• You cannot reply to this topic

C'mon, droid

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-19, 13:13

My link

Matchpoints, ACBL robot individual

Note that South's 3 rebid still shows 17+, a requirement not standard to any version of 2/1 with which I am familiar. Note also that South has every bit of that, without considering shortness, yet North bids to an extremely low-percentage contract.

The problem here is that North continues to over-value shortness is partner's suits. One constantly hears about "simming." Is part of that not considering what it will do with its Jxxxx? Would not 4 over 3 have sufficed?

As a side note, those Souths who bid their hands in standard fashion, starting with 2, got a lead and ended up down 2 (or 3) trying to make the contract (AQ on side tight and friendly s I think will see you home). Those who bid a non-standard 2 first got the lead of Q and were down at trick 2, but West continued with a very friendly 10 and they ended up down only 1 for a great score. I'd be interested to know why bidding the same minor suits in reverse order triggers such a vastly different lead.

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-19, 15:13

View Postuva72uva72, on 2015-May-19, 13:13, said:

The problem here is that North continues to over-value shortness is partner's suits.

Why is any value at all given for shortness especially in partner's suit until a fit has been found? This could end up in NT.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 14:44

I think it is time for a direct question to BBO. JDonn, Uday or Georgi, please respond. Why DOES GIB require 17+ points for responder to rebid a second suit after a 2/1 call? Do you play this way with your partners? Can you cite a source for this systemic quirk? And even if you can, I strongly believe that after making a GF 2/1 bid, responder should be able to bid naturally below game without showing extras, and I am quite sure this is not a pet preference of mine, but completely mainstream.

That's part one. Then as Fred says, even with him holding full values for 3C as GIB is presently programmed, it grossly overbids. This is a more general issue that needs work.

#4 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-20, 16:15

View Postiandayre, on 2015-May-20, 14:44, said:

I think it is time for a direct question to BBO. JDonn, Uday or Georgi, please respond. Why DOES GIB require 17+ points for responder to rebid a second suit after a 2/1 call? Do you play this way with your partners? Can you cite a source for this systemic quirk? And even if you can, I strongly believe that after making a GF 2/1 bid, responder should be able to bid naturally below game without showing extras, and I am quite sure this is not a pet preference of mine, but completely mainstream.

That's part one. Then as Fred says, even with him holding full values for 3C as GIB is presently programmed, it grossly overbids. This is a more general issue that needs work.

Fred?

#5 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 14:24

View PostArtK78, on 2015-May-20, 16:15, said:

Fred?

Perhaps I'm misremembering. I looked at uva's profile when we were playing in the same tourney, and I thought that is his real name.

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2015-May-21, 14:32

View Postiandayre, on 2015-May-21, 14:24, said:

Perhaps I'm misremembering. I looked at uva's profile when we were playing in the same tourney, and I thought that is his real name.

I happen to know uva. His real name is not Fred. I leave it to him to reveal his real name if he chooses to do so.

#7 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-21, 14:44

Paul.

But I've certainly been called worse things than "Fred."

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users