BBO Discussion Forums: Bid again after overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid again after overcall

Poll: Time to be bold? (24 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid on the second round?

1. Pass (17 votes [70.83%])

Percentage of vote: 70.83%

2. Double (7 votes [29.17%])

Percentage of vote: 29.17%

3. 3H (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. 3S (0 votes [0.00%])

5. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-21, 15:29

You are playing a Teams Match (in the first round of the Scottish Cup) against expert opponents playing 5 card Majors. You've overcalled 1 and now the opponents have reached 3. The 2 bid from South was natural and forcing for one round and 3 was also natural.

Do you bid again?

#2 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-21, 17:28

pass lets see vul vs not p did not raise hearts which means small fit at best with very weak hand or no fit. P could not x the 2d bid to show spades so they are too weak or don't have them. Lho is still unlimited. All signs point to further action = suicide so PASS.

#3 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 18:45

pass

non expert here but

I would have tried 2h the first round at this vul.

#4 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-21, 19:36

View Postdkham, on 2015-May-21, 15:29, said:

You are playing a Teams Match (in the first round of the Scottish Cup) against expert opponents playing 5 card Majors. You've overcalled 1 and now the opponents have reached 3. The 2 bid from South was natural and forcing for one round and 3 was also natural. Do you bid again?
IMO Double = 10, Pass = 9. Double is an overbid and you might have to apologize but if partner passes, you have some defensive tricks.

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 05:34

Pass, what else?
2H instead of 1H would have been my choice, but 1H is ok.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 05:52

I'd dbl.

I don't care that our side has much less points than they do, the ones they have in diamond suit won't take a trick in defense. If I am lucky I can find pd with 5-6 spades which makes my hand huge. We can reasonably play at 3 level if he has only 4. If he has 3 and stiff and nothing useful...I will suck it up and say sorry to pd.

We may not be as broke as it looks as well. Assume he bid 2 on 9-10 6 card and other one lifted with 4 card support and minimum.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   apollo1201 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 12:14

I wouldnt blame my p for Xing especially after deciding for 1H at first bid (otherwise bid 2/3H and shut up for the rest of the auction), but I would have bid differently. You can reasonably expect a few spades opposite or a H doubleton but too weak to X the 2D bid (6/7 hcp still possible if opps have 12/13 plus 9, I do bid 2D with Kxx xx AQXxxx xx). But you could be 800 on bad days (more often 500 which vs. 400 is not too horrible).

#8 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 13:05

I hate to pass with this hand shape, and the cards look to sit favourably for our side but with partner unable to act over 2D I think we're just outgunned. I'd need an extra high card to double .

#9 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 13:21

I really hate the 1 overcall. If I would have bid 2, I would have told my hand at once.

Now, for some reason I didn't want to bid at the two level at my previous turn. So now that I know that my partner doesn't have much of a fit for me (no raise, no double) I should bid at the three level?!?

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#10 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 03:47

Thanks for all the replies. PASS was the winner, with only a few tempted by double.

At the time I felt that East should have doubled on the second round, but I now think that West should have bid on the first round, as this was the full deal:

1 from North was a misbid playing a new system, but North-South the Diamond suit easily enough.
3 made with an overtrick, whereas East-West have a nice 4 or even 4.
At our table I was West and although we missed the major game we still gained IMPs. At the other table our North-South found the cold 3NT!

#11 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-25, 04:40

View Postdkham, on 2015-May-25, 03:47, said:

Thanks for all the replies. PASS was the winner, with only a few tempted by double.

At the time I felt that East should have doubled on the second round, but I now think that West should have bid on the first round, as this was the full deal:

I have to disagree

1-How is the pass winner? In order pass to be winner on this hand

a-NS have to miss 3 NT (which is very reasonable)
b-Other table EW have to miss their 4M game, vulnerable.
c-Teammates needs to bid 3 NT.

All of these 3 happened so pass became winner. Even then, doubling was much bigger winner.

2- Idk why N opened 1 but from E point of view, looking at the auction, not finding spade fit is possible but not that likely. N showed at least 4-4 or 4-5 minors, S did not start DBL instead of 2.

I agree with 1 overcall. I am extremely surprised with 2 suggestions previous round as well as comments that says our hand is weak. Even if one thought it was a weak hand, they bidding diamonds and raising made our hand improved imo. I am not saying this because we make 4. I am just saying if pd holds the worst hand possible with no fit, such as stiff and only 3 spades, then he will pass it out and I like our chances in defense if that is the case.
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#12 User is offline   ahydra 

• AQT92 AQ --- QJ6532
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 12:08

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-25, 04:40, said:

1-How is the pass winner? In order pass to be winner on this hand

I think he just meant that "pass" won the poll, not that it was necessarily the best call.

ahydra

#13 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 15:00

I think I would pass here, partner probably doesn't have a great hand. The risk is that we could have a huge fit (like on the actual hand), but I feel like in practise most of the time we don't and partner just has 4-6 diamonds (sometimes opener might raise on 3) and we have just fixed them. If we double and we catch partner with 4, then we have a pretty bad trump suit to put down in dummy and could be getting doubled. Sometimes we miss out, but I think doubling gets some random -200s and penalties more often than it gets us to a making partscore/game. I could believe that I was wrong on this one though, it's sad to pass with such shape.

I would have also bid 1 the first time round, facing an unpassed partner, we are just way too good to bid 2 IMO. It shuts us out of spades when partner has a good hand, and partner will misjudge our defensive capacity.

#14 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-25, 15:13

Yes I just meant PASS was the winner as it topped the poll.

Do people think West should have bid on the first round?

#15 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-25, 15:18

View Postdkham, on 2015-May-25, 15:13, said:

Yes I just meant PASS was the winner as it topped the poll.

Do people think West should have bid on the first round?

Ok ty.

About whether W should bid or not depends on who you ask I guess.

It shows a good lead since this auction usually ends up in 3 NT but colors are bad in case of misfit. Not sure whether I'd bid or not without the bias.

#16 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-26, 00:00

View Postdkham, on 2015-May-21, 15:29, said:

You are playing a Teams Match (in the first round of the Scottish Cup) against expert opponents playing 5 card Majors. You've overcalled 1 and now the opponents have reached 3. The 2 bid from South was natural and forcing for one round and 3 was also natural.

Do you bid again?

An obvious PASS Partner's silence is deafening,you've said your piece...it's time to go quietly and hope to put them down....
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#17 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-26, 09:11

I hate West's pass with a strong 5c spade suit and heart tolerance. A layout like this where you make game is pretty unlikely, but you can't afford to give up on the partscore. Even if we don't have a fit, a spade lead rates to be our best shot and will be very hard for partner to find if we don't bid.

#18 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-May-26, 09:37

View PostWesleyC, on 2015-May-26, 09:11, said:

I hate West's pass with a strong 5c spade suit and heart tolerance. A layout like this where you make game is pretty unlikely, but you can't afford to give up on the partscore. Even if we don't have a fit, a spade lead rates to be our best shot and will be very hard for partner to find if we don't bid.

I have to agree with you and would bid 2as PD shouldn't o/c 1vulnerable with total trash. This suit seems too good to hide in this auction.

#19 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-27, 15:37

FYI

Bidding 2 without bias by W hand in BW poll was % 15

Pass was % 46
DBL was % 38

http://bridgewinners...g-problem-8138/

#20 User is offline   dkham 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-28, 09:36

Very interesting, the results of the follow-up BridgeWinner poll about West's bid are nicely split between PASS, 2 and DOUBLE.

With my partner we play 2 as 10+, showing at least 5 spades and forcing, which isn't quite what you have but I'd still do it.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users