• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Old Topics

#1 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-May-24, 15:44

Not mentioning anyone in particular but loads of old topics been dragged up recently imo a bit pointlessly

is it worth topics being automatically locked after a certain period of time, say 1 year or something

just a thought

cheers

Eagles
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-25, 15:03

I've seen similar suggestions in other forums I've participated in.

It doesn't seem like it happens often enough to warrant worrying about, and it will get in the way when someone has a legitimate reason to resurrect an old thread.

#3 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:I'm also on YOUTUBE with a channel of music songs .

Posted 2015-June-02, 13:39

View Posteagles123, on 2015-May-24, 15:44, said:

Not mentioning anyone in particular but loads of old topics been dragged up recently imo a bit pointlessly

is it worth topics being automatically locked after a certain period of time, say 1 year or something

just a thought

cheers

Eagles

I don't know if i have understood well but if do you want see again old topics you had partecipate, that is possible.

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-02, 18:23

View PostLovera, on 2015-June-02, 13:39, said:

I don't know if i have understood well...

No, you have not understood well... He wants you to stop re-opening old topics after everyone else has stopped posting in them.

#5 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-03, 10:35

I was only talking about the possibility to open and see (if anyone needs to read again) post/topic over the year cut-off that is in "Find my content" starting from the beginning.

#6 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-04, 10:13

View PostLovera, on 2015-June-03, 10:35, said:

I was only talking about the possibility to open and see (if anyone needs to read again) post/topic over the year cut-off that is in "Find my content" starting from the beginning.

No one is saying that you shouldn't be able to find them. He only suggested that we should prevent adding replies to them.

"My Content" limits its search to 1 year. But the regular Search screen has no time limit.

#7 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-05, 03:24

I don't think it does any good to prevent people from necro'ing. If you really have something to write that relates to an old discussion you could always make a new thread on the same issue anyway. Besides, there are threads like "introduction and the like", "bbf system directory" etc. which are meant for being necro'd so there would need to be exceptions.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 00:24

We should regard it as refreshing that someone has gone to the trouble of searching the forums for previous relevant threads.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#9 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-June-09, 04:09

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-June-09, 00:24, said:

We should regard it as refreshing that someone has gone to the trouble of searching the forums for previous relevant threads.

Exactly. Instead of asking a question that has been addressed umpteen times before it is much better to necro one of the old threads.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#10 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2015-June-09, 04:19

Necroing is my favourite part of participating in the forums. I'd likely stop participating if it were made impossible (very likely not in practice but OK).
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#11 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-June-09, 09:11

View Posthelene_t, on 2015-June-09, 04:09, said:

Exactly. Instead of asking a question that has been addressed umpteen times before it is much better to necro one of the old threads.

Reading an old thread to get an answer to a question, so you don't re-ask it, isn't necroing. Necroing is when you respond to the old thread.

This probably isn't as big a deal in a forum like ours, where many topics are timeless. I was reading the Usenet newsgroup rec.arts.tv this morning, and someone necroed threads about shows that haven't been on for several years -- extremely weird.

#12 User is offline   broze 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 09:23

View Postbarmar, on 2015-June-04, 10:13, said:

"My Content" limits its search to 1 year.

Why is this and can I disable it? It makes finding my old threads annoyingly difficult.
'In an infinite universe, the one thing sentient life cannot afford to have is a sense of proportion.' - Douglas Adams

#13 User is offline   Lovera 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2016-March-13, 16:51

View Postbroze, on 2016-March-13, 09:23, said:

Why is this and can I disable it? It makes finding my old threads annoyingly difficult.

No, and what i tried to explain :i. e. If you want to review an your old post can acting on windows at the bottom of page that you are interested.(like it http://www.bridgebas...post__p__876862
add at the left "Show type" and click on , choising in the roll "Topic:i replied" and then"Go"

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users