BBO Discussion Forums: Bid description bug - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Bid description bug

#1 User is offline   phoenix214 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge; Chess; Boardgames; Physics; Math; Problem solving; and anything that makes my brain thinking.

Posted 2015-May-16, 02:38

Noticed a few times playing today, that at some point i can see my partners descriptions of bids - it looked a like a really weird feature, which should not be there on purpose.

#2 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-16, 03:35

View Postphoenix214, on 2015-May-16, 02:38, said:

Noticed a few times playing today, that at some point i can see my partners descriptions of bids - it looked a like a really weird feature, which should not be there on purpose.

Were you using a FD CC ? Maybe your pd loaded one without telling you.

#3 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-16, 07:01

This happened to me in "Just Play Bridge" with GIB... I opened 1N, partner responded 2, and the explanation of 5+, etc. showed. I don't like this feature at all.

#4 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-16, 07:30

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-May-16, 07:01, said:

This happened to me in "Just Play Bridge" with GIB... I opened 1N, partner responded 2, and the explanation of 5+, etc. showed. I don't like this feature at all.

I can't tell whether you are joking or serious because there really is a small tweak to how GIB explanations are displayed to make some of them more visible. Not sure transfers are also part of this, but they might be.

#5 User is offline   Bbradley62 

Posted 2015-May-16, 07:33

Not a joke at all... The description of 2 as a transfer to spades is obviously accurate. However, descriptions of GIB's bids are usually only shown if I mouse over (or click on, I forget) the bid; this description was presented to me without my asking for it, like an announcement at a f2f table might be. I don't like it.

#6 User is offline   diana_eva 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-16, 07:38

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-May-16, 07:33, said:

Not a joke at all... The description of 2 as a transfer to spades is obviously accurate. However, descriptions of GIB's bids are usually only shown if I mouse over (or click on, I forget) the bid; this description was presented to me without my asking for it, like an announcement at a f2f table might be. I don't like it.

Yep that's the tweak. Some bid explanations will pop up like that without player mousing over, to make them more obvious. Most frustrations from playing gib are actually due to people not noticing the explanations. I don't know how those bids were selected, maybe a tech can give more info on that.

#7 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2015-May-17, 11:16

The change in directly alerting, or just highlighting (and click or hover mouse over the bid to read explanation) , was to bring it in line with announcements vs alerts.

Bids that should be announced, you see the meaning immediately.
Bids that should be alerted, you see the highlight, then you hover over it to read the explanation.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#8 User is offline   Rain 

Posted 2015-May-17, 11:20

phoenix214, Diana will try to replicate what you're saying to see if there is a bug. However, my first thought is you may have had a robot as a partner temporarily and didn't realize, hence you saw the explanation of robot's bid.

This happens when you play in the main bridge club tables and someone disconnects in the middle of the game. When that happens, BBO inserts a robot to finish out the hand fast, and then robot will disappear when hand finishes. So if at some point you are partnering the bot, you could see bid explanations.

The other possibility is that you're using a FD convention card, but that usually requires you to load it up so I think you'd have noticed.
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#9 User is offline   silvr bull 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-18, 00:46

View PostRain, on 2015-May-17, 11:20, said:

However, my first thought is you may have had a robot as a partner temporarily and didn't realize, hence you saw the explanation of robot's bid.

There was no robot at my table today, but I saw the text partner typed into his alert box several times. The bid was not highlighted so that I could see, but the text was open and visible. That is clearly a bug, and it should be fixed.

BTW, I have another issue with the alerts. When one of my opps is a robot, the bids made by the non-robot opp are alerted by the robot. Those alerts may be what the robot thinks the bids mean, but they are not necessarily what the human opp intended. so the alerts may well be wrong. Better for the robot to alert only its own bids, and not give false information about the human's bids.

#10 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-18, 01:36

View PostRain, on 2015-May-17, 11:16, said:

The change in directly alerting, or just highlighting (and click or hover mouse over the bid to read explanation) , was to bring it in line with announcements vs alerts.

Bids that should be announced, you see the meaning immediately.
Bids that should be alerted, you see the highlight, then you hover over it to read the explanation.
How does the server know which jurisdiction (and resulting alerting/announcing rules) to apply? IP address may give a geographic location of the player, I suppose.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#11 User is offline   the_clown 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-18, 05:13

I was having the same problem the other day, I could see my partners alert. Both in some team match and a simple table at the main bridge club (no robots). I could attach a screenshot to my post, but couldnt figure out how.

#12 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-18, 09:05

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-18, 01:36, said:

How does the server know which jurisdiction (and resulting alerting/announcing rules) to apply? IP address may give a geographic location of the player, I suppose.

All the robot tournaments are played according to ACBL regulations.

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-May-18, 09:08

View Postsilvr bull, on 2015-May-18, 00:46, said:

BTW, I have another issue with the alerts. When one of my opps is a robot, the bids made by the non-robot opp are alerted by the robot. Those alerts may be what the robot thinks the bids mean, but they are not necessarily what the human opp intended. so the alerts may well be wrong. Better for the robot to alert only its own bids, and not give false information about the human's bids.

The robots can only play the GIB convention card. The human's bids are assumed to be according to those conventions, since that's how the robot understands them. If he deviates, it's either a misbid or a psychic, depending on whether he did it intentionally.

#14 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-May-18, 09:37

The explation problem in human games is a bug. We've replicated it and are working on a fix.

#15 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-May-19, 08:59

This problem should be fixed now. If you still see your partner's explanations, clear your browser cache so the updated client will be loaded.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users