• You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

When to alert a double

#1 User is offline   Liversidge 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Gardening, DIY, Travel

Posted 2015-May-25, 07:30

(I posted this earlier today and it has disappeared. Hope it was not removed because I have posted in the wrong place.)

I am relatively new to bridge and play at an EBU registered club level in the UK, with a mix of members from novice to intermediate level. Partner and I have an understanding that a double of a natural suit on the first round of bidding is for takeout, up to the 3 level, but have not discussed what happens as the bidding develops – we don’t double nearly as often as we should!
I was pulled up by an opponent last week for not alerting after partner doubled a suit bid on the second or third round of bidding (can’t remember how it went). I was unsure what the double meant but decided it was for penalty and said so to my opponent when he asked. When he said I should have alerted my partner said that when he doubled he wasn’t sure how I’d take it but was quite happy if I left it in or took it out.

I have checked up since and according to the EBU Blue Book 2013, the rules for alerting doubles are:

(a) Suit bids that show the suit bid
Alert, unless the double is for take-out.

(b) Minor suit openings which may be shorter than three cards but which may be natural and which do not promise a strong hand Alert, unless the double is for take-out.

© No trump bids Alert, unless the double is for penalties.

(d) Suit bids that do not show the suit bid
Alert, unless the double shows the suit bid.

I take this to mean that no matter how the bidding has gone, including passes or No Trump bids along the way, if partner doubles a natural suit bid then I have to take it to be a takeout bid, and if I want to convert it to a penalty I just pass, without saying anything, and presumably have a hand that justifies my pass (i.e. good cards in the doubled suit). So if my opponent asks what partner’s bid meant I say ‘takeout’.

If partner opens 1H and the bidding goes 1H (1S) 2H (2S) 3H (3S) x (P) P then do I take it that my partner needs to alert my double as being a penalty double (which it obviously is from the bidding – we are only interested in hearts)?

#2 User is offline   StevenG 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 09:16

It seems to have moved to the "Laws and Rulings" forum.

#3 User is offline   TMorris 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 09:17

View PostLiversidge, on 2015-May-25, 07:30, said:

If partner opens 1H and the bidding goes 1H (1S) 2H (2S) 3H (3S) x (P) P then do I take it that my partner needs to alert my double as being a penalty double (which it obviously is from the bidding – we are only interested in hearts)?

The answer to this question is yes.

Regarding your earlier question is that it depends on your partnership agreement. IF your partner makes a double that you have agreed is take-out over a natural suit bid below 3NT then you do not alert it. People agree that doubles of natural suit bids are penalties over a certain level. What that level is depends on your agreements. If your agreement is penalties over 2S for the sake of arguement then in the sequence 1S (P) 2H (P)
3H (x)

you would alert this as penalties.

In the sequence 1H (P) 1NT (x)

many people play this double as take out of hearts so it should be alerted as it is not a penalty double of the no trump contract but if you play it as a penalty double of 1NT then you should not alert it.

I hope that helps but if not feel free to post more.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-25, 10:10

View PostLiversidge, on 2015-May-25, 07:30, said:

(I posted this earlier today and it has disappeared. Hope it was not removed because I have posted in the wrong place.)

It was moved to the Laws and Ruling Forum. Sorry for not announcing it, didn't realize you'll have troubles finding it. Here's your original post:
http://www.bridgebas...erting-doubles/

I'll lock this one and you can continue the discussion in the original thread which already has several replies.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • This topic is locked

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users