• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

System hole = bug?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-18, 15:15

MP Instant.

Over the X of 2C I moused over the obvious options.

XX showed the values but fewer than 3 Clubs.

2H showed the values but said nothing about Clubs and was forcing to 3N.

3D showed fewer than 15 TP.

So what do I bid?
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   cloa513 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-18, 17:44

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-18, 15:15, said:

MP Instant.

Over the X of 2C I moused over the obvious options.

XX showed the values but fewer than 3 Clubs.

2H showed the values but said nothing about Clubs and was forcing to 3N.

3D showed fewer than 15 TP.

So what do I bid?

2H sounds good- your superb fit is surely direct at having one cover in hearts, a finesse in diamonds and a probably running 6 card clubs suit, if the cover in hearts isn't there then 5 clubs looks more likely.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-18, 22:54

We may disagree about whether this particular hand is worth driving to 3N+. Well, let's not beat about the bush, yes we do. I am prepared to accept that from the options available, 2H may be the best choice of a bad lot. But in a sense that is irrelevant.

I posit the possibility that South MIGHT have a hand with extra values with a club fit that does not have such confidence. It would be pleasant, system permitting, to show such a hand without committing beyond 3C opposite a disinterested partner.

I cannot think of any justification for 2H to be forcing to 3N+. It is of course forcing. If he really wants to GF he can bid again beyond 3C at his next turn. In a F2F game I would regard this as standard (cue = sound raise to 3C but forcing only to 3C unless either ventures higher).

Then whether 14/15 TP is the most appropriate cut-off point between a direct raise and a cue raise is perhaps another debatable point. Apart from anything else, with 3N the most likely game, perhaps some HCP limitation would be useful. But that argument has been made ad nauseam.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users