Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Claim options

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-17, 12:44

Not a new suggestion but it has been a while without progress so time to repeat, I think.

With due regard to the phobia about screen clutter, I still think that we need an "invert/complement" button in the claim window.

Currently you click on claim, and a window pops up set by default as "claim all", with an option to reduce the number of tricks claimed, one at a time.

If an invert button was available you could click on that to swap between "claim all" and "concede all", or "Claim all but one" and "Concede all but one".

The reason that I think this is important is that with a significant frequency (at least at my table) the desired option is "concede all", but the process of setting the claim option to get to this state is really cumbersome, especially early in the play of the hand. You start with (by default) a "claim all" setting, and then click by click you can reduce this to zero tricks claimed. By which time Fidel Castro has long since passed away and his successor has negotiated the membership of Cuba into NATO.

And it is worse for those of us with touch-screen computers, where repeated tapping on the "reduce tricks claimed" button is treated as a double-click if done in rapid succession, so it does not reduce the claim count but instead maximises the window (or reverses it).

An alternative might be a grid showing the number of tricks to be claimed, containing all options shown on screen at once, and a single click on the desired claim is all that is required.

I don't really have a strong preference, but either would be a big improvement.

Screen clutter is not an issue. Once you click on claim the new popup window is the only subject of focus.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-18, 09:15

This is one way in which the mobile app improves on the interface. The claim amount is a menu, which you can scroll in either direction. Scroll one way and you reduce the number of tricks you're claiming, while the first choice in the other direction is conceding everything.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users