BBO Discussion Forums: Can you tell me what is a poker?what's the bridge? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you tell me what is a poker?what's the bridge?

#1 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-16, 22:52

This hand from " free weekly Instant Tournament ".

For example in this hand,if it goes:
1---2
2nt---4
4nt---5(1 key card)
6---p

Or it goes :
1---2
2nt---4
5---5
6---P

If I can make 6,people might say "great bid,VVWD".
If unfortunately I can't make it since my partner holds 5323 shape.I remerbered a few years ago that some people might say angrily " you are playing poker,this isn't the bridge.
English is not my mother tongue,I don't know the exact meanings,even I have played at bbo for many years.
Can you tell me what is a poker?what's the bridge?

#2 User is offline   dave251164 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-17, 02:59

Poker is the gambling card game which involves a lot of luck and bridge is just bridge.
'Playing poker not bridge' would be an expression which means that you took an action that wasn't sensible at bridge - you took an against the odds gamble like a gamble in poker and not based on sound bridge rules/principles. Then if it works out the implication is that you were just lucky with your gamble and if it goes horribly wrong then serve you right for gambling!

#3 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-17, 06:03

The auctions you give are super weird, but anyway far too many people judge the virtue of a bid or call based on the result. "Bridge" is an action that worked, "poker" is an action that didn't. No matter if it was a big percentage action and was very unlucky.

(Although bidding Blackwood with Jxx in an unbid suit deserves criticism whether it worked or not.)
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-17, 12:22

Poker also involves lots of bluffing. There's almost no card play in poker (none in some forms of the game), just wagering on whether you have a better hand than the other players. Usually you bet more if you have a better hand, but you can also try to get the other players to drop out by betting a lot with a poor hand -- if they all fold, you get their money. So if you make bids or plays in bridge (psychic bids and falsecards) that trick the opponents into giving you a good result, that might also be considered "playing poker instead of bridge".

This tends to be very effective against the robots, they generally believe you have what you've shown in the auction. That's one of the reasons people overbid so much in robot tourneys.

#5 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-17, 22:34

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-17, 06:03, said:

(Although bidding Blackwood with Jxx in an unbid suit deserves criticism whether it worked or not.)

Playing with GIB Robots (as in the example shown) it is often the least of evils.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#6 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-18, 03:57

When you are playing Bridge and someone claims you are playing Poker, he means you took a decision, he considers dubious or outright bad.
Bridge does have some similarities to Poker. For example bluffing in the bidding is part of the game even though there are many, who believe any hand should be bid "scientifically".

You usually get this type of comment from partners, when you took a risky decision that did not work and from opponents when it did.

Rainer Herrmann

#7 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-18, 07:01

What's funny is I don't think you can legitimately get the robot to bid 6 and you have losers and the robot refuses to bid second round controls so you can't bid 6 except as a gamble. However, if you splinter with 4 the robot will take over and put you in the inferior 6. Inferior because its an 8-card fit not 10-card and fittingly an opening lead provides a ruff. (but this unlikely to happen)
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#8 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-18, 10:49

View Postrhm, on 2015-May-18, 03:57, said:

Bridge does have some similarities to Poker. For example bluffing in the bidding is part of the game

Heh, Try telling that to some of the BBO tournament hosts.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users