BBO Discussion Forums: 1c-1d relay (montreal relay with nobs on) - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1c-1d relay (montreal relay with nobs on) forrester-gold?

#1 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-22, 09:15

i'm trying to find a minor opening structure (2/1 base) that my partner won't refuse to play, but which is an improvement over standard. personally, i like t-walsh with transfer completion showing the weak NT and rebidding 1NT showing 18-19 or similar, but my partner won't play xfer responses.

i know forrester-gold play 1c as all balanced hands outside NT range, any 4441 shape with 16+, or clubs unbalanced, with 1M responses showing 5, 2H weak flannery and 1d being some kind of relay. does anyone know the follow-ups and have views on the merits? this would get past my partner because his favourite bridge treatment is 1m-(1h)-1s to show 5.

alternatively, does anyone have another suggestion (still 2/1 base), subject to a lack of transfers? moderate complexity is possible from partner's viewpoint, but full relay isn't. neither of is by inclination an aggressive opening bidder, so you could have a weak-intermediate pass for some hands if that helped. no system regulation issues.

#2 User is offline   Kungsgeten 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-22, 10:06

Swedish player Ulf Nilsson plays something like:

1C = 10-14 bal (can include 5M332) or natural
1D = Natural unbal or 18--20 NT (no 5M332)
1M = 5+
1N = 15-17
2C = Strong (21+ NT included)
2N = 18--20, 5M332

1C--
1D = 11+ relay, no five card major
1M = Natural, if 4-card suit then < 11 hp
1N = 6-10, no major
2X = Various two-suiters in the 8-10 range

#3 User is offline   Zelandakh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-22, 13:57

Anything wrong with simple Walsh? That would be my recommendation for someone that could not manage a simple transfer scheme yet. For a simple, artificial solution, you might try something like:

==
1 = any INV+
1M = 4+ suit, possible canapé, weak, NF
1N = 4+ diamonds, weak, usually no 4M, NF
2 = 5+ clubs, weak, usually no 4M, NF
2 = weak, nat, ~3-7
--

1 - 1
==
1 = weak, art, 5+ clubs and 4 in a red suit
... - 1 = relay
... - ... - 1NT = 4 diamonds
... - ... - 2 = 4 hearts
1 = weak, nat
1NT = weak, nat
2 = weak, nat
2 = 18-19 bal, GF
2M = nat, GF
2N = 5+ clubs, 4+ diamonds, GF
3C+ = 1-suited, GF

...but whether there is any realistic overall gain over natural is another question. Probably better for them to spend the time learning T-Walsh and switching over to that when they feel comfortable with it.

As an aside, I believe Mark Roderick (Coch Draig on BBO) used to play a 5551 system with a 1 relay - perhaps he might have notes of what they were doing if you see him about.
(-: Zel :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users