• You cannot reply to this topic

Points aren't everything

#21 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-22, 07:28

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-May-21, 17:33, said:

Bridge is not a game of "always get to the best making contract". It's a game of possibilities and probabilities. IMO, if you pass or open something other that 2 with that 28 point hand, you're psyching. I have no problem with psyching, but it doesn't seem likely to help here, unless your objective is to convince your opponents you're nuts. B-)

Bridge is not a game of "always get to the best making contract" Sorry,but I have to disagree I assume you have played MP Pairs(?)
Missing a slam when it's biddable is a disaster. The same applies to game contracts and part scores. Going 1 down in 3
non vul when the opps have a vul cold 4 is a total victory. Bidding a slam when only a game is possible is also terrible. You have to bear in mind that,in duplicate,your real opponents are not sitting at your table but those sitting in the same direction as you... The winners of MP tournaments are those who have achieved the best score possible on every board....
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

#22 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-22, 08:05

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-22, 07:28, said:

Bridge is not a game of "always get to the best making contract" Sorry,but I have to disagree I assume you have played MP Pairs(?)
Missing a slam when it's biddable is a disaster. The same applies to game contracts and part scores. Going 1 down in 3
non vul when the opps have a vul cold 4 is a total victory. Bidding a slam when only a game is possible is also terrible. You have to bear in mind that,in duplicate,your real opponents are not sitting at your table but those sitting in the same direction as you... The winners of MP tournaments are those who have achieved the best score possible on every board....

I am learning more from each post. This is very enlightening.

#23 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 15:26

What was it Skip Simon said? Something about "best result possible" vs. "best possible result"?
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#24 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 17:25

Yeah, but Skid Simon was playing rubber for money and defending against his CHO.

Having said that, even at MP pairs, "always get to the best making contract" is a chimaera; one head leads to "result merchant", another to "pajama bridge"; a third yet to acrimony when partner can't play to your bidding skills. "Get to the contract that will be at least average+, most of the time" seems reasonable - especially if you're a good enough card player to think you're 55+ playing the field contract after the field auction.

After all, even at MP pairs, getting to the best scoring contract is worth nothing if you have to be Helgemo to make it. Worse yet if your partner Mrs. Guggenheim has to be Helgemo to make it. You'll certainly always have field protection for the "obvious" contract, however.

[Edit: Felt wrong to me too. Oops, sorry sir.]
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#25 User is offline   kuhchung 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 17:27

Skid.
Videos of the worst bridge player ever playing bridge:
https://www.youtube....hungPlaysBridge

#26 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-22, 17:36

View Postkuhchung, on 2015-May-22, 17:27, said:

Skid.

Well, who knows, maybe "Skip Simon", whoever he is, said the same thing.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#27 User is offline   KurtGodel 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-23, 05:01

I think people are seriously underrating pass here. As well as being able to catch the opponents when they bid (everybody seems to bid so much these days), you also have the opportunity to get a great score when other people overbid. I can imagine those players who are trained to count points might think this is an above average hand and might end up in nonsense contracts like 3NT or even slams! I put this through K&R and it turns it out that it's only worth 12.65, the sterile 4333 shape and lack of tens makes this hand a clear pass. So called 'BBO experts' always seem to overvalue hands like these, you just have to be logical: we have eight tricks, partner rates to be broke, just pass and hope for the best.

#28 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-23, 12:43

View Postkuhchung, on 2015-May-22, 17:27, said:

Skid.

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-22, 17:36, said:

Well, who knows, maybe "Skip Simon", whoever he is, said the same thing.

:lol: :lol: "Skid" is right, I think. I must be getting senile. :P
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#29 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-23, 15:28

View Postblackshoe, on 2015-May-23, 12:43, said:

:lol: :lol: "Skid" is right, I think. I must be getting senile. :P

Another poster thought the same thing., so it must be an easy mistake to make.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#30 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-23, 15:32

I always thought it a shame that the inventors of Acol weren't Skid Marx and Jack Simon. :ph34r:

#31 User is offline   PhilG007 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Occasional chess player. Dominoes

Posted 2015-May-23, 23:06

View Postmycroft, on 2015-May-22, 17:25, said:

Yeah, but Skip Simon was playing rubber for money and defending against his CHO.

Having said that, even at MP pairs, "always get to the best making contract" is a chimaera; one head leads to "result merchant", another to "pajama bridge"; a third yet to acrimony when partner can't play to your bidding skills. "Get to the contract that will be at least average+, most of the time" seems reasonable - especially if you're a good enough card player to think you're 55+ playing the field contract after the field auction.

After all, even at MP pairs, getting to the best scoring contract is worth nothing if you have to be Helgemo to make it. Worse yet if your partner Mrs. Guggenheim has to be Helgemo to make it. You'll certainly always have field protection for the "obvious" contract, however.

Yes...or the 'Unlucky Expert' who runs into a diabolical trump break or 'Futile Willie' trying a quixotic attempt on the impossible(!) :)
"It is not enough to be a good player, you must also play well"
- Dr Tarrasch(1862-1934)German Chess Grandmaster

Bridge is a game where you have two opponents...and often three(!)

"Any palooka can take tricks with Aces and Kings; the true expert shows his prowess
by how he handles the two's and three's" - Mollo's Hideous Hog

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users