• You cannot reply to this topic

Hamstrung

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-21, 15:42

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

My result here was a self-inflected wound, since I made the 3 bid in full knowledge of what I was promising.

But does anybody play that a 3 bid in this position shows up to 21 HCP and twice rebiddable , particularly at matchpoints? On the auction, North is known to have a weakish hand and at least 4 cards in one minor suit. In all my partnerships, my 3 bid is purely competitive and asks partner to select between the minors at the 3 level (pass or correct). I have a lot of other strong bids available (2NT, 3NT, 3, 4), and if I pass that will end the auction. At matchpoints, it's silly to have to choose between defending 2 and playing in 3NT.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-21, 16:19

what would double have meant?
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 19:17

View Poststeve2005, on 2015-May-21, 16:19, said:

what would double have meant?

#4 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 17:28

View Postuva72uva72, on 2015-May-21, 15:42, said:

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

My result here was a self-inflected wound, since I made the 3 bid in full knowledge of what I was promising.

But does anybody play that a 3 bid in this position shows up to 21 HCP and twice rebiddable , particularly at matchpoints? On the auction, North is known to have a weakish hand and at least 4 cards in one minor suit. In all my partnerships, my 3 bid is purely competitive and asks partner to select between the minors at the 3 level (pass or correct). I have a lot of other strong bids available (2NT, 3NT, 3, 4), and if I pass that will end the auction. At matchpoints, it's silly to have to choose between defending 2 and playing in 3NT.

Given the North can't hold 4 hearts or 4 spades and make double penalty anyway then your best best is pass.

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 18:33

Agree completely. Here is something that has occurred to me. JDonn's long post, among others, discusses the difficulty in programming GIB. And I can see the point. What has NEVER been addressed to my knowledge by BBO personnel is the quality of the bid explanations. They would require some time and effort to fix, but, as I have stated many times before, it would be well worth the effort.

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 22:23

Opponents have a guaranteed 9-10 card Spade fit, and we have a guaranteed 8+ minor suit fit, or possibly a double fit in the minors. If their fit is a 10 carder then we must have 9 or double fit.

We are up against it somewhat because they have the boss suit. We have to raise the level whenever we want to compete; they do not.

That said, there is only one sure conclusion: selling out to 2S is never going to win the board, and seldom break even. How high to push is a question up for grabs. Not pushing is not.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users