• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Where are your points, North?

#1 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-16, 22:29

MP Instant.

I dropped a trick in the play. But, 4N? Previous version of GIB passed 3N on this sequence.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#2 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-16, 23:25

I think the main problem is incorrect explanations on 3nt.It is not caused by Gib N.

#3 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-17, 01:57

South had everything that was promised for the 3N bid, both in the explanation and in real life. The only thing in the explanation that appears odd is the possibility that South might hold as many as 4 Spades and still bid it.

The explanation for North's 4N, however, shows 16-17 HCP, which is reasonable.

The problem is that North does not have close to 16 HCP, even before discounting the singleton King.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#4 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-May-17, 07:09

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-17, 01:57, said:

South had everything that was promised for the 3N bid, both in the explanation and in real life. The only thing in the explanation that appears odd is the possibility that South might hold as many as 4 Spades and still bid it.

Not that 3 points counted for the spade void is particularly useful when playing 3NT...

#5 User is offline   lycier 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-17, 07:15

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-May-17, 07:09, said:

Not that 3 points counted for the spade void is particularly useful when playing 3NT...

Yes,I agree with you.
Facing up to voidness while playing notrump contract,TPs as a sort of evaluation is a very distorted description !

#6 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-17, 07:50

I stand corrected. I promised 17 TP for 3D but only held 16. At that point there was no indication that NT was in the frame. The description of 3N only repeated what had been promised earlier.

I still don't see that 4N is justified. It is not as if it is a minor deviation from description.

#7 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-May-17, 08:08

The whole combination of descriptions is hinky.

I don't see why 3 should upgrade the minimum strength, and I think there should be an upper limit on 3N.

If South has 17+ total points, North shouldn't need 16-17 to invite; he should just go to slam with that strength. The invitation should be made with a hand that wants South to accept with 19+, so it could be made with 14.

And, I wonder whether 4 would be a better slam invite than 4N, after North didn't directly raise 3.

#8 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-17, 08:45

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-May-17, 08:08, said:

The whole combination of descriptions is hinky.

I don't see why 3 should upgrade the minimum strength, and I think there should be an upper limit on 3N.

Agreed, 3 could just be looking for the best strain. Gib hasn't denied 4. Also, could have poor club stopper and hoping Gib can bid 3N so don't have to pick between 3N and 4.

Also, I don't see why total points is brought into the decision process, no fit has been found this should be mostly a HCP decision, besides how useful is the likely shortness anyways.

Sarcasm is a state of mind

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users