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-28, 00:18, said:

Is this serious?

No. It is from the Onion.
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#23 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2015-May-28, 07:21

View PostMbodell, on 2015-May-27, 23:52, said:

You called it: 2015 World Cup in USA

:D
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#24 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 07:57

View Postgwnn, on 2015-May-28, 01:35, said:

No. It is from the Onion.

Thanks. I did not even know what Onion was until you mentioned.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#25 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 08:10

No doubt, it was time to start justify the FIFA mobster...but there are a lot of questions in which way it happens.

What if the chinese justice let arrested in Brasil corriupt US managers because they break chinese law?
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#26 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-May-28, 08:42

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-28, 07:57, said:

Thanks. I did not even know what Onion was until you mentioned.

Some years back one of the Onion guys was interviewed on NPR. They asked him if they ever rejected something on grounds of taste. Yes, they had. He cited, for example, killing a story after 9-11 that had the following: "We are as strong as ever", a spokesman for the Quadragon said.
Ken

#27 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-28, 08:57

View PostAberlour10, on 2015-May-28, 08:10, said:

No doubt, it was time to start justify the FIFA mobster...but there are a lot of questions in which way it happens.

What if the chinese justice let arrested in Brasil corriupt US managers because they break chinese law?

FIFA officials used US banks to handle their finances. That subjects them to US laws governing financial transactions. If, for some reason, US managers in Brazil were using Chinese financial institutions and violated Chinese laws governing financial transactions, then China would have a valid reason for seeking their arrest and extradition.

#28 User is offline   kenberg 

Posted 2015-May-28, 09:04

I have been trying to put my finger on what it is that bothers me here.
Here is a link to a (pretty basic) Washington Post story.

Federal law grants law enforcement agencies broad authority to pursue criminal investigations as long as there is some connection to the United States, even a tangential one such as the involvement of a bank, Internet service provider or cell phone company.

"If you touch our shores with your corrupt enterprise … you will be held accountable," [FBI Director] Comey said Wednesday.

I understand that international organizations have to obey the laws of the countries that they are operating in, but this business about cell phones and the internet seems scary. If some non-US citizen in Switzerland uses his g-mail account while doing something corrupt with someone in Qatar then we can charge him?

I'm sure it isn't simple. Lots of money, lots of laws, lots of lawyers. But the thought that I could be arrested in Switzerland and extradited to France because I was drinking Bordeaux while engaging in corruption makes me uneasy.
Ken

#29 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 09:31

involvrement of internet server in United States = USA can justify everybody under the sun.

#30 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 09:48

View PostAberlour10, on 2015-May-28, 09:31, said:

involvrement of internet server in United States = USA can justify everybody under the sun.

You raise an old but fair point. Government laws in theory can always be twisted by a Tyrant. The Law can always be perverted in the name of the greater good.

It helps to have checks and balances and competing interests but your point is fair.

#31 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-28, 10:55

If Google didn't want to subject their foreign customers to US laws, they could have offshore partners that operate their own servers, licensing Google's software. A country could even conceivably require Google to operate that way before allowing them to serve their customers.

In fact, I think China has regulations like that. When I worked at Akamai, we couldn't run servers in China ourselves, we needed to engage a Chinese company to do it for us.

#32 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-May-28, 11:40

You managed to find the main culprit Aberlour. It's the evil American Imperialist Freemasonry again (as always). Poor innocent Blatter! I hope he will get out of this persecution unscathed.
      George Carlin

#33 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 12:17

View Postgwnn, on 2015-May-28, 11:40, said:

You managed to find the main culprit Aberlour. It's the evil American Imperialist Freemasonry again (as always). Poor innocent Blatter! I hope he will get out of this persecution unscathed.

Chances are pretty good I think. Nothing seems to stick to him. Even if he is forced to retire, that is no special loss at his age and wealth.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#34 User is offline   Cyberyeti 

Posted 2015-May-28, 12:21

The only way they'll get Blatter is if a load of the people they just fingered turn state's evidence and put the blame on him.

#35 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 12:24

View Postgwnn, on 2015-May-28, 11:40, said:

No reason to get excited. I wrote clearly FIFA mobster deserve it.

But there are other aspects and not only in this case. You may not to belive it, but there are people too in western world who dont like this upcoming Lex Americana. Thats all-

#36 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-May-28, 12:25

It's fine to be anti-America but I think you can find better examples to bring up to make your point (NSA, drones, whatever) than investigating FIFA for corruption. That's all I'm saying. If you think there will be a Lex Americana, by all means speak up when they are implementing it against the weak and innocent, but not when they are investigating one of the largest and most corrupt organisations on the planet.

PS: the word you are looking for is not "justify" but "prosecute"
      George Carlin

#37 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 12:36

View Postgwnn, on 2015-May-28, 12:25, said:

It's fine to be anti-America but I think you can find better examples to bring up to make your point (NSA, drones, whatever) than investigating FIFA for corruption. That's all I'm saying. If you think there will be a Lex Americana, by all means speak up when they are implementing it against the weak and innocent, but not when they are investigating one of the largest and most corrupt organisations on the planet.

To be against Lex Americana is not equal with anti-american.This is bullshit and you know it.

This case is not isolate, there were several other where US justice pressured many countries by the way I dont want to name.

But it would hijack this topic finally.

#38 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt

Posted 2015-May-28, 13:49

To be against Lex Americana is not equal with anti-american.

No no it is not, I am basing my "anti-American" remark more on your posting history in general in political threads. Like I said, there's nothing wrong with that per se (and your points are mostly valid, if a bit skewed) but your stance is a bit mistimed/absurd in this case. "Yes, FIFA is bad, but the Americans!!!" Some people use the same sentence but with a different 4-letter acronym. Yes this is getting off-topic. Good luck with your future American-bashing.
      George Carlin

#39 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 14:49

Gwnn, I think you are unfair here. Being worried about "Lex Americana" is not the same as being anti-American. Nor does it equate to supporting FIFA.

Kenberg has posted his worries about this "Lex Americana". I doubt you can call him anti-American.

Most posters here want the FIFA cleaned up. But the way this American law works is very shady.

What if the US government passed a law that makes promoting evolution theory a criminal offense? That would mean that half of us could be arrested and extradicted to the USA! After all, we are committing this crime on a server in Las Vegas, NV, USA.

So, I think the worries are genuine. Many people in this world are somehow linked to the USA. That doesn't mean that their actions (good or bad) are suddenly under the jurisdiction of the USA. What if other countries would do the same? Many Americans are -without knowing it- linked to many other countries.

Suppose the Finnish government would pass a similar law and decides that spelling errors should be punished by a fine of €10 per error. You and I don't have a say in that, and neither does Kenberg. Many of those Google servers are physically located in Lapland. (Good internet connections, low costs for cooling the servers.)

With the revenue their law generates, the Fins could afford to bribe all FIFA officials and the stadiums for the next world cup soccer would be in Helsinki, Kuopio, Oulu, Tampere, Turku, Rovaniemi, Lappenranta, and Jyväskylä.

Boy, are we lucky that they are more interested in hockey and ski jumping!

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#40 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 14:53

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-May-28, 14:49, said:

Gwnn, I think you are unfair here. Being worried about "Lex Americana" is not the same as being anti-American. Nor does it equate to supporting FIFA.

Kenberg has posted his worries about this "Lex Americana". I doubt you can call him anti-American.

Most posters here want the FIFA cleaned up. But the way this American law works is very shady.

What if the US government passed a law that makes promoting evolution theory a criminal offense? That would mean that half of us could be arrested and extradicted to the USA! After all, we are committing this crime on a server in Las Vegas, NV, USA.

So, I think the worries are genuine. Many people in this world are somehow linked to the USA. That doesn't mean that their actions (good or bad) are suddenly under the jurisdiction of the USA. What if other countries would do the same? Many Americans are -without knowing it- linked to many other countries.

Suppose the Finnish government would pass a similar law and decides that spelling errors should be punished by a fine of €10 per error. You and I don't have a say in that, and neither does Kenberg. Many of those Google servers are physically located in Lapland. (Good internet connections, low costs for cooling the servers.)

With the revenue their law generates, the Fins could afford to bribe all FIFA officials and the stadiums for the next world cup soccer would be in Helsinki, Kuopio, Oulu, Tampere, Turku, Rovaniemi, Lappenranta, and Jyväskylä.

Boy, are we lucky that they are more interested in hockey and ski jumping!

Rik

good ideas but I assume it does not have to be a federal law. I assume we can do this for city or county or state laws
I think you got a money maker here.

• 9 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users