• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Overzealous Delayed Cue Bid

#1 User is offline   42krunner 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-20, 19:48

Instant Robodup MP's.

Going into the final hand, my streak of bad play was finally over! I was in first place!

And there comes GIB, with a horrible delayed cue bid, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! :angry: A bottom and 3rd place for me! :(

Link

Daniel

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-20, 20:38

View Post42krunner, on 2015-May-20, 19:48, said:

Instant Robodup MP's.

Going into the final hand, my streak of bad play was finally over! I was in first place!

And there comes GIB, with a horrible delayed cue bid, snatching defeat from the jaws of victory! :angry: A bottom and 3rd place for me! :(

Link

Daniel

If Gib had it's bid you might have a chance. promised 2+ has only 1. promised 9-11 hcp has 6 hcp.. promised 10-12 total points has 9 so close but Gib is counting 2 points for singleton in partner's suit so that doesn't hold up.

PROGRAMMERS: don't count points for shortness in partner's suit when no fit has been found.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-20, 23:39

Given the mismatch between the strength and spade lengths, comparing North's hand with its explanation, I wonder whether it even meant it as a cue bid or alternatively just a suggestion to play. Which would be a bug also, of course, but requiring a different fix than playing around with hand evaluation.

But even if (as I would hope) the cue is supposed to be a strong bid with tolerance for Spades, I don't see the necessity for it to be forcing to 3N. Forcing to 3S would be good enough for me. South's 2S carries an 8 point range, which really argues for split ranges for North to invite. These bids which unnecessarily force to 3N is a theme that crops up a lot in other situations.

South reopening with a double would have worked out well on this hand, but I sympathise.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#4 User is offline   olegru 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Play bridge, read bridge, discusse bridge.

Posted 2015-May-21, 07:48

Looks like this is recently introduced bug. On all other tables in the same instant tournament humans bid exactly the same, but Gib passed after 2.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users