BBO Discussion Forums: Are you switching to multi 2D overcall of 1N under GCC - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are you switching to multi 2D overcall of 1N under GCC

Poll: Are you switching to multi 2D overcall of 1N under GCC (19 member(s) have cast votes)

Are you switching to Multi 2D overcall of 1N

1. Yes, I am switching and was playing Cappelletti (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

2. Yes, I am switching and was playing something else (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

3. No, I am sticking with Cappelletti (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

4. No, I am sticking to what I use, not Cappelletti (5 votes [26.32%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 26.32%

5. I'm not in ACBLland, so doesn't affect me (8 votes [42.11%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 42.11%

6. Already playing Multi 2D (1 votes [5.26%] - View)

Percentage of vote: 5.26%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-20, 14:47

As of May 1, 2015 in ACBLland under the GCC you could overcall 1N with 2 showing a 1 suited hand with a major. If you were playing Cappelletti you would then use 2 to show both majors and bid 3/3 with a minor 1-suiter. 2/2 remains a 2-suiter with a side minor.

I was wondering if people were making the switch.

Also possible is to use double as a minor-major 2-suiter with a longer minor (Woolsey).
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 15:05

Just as an aside, here Multi Landy is very popular and Cappelletti almost unheard of.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   jeffford76 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-20, 15:41

A large swath of the West Coast allows any defense to 1NT, even in otherwise GCC events. So you might want a choice for "I was already playing this."

#4 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2015-May-20, 16:00

Vampyr, on 2015-May-20, 15:05, said:

Just as an aside, here Multi Landy is very popular and Cappelletti almost unheard of.

There's a reason for this as you know :)

#5 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 16:26

i'm sure no decent partnership was playing cappathingy anyway

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 22:39

Capp is ...... I still play it on BBO simply because it has been popular among online players since the OKB and I am scared to ask people to play something that they are not familiar with. Seems like everyone from novice to worldclass players know it and that is why I play it. I agree that it is a very bad convention if not one of the worst ever.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   sfi 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 23:50

The almost cult-like hatred of Cappelletti never ceases to amuse me. IMO it's a fine convention, and far better than swapping the meaning of 2C and 2D. Why? Whether or not you bid 2D to show equal length, much of the time the other side knows the complete major suit distribution the moment dummy hits. Even knowing dummy has equal length in the majors improves the opening lead.

I am certain I have gained far more over the years playing against "reverse Cappelletti", as it is called here, than lost by playing in the weaker major fit at the two level or by not being able to compete when we don't know where the suit is. It's not even close.

#8 User is online   paulg 

Posted 2015-May-21, 01:03

Vampyr, on 2015-May-20, 15:05, said:

Pottage is the more popular name of this defence in the UK. I believe it is more popular at clubs than tournaments.
The Beer Card

I don't work for BBO and any advice is based on my BBO experience over the decades

#9 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:33

paulg, on 2015-May-21, 01:03, said:

Pottage is the more popular name of this defence in the UK.

Is it? I have never heard it.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#10 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-21, 09:50

sfi, on 2015-May-20, 23:50, said:

The almost cult-like hatred of Cappelletti never ceases to amuse me. IMO it's a fine convention, and far better than swapping the meaning of 2C and 2D.

The problem with Capp isn't when you use it to show both majors. It's the use of 2Major to show a Major-minor 2-suiter, since that forces you to the 3 level if partner prefers a minor. And if your major is spades, 2 preempts partner from showing a 6-card heart suit.

These are why many players only use it over weak NT, you're not as concerned about getting too high.

#11 User is offline   blackshoe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 10:09

Most people I know think DONT is the best defense to strong NT, but then most people I know play Cappelletti over both weak and strong because 1) "everybody" plays Cappelletti and 2) they don't want to have to deal with different defenses to different NT ranges.

Jerry Helms (one of the four people who lay claim to having independently invented "Cappelletti", the other three being Cappelletti himself, Hamilton, and yes, Pottage) recognized early on that the convention has problems, and came up with "Helms II", which others call "modified Cappelletti". Basically, 2 is either diamonds or a major-minor two suiter, 2 is both majors, and 2M is natural. Later, he and a couple of his regular partners came up with "HELLO" (Helms-Lohman) where 2 is again diamonds or a major-minor, 2 is hearts, 2 is both majors, 2 is natural, 2NT is clubs, 3 is both minors, and 3 is both majors, forcing. Max Hardy thought HELLO is the best defense against 1NT strong or weak. I don't know about that - there are so many defenses. But it does seem an improvement over the basic convention.
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

#12 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-21, 10:27

Yeah, would not play Cappelletti or Multi-Landy over a strong NT.

#13 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2015-May-21, 10:57

You can play ml against weak and woolsey against strong. That is gcc compliant and reasinably easy to remember as it is only dbl that changes meaning
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#14 User is offline   RMB1 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:EBU/EBL TD
    Bridge, Cinema, Theatre, Food,
    [Walking - not so much]

Posted 2015-May-21, 11:08

paulg, on 2015-May-21, 01:03, said:

Pottage is the more popular name of this defence in the UK.

Vampyr, on 2015-May-21, 06:33, said:

Is it? I have never heard it.

Showing your age paulg :)
Robin

"Robin Barker is a mathematician. ... All highly skilled in their respective fields and clearly accomplished bridge players."

#15 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-May-21, 11:18

helene_t, on 2015-May-21, 10:57, said:

You can play ml against weak and woolsey against strong. That is gcc compliant and reasinably easy to remember as it is only dbl that changes meaning

I play X = /, / or , 2m=Mm, 2M natural over strong NT. I think this is something like Woolsey.

#16 User is offline   TylerE 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 11:47

HELLO is my preference if playing something complexish (It's actually a bit more complex than laid out above, there are sequences to show e.g strong two and one suiters)

If playing something simple I think Meckwell is strictly an improvement over DONT, and plain Landy is fine also.

#17 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-21, 12:00

Vampyr, on 2015-May-21, 11:18, said:

I play X = /, / or , 2m=Mm, 2M natural over strong NT. I think this is something like Woolsey.

X seems complicated but I guess you have it worked out :).

I would go X=majors, 2N=minors, 3m=1 suiter so my brain wouldn't cramp lol.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

#18 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-21, 13:55

blackshoe, on 2015-May-21, 10:09, said:

Most people I know think DONT is the best defense to strong NT, but then most people I know play Cappelletti over both weak and strong because 1) "everybody" plays Cappelletti and 2) they don't want to have to deal with different defenses to different NT ranges.

DONT's biggest advantage is its extreme simplicity. It's arguably the simplest defense that allows showing any 1- or 2-suiter, and furthermore allows playing in one of those suits on the 2 level. It has no two-way bids. I've always found it surprising that it wasn't one of the early NT defenses that were devised. Maybe it's because it took a while for players to give up on the penalty double.

These days I've switched to Meckwell.

#19 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-May-21, 14:03

I played (and play) DONT for mumblety years against a strong NT, and I'm switching.

1) many of my partners are chickens and chickens shouldn't play DONT. There are much better conventions to sanely compete for the partscore than DONT if 1100 at Matchpoints scares you. Because:
2) DONT is designed to get you to a safe contract, not a good one. If it's your hand, and you have a major fit, you will almost never find it and go +90 or +110 into +110 or +140 unless you have a lower-suit misfit - and any possible correction will not be worse. This costs a lot - especially at matchpoints. If you're only overcalling on the hands that the people playing the "good, but needs strength and length for safety" systems are, you get the worst of both worlds.
3) It's supposed to be disruptive, but:
  • when you have a single suit, almost always you double, and frequently never get to show it - so partner doesn't get to raise it. Almost always, if you would have "disturbed" their auction (i.e. it wasn't going to go 1NT-p-p if you didn't put your oar in), you're not going to get to show it.
  • when you have two suits, half the time you're bidding 2. Only one in six two-suited hands bids a major (see 2).
  • so unless you bid 2 (which isn't terribly comfortable, if you play it as the standard bad one-suiter spades rather than good), or the lucky three two-suiters, there's a trivial, non-disruptive, common-to-the-point-of-ubiquity, if not optimal defence: Ignore it (with XX as either cards or runout or never bid, your choice).

So where's the Disturbing?

Yes, you get in when others won't, and win when your contract beats 1NT-AP. Yes, you win when you bid 2, especially if others won't come in, or play their minor fit at the 3 level. Yes, 2 is magic, but every system worth noting has a call for both majors, so you're back against "either the other tables are passing in which case they have no major fit and we've warned them off a potential 3NT, or they're bidding their majors hand, and have better tools for finding the best contract than us."

I found myself saying "why don't I just keep my mouth shut and hope they misplay me for not actually having an overcall?" a lot; and that's catastrophic for DONT, too.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#20 User is offline   blackshoe 

Posted 2015-May-21, 17:26

TylerE, on 2015-May-21, 11:47, said:

HELLO is my preference if playing something complexish (It's actually a bit more complex than laid out above, there are sequences to show e.g strong two and one suiters)

I figured my post was long enough already. B-)
--------------------
As for tv, screw it. You aren't missing anything. -- Ken Berg
I have come to realise it is futile to expect or hope a regular club game will be run in accordance with the laws. -- Jillybean

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users