Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Invisi-bot

#1 User is offline   uva72uva72 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-18, 14:57

If you're like me, you dread it when North invokes lebensohl after your 1NT opening because it has a habit of dropping me at the 3 level in its Jxxxx suit, which just happens to be LHO's secondary minor.

So why, when North has a great suit (or suits) and and a respectable hand does it bail out of the auction prematurely? Two hands from a recent ACBL matchpoints individual session raise this issue:

My link

With a great 6 card suit and 7 "total points" opposite South's 1NT overcall, why is North selling out so cheaply? Who would choose to defend with these cards?

My link

Who would choose to defend 3 with North's cards, guaranteed an 8+ card fit? Paradoxically, the most successful action on this hand was to open 1(!) and rebid showing a balanced 12-14. North then drove the auction to the 4-level (in !), and ultimately collected 500 when West put its head on the block. This is another annoying instance where North bids more strongly when South shows a weaker hand.

#2 User is offline   iandayre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-19, 12:14

I have to agree in both cases. The H hand is an example of exactly why Lebensohl exists - to be able to show a weak but playable hand such as this.

As for the other hand, let's focus on the range shown for 2NT - 11 or less HCP, 12 or less total points. This range make no sense opposite a 15 to 17 1NT opening bid, since the higher end of the range belongs in game. Any yes I have promised to lay off BBO bashing, but this is a simple case of either a thoughtless blunder or lack of bridge knowledge by whoever established this range.

No hard feelings, how about a correction? Or does anyone disagree with my logic?

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users