• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

awaiting for the pass split from Opening a 22pt hand thread

#1 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-21, 00:32

Mod note: This thread is split from Opening a 22 pt hand at the 4th level.
-------------------

View Posteagles123, on 2015-May-20, 12:53, said:

*awaits phil g saying its a wtp pass*

He will.

But I suspect he is just an attention freak troll. I think he is having some sort of fun from the reactions he receives. I am expecting mods to see this at some point.
He is just making the forums look bad, this is the sad part.
We all seen morons and I am firm believer of there is no limitation to it. But I do not believe it happens every single topic in same forum with almost %100 predictable replies.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-May-22, 16:03

"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#2 User is offline   Antrax 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 03:07

On the other hand, you have to be a good player to know what the worst bid would be, and once people figure that out you can actually learn from his posts.

#3 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-21, 03:57

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-21, 00:32, said:

He will.

But I suspect he is just an attention freak troll. I think he is having some sort of fun from the reactions he receives. I am expecting mods to see this at some point.
We all seen morons and I am firm believer of there is no limitation to it. But I do not believe it happens every single topic in same forum with almost %100 predictable replies.

According to his BBO profile, he's a BIL mentor... And he does pass strong hands on BBO just like he preaches. You have to adjust those limits.

#4 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-21, 04:21

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-May-21, 03:57, said:

According to his BBO profile, he's a BIL mentor... And he does pass strong hands on BBO just like he preaches. You have to adjust those limits.

1- Being a BIL mentor does not give anyone free pass to troll in forums.

2-If indeed he is not trolling and serious (please check his recent comments), then I am more than happy to apologize. But then again..this begs to question (As Rainer would say) "Who is gonna apologize to the mentees on behalf of BBO or whomever is responsible to train them?"

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-14, 06:56, said:

I wouldn't be looking at any slam on these two hands. For one thing,they are misfitted;communication
is awkward. Either or both majors could break badly. K109x in either opponents hand would be the death knell for any slam
3NT is possible on the example hands but even that would need some fancy footwork by declarer to bring it home.....

He is talking about a cold 9+ tricks even if you just simply play your top cards blindfolded.

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 01:37, said:

How many players would have the courage to pass this hand? Yet that is exactly what you must do and trust to partner to take action in the balancing seat(as a good player would) Too many players tend to forget that bridge is a partnership game DON'T FORGET YOUR PARTNER!!!!! :angry:
Doubling for take out on this hand is idiotic as you have no tolerance for clubs. A 1NT overcall promises a double stop in which you don't have. You have 19 points and RHO has opened the bidding. If partner has a 'bust' which is highly likely,you still only have 19 points. It is not yet time to get excited..(!) :rolleyes:
Pass and hope that partner will keep the auction open.

He is talking about QJx AKJTx AKJTx void, after his RHO opened 1. And he continues in same topic for the same hand.

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 23:02, said:

So you would stick your neck out? Then the next thing you might hear is "DOUBLE" in a voice like thunder from LHO
Partner puts down a Yarborough and you can then get ready with the sackcloth and ashes(!) What seperates the expert from
the palooka is the former's highly developed sense of danger. This is no time to be a hero. The cemeteries are full
of them(!) Posted Image Right hand side of road..safe Left hand side of road..safe....Middle of road......

Our mentor's opinion about negative double.

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 23:08, said:

Micheals is OK...if you've agreed to use this gadget...but what if you haven't(?) Personally,I don't like this device. Along with the negative double,it
must rank as one of the worst coventions ever devised.

His opinion about 1 NT-4 NT sequence

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-11, 07:43, said:

The sequence 1NT-4NT is what is known as "quantitative" The 4NT bidder is inviting partner
to bid 6NT if he is maximum for his opening bid. If he is minimum,he passes. However,if a slam is bid, there is a danger that there could be
2 top losers against the side.(It's happened to me more than once!) :( Not recommended Better to use Gerber 4 convention

He is definitely explaining what separates a true expert from a palooka as you read above. Now at least we know where do all these "BBO experts" getting their expert license from!
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#5 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:13

He will.

I'd love to challenge you to a money match Mr Deuce....if only it were possible :angry:
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#6 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:23

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-21, 04:21, said:

1- Being a BIL mentor does not give anyone free pass to troll in forums.

2-If indeed he is not trolling and serious (please check his recent comments), then I am more than happy to apologize. But then again..this begs to question (As Rainer would say) "Who is gonna apologize to the mentees on behalf of BBO or whomever is responsible to train them?"

He is talking about a cold 9+ tricks even if you just simply play your top cards blindfolded.

He is talking about QJx AKJTx AKJTx void, after his RHO opened 1. And he continues in same topic for the same hand.

Our mentor's opinion about negative double.

His opinion about 1 NT-4 NT sequence

He is definitely explaining what separates a true expert from a palooka as you read above. Now at least we know where do all these "BBO experts" getting their expert license from!

Anyone who questions my ability as a Mentor is invited to approach Maureen the BIL manager(known as Hallway on BBO) She has had very positive feedback from my students. Bridge,like any intellectual game inevitably attracts swellheads like" Mr ACE" History records they also laughed at Columbus,the discoverer of America <_< Mr Ace evidently still thinks the world is flat(!) ;)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess

#7 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:27

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-21, 06:23, said:

History records they also laughed at Columbus,the discoverer of America Posted Image

I believe it's not necessary to rediscover bridge when mentoring beginners. The best way to go about that is teach them mainstream stuff (like negative doubles for example), preferably what's most common in their area, so that they wont have problems finding a compatible partner playing the same things as they do.

#8 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:38

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-May-21, 06:27, said:

I believe it's not necessary to rediscover bridge when mentoring beginners. The best way to go about that is teach them mainstream stuff (like negative doubles for example), preferably what's most common in their area, so that they wont have problems finding a compatible partner playing the same things as they do.

Given that it is better for a partnership to play one bad system than two different good systems, I am sure that Phil G will start to teach his students some mainstream stuff soon (no matter how bad this mainstream stuff is).

Edit: ;)

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#9 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:42

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-May-21, 06:38, said:

Given that it is better for a partnership to play one bad system than two different good systems, I am sure that Phil G will start to teach his students some mainstream stuff soon (no matter how bad this mainstream stuff is).

Rik

My point was that what he advocates is not mainstream at all. I don't say this because I think his stuff is common yet not optimal. I think what he recommends is highly unusual and nobody else will play the same way (eg pass 19+ HCP hands when opps have bid, expect pd to balance on anything "like a good partner should", scaring them into thinking that bidding is the mark of heroes and not just a normal thing to do)

#10 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:50

He will.

We all seen morons and I am firm believer of there is no limitation to it. But I do not believe it happens every single topic in same forum with almost %100 predictable replies

"Attention freak troll"??? And what,pray, are YOU??!!
One day,I'll rub you up the right way (!) :P

#11 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 07:00

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-May-21, 03:57, said:

Yes I have done.....and got excellent results as oppposed to those who took the gung ho approach. Why should I adjust? If it ain't broken,don't fix it.. <_<

#12 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 07:22

Aha, an interesting theory. Essentially, he is intentionally suggesting bad ideas, knowing them to be such? Possible I suppose, although it violates Hanlon's razor.

I wonder too, if his pass-strong-hands approach actually gets results for raising raw beginners to mid-novice level. Overbidding strong hands at high levels is indeed a common disease. Of course, in many cases these strong hands do need to be bid. I wonder if he really does not know the difference, or if he is intentionally ignoring the difference, on the idea that this approach will improve a beginner's results overall. After all, if you just pass out the hand in this thread, you will likely at least get a plus score.

Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#13 User is offline   masse24 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 09:59

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-21, 06:13, said:

I'd love to challenge you to a money match Mr Deuce....if only it were possible :angry:

Good humor! :D
May I get a piece of the action?!
Or better yet, recruit a random beginner from the BIL and duke it out in the money bridge room. It would make for a more evenly matched battle!
We could even charge admission; maybe even raise a few bucks for charity. What the heck, I'm always willing to pay to see a good comedy act. :P
“Never argue with an idiot. They will only bring you down to their level and beat you with experience.” George Carlin

#14 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 10:28

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-May-21, 06:42, said:

My point was

Sorry Diana, I shold have added a smiley to my post...

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#15 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 10:29

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-May-21, 10:28, said:

Sorry Diana, I shold have added a smiley to my post...

Rik

Ha I totally bought it LOL

#16 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 10:41

Phil: 300/400
Ace: 650/680

Next board, please!

How many boards were you playing? And the stakes were?

Rik

#17 User is offline   SelfGovern 

• PipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge (huh?), Toastmasters, Data Storage, photography

Posted 2015-May-21, 13:41

View Postmasse24, on 2015-May-21, 09:59, said:

Good humor! :D
May I get a piece of the action?!
Or better yet, recruit a random beginner from the BIL and duke it out in the money bridge room. It would make for a more evenly matched battle!
We could even charge admission; maybe even raise a few bucks for charity. What the heck, I'm always willing to pay to see a good comedy act. :P

Unless they've changed it, the BBO money games are two real people sitting left and right of each other, each with a robot partner. Although that seemed odd to me at first, I realized it's to remove the possibility of cheating by a N/S pair colluding against the E/W pair, for instance. I don't remember whether kibitzing is allowed, but suspect not, for the same cheat-avoidance reason.
Liberty breeds responsibility

#18 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-21, 13:49

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-21, 06:50, said:

"Attention freak troll"??? And what,pray, are YOU??!!
One day,I'll rub you up the right way (!) :P

I truly apologize. I really thought you were trolling. My bad! Posted Image
What was I thinking? Once again I underestimated the limitation of stupidity and confused it with something else.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-21, 14:06

Actually it is.

You put $ to BBO and so do I. We play in BBO money game section. You have a GIB and so do i. Same skill level pd for both of us. Rest pretty much depends on my mercy Posted Image
But I doubt you are "walk the walk" as much as you are "talk the talk" Posted Image

This is a very good chance to give a lesson to this Mr.Deuce. If I were you I would not miss this opportunity. Easy money for you!! And just to make it easier and shorter for you to finish me, we should play at the highest $ table. We play until one of us says "uncle" regardless of how long it takes. If I were you I would not be discouraged/if when down couple hundreds or thousands. A good player at your caliber can close the gap easily at any time.

Do we have a deal? I mean...after all you are the one who asked for it, didn't you?

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 15:59

Walk THE walk, Talk THE talk. Just FYI.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users