BBO Discussion Forums: monster hand after oppponents open - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +

monster hand after oppponents open

#21 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-21, 01:28

PhilG007 I think it is time for you to throw in the towel and just accept that you are out on a limb here.

I would be among the first to agree that novices generally suffer from a myth that with an opening hand you have to act over RHO's opener when much of the time an initial pass is indicated. This is not a good example.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#22 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-21, 02:12

View Postbillw55, on 2015-May-20, 07:28, said:

Posted Image

gotta give him credit for entertainment value though.

He is playing.
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#23 User is offline   manudude03 

• - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 05:57

I would love to hear his teammates when partner has Kxx Qxx Qxx xxxx and defended 1S for -80 or -110 with 6 of either red suit making.
Wayne Somerville

#24 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 05:58

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-21, 02:12, said:

He is playing.

No - pass is right. If partner has as much as:

xx
xxx
xx
xxxxxx

He should appreciate that 4 could well be on and so should balance with a double, preferably in a voice of thunder. B-)

#25 User is offline   mikeh 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2015-May-21, 06:18

View PostPhilKing, on 2015-May-21, 05:58, said:

No - pass is right. If partner has as much as:

xx
xxx
xx
xxxxxx

He should appreciate that 4 could well be on and so should balance with a double, preferably in a voice of thunder. B-)

No...no....no!!!

The voice of thunder is used for penalty doubles!

Unless one is playing upside down attitude signals, of course. Here, with your example hand, a quiet or even doubtful double is in order.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#26 User is online   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird

Posted 2015-May-21, 09:54

With bidding cards it's harder. You can drop a high preempt on the table with a good thud, but they don't make weighted red cards.
Standing on the chair still works, though.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#27 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-21, 10:26

I wish someone wd clear up the BS and spell out what x followed by a suit means, which that suit should be, the higher or the lower and why, and perhaps how the bidding can continue depending on what partner does next. It's all fun and games, but OP might want a real serious answer too. I realize that it's already been suggested to X and see what happens, but for a real beginner this doesn't mean much.

Edit: Oh sry, Artk78 already explained. I missed it in the fog :)

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-May-21, 10:28

#28 User is offline   PhilKing 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 12:46

View Postdiana_eva, on 2015-May-21, 10:26, said:

I wish someone wd clear up the BS and spell out what x followed by a suit means, which that suit should be, the higher or the lower and why, and perhaps how the bidding can continue depending on what partner does next. It's all fun and games, but OP might want a real serious answer too. I realize that it's already been suggested to X and see what happens, but for a real beginner this doesn't mean much.

Edit: Oh sry, Artk78 already explained. I missed it in the fog :)

FWIW, if I held this hand at rubber bridge (in a very strong game), I would bid 2. This still has the old-fashioned meaning - game values and a very distributional hand. We can't be certain game is on, but it has play opposite most zero counts.

#29 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-25, 05:23

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-19, 01:37, said:

How many players would have the courage to pass this hand? Yet that is exactly what you must do and trust to partner to take action in the balancing seat(as a good player would) Too many players tend to forget that bridge is a partnership game DON'T FORGET YOUR PARTNER!!!!! :angry:
Doubling for take out on this hand is idiotic as you have no tolerance for clubs. A 1NT overcall promises a double stop in which you don't have. You have 19 points and RHO has opened the bidding. If partner has a 'bust' which is highly likely,you still only have 19 points. It is not yet time to get excited..(!) :rolleyes:
Pass and hope that partner will keep the auction open.

Hmmm, Phil, I have been likened to you in other posts for my entertainment value, but I see where we are similar. We are both passionate about the game and want partner to have a say.

However, you should refrain from opening a 3 suited hand as 2 because you will need a lot of bidding space to describe your hand shape when looking for a fit with the guy across the table that you do sincerely care about.

Also, if opponents bid 1 spade, you must double since you have a powerhouse hand and a suit of sufficient length in the next round for a rebid. This is called a "power" double. You can not wait for your weaker partner to play your role with this monster hand. And pass is blasphemous.

#30 User is offline   Phil 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2017-April-25, 08:51

Pretty terrible thread to pull out of the dung heap Redspawn.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#31 User is offline   RedSpawn 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2017-April-25, 10:51

View PostPhil, on 2017-April-25, 08:51, said:

Pretty terrible thread to pull out of the dung heap Redspawn.

Agreed. But I wasn't looking for this one, really. I found it looking for something else about the artificial 2 club string that you responded to me on and the Bridgewinner poll for which I lost on a landslide. A variety of users were comparing me to PhilG and so this one seems to have some similarities especially with respect to the 2 angle.

• 2 Pages +

Fast Reply

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users