• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-14, 15:23

imps

#2 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-14, 15:40

I pass. maybe opp can make 5 or 3N, good luck to them. I and my partners have been known to bid 3 on 6 cards so see no point in raising the pre-empt.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#3 User is offline   gszes 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-14, 16:45

p had a 2 dia bid available so we have every reason to suspect a tad more offense than 2d. That means we generally rate to go down no more than 300
if we are x in 4d. That simple raise takes 3n out of the picture and has an even better side effect. Passing 3d might allow the opps to safely explore for a major fit with a safe landing spot in 4c. Taking that space away from them might encourage them to gamble a bit more hoping to find a major suit fit that we actually would like to see them play (vs nt or clubs anyway).

4d

Since we are a passed hand p may have taken more liberties than usual but having that 2d bid available means 3d should not be totally wreckless after all NOT vulnerable does not mean Invulnerable.

#4 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-14, 16:50

3D is wide ranging? I guess that means partner doesn't want me to know how many Diamonds or what strength he has. It seems to further mean that North didn't publish this thread; because he doesn't want me to know or care what to do when he bids 3D.

Without the title here, 4D would be my obvious choice. My partner has the number of cards in the suit (7) and expects a raise if I have a raise -- she doesn't create 3 opponents out of two.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-14, 20:05

View Postwank, on 2015-May-14, 15:23, said:

imps
3 is wide-ranging.
IMO 4 = 10, 4 = 9, Pass = 8, 5 = 7, 3 = 6, 3N = 5. As a passed hand, you are worth a game-try, in case partner is top-weight for her "wide-ranging" bid,

#6 User is offline   WesleyC 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-15, 01:11

This is a WTP pass for me, but my partners probably preempt more aggressively than most. For example, a 0364 hand with decent diamonds would be an automatic 3D at these colours.

Given how stacked our hand is in the majors, there's a good chance West won't have a convenient way to reopen, so 3D will win the auction. If you moved a high card into diamonds I would raise to 4D.

#7 User is offline   Jinksy 

• Experimental biddicist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 12:22

'Wide ranging' maybe isn't well enough defined. Opposite what that means when my partners use it in this position, pass in sleep.
The "4 is a transfer to 4" award goes to Jinksy - PhilKing

#8 User is offline   eagles123 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Crystal Palace

Posted 2015-May-19, 12:26

i think we can easily have game on quite a lot of the time but meh I probably just pass
"definitely that's what I like to play when I'm playing standard - I want to be able to bid diamonds because bidding good suits is important in bridge" - Meckstroth's opinion on weak 2 diamond

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-19, 17:03

Wide-ranging? Say AKQJxxx and out? Now the opening heart lead into 5x means you're off two hearts and a club and hopefully not too many spades. Or one heart and more spades. Sure partner could have a stiff spade, the Q and AK-to-7, maybe even AK-to-6 in trump, or maybe even a 13, 14 count that magically hits the no-trump-losers and one-major solid, one short; she might even have the A; but that's your parlay. It's a pretty big parlay.

Wide-ranging? Opposite a passed hand, I'd expect that kind of "If there's game, it's magic" hand as often as I expect "J9-seventh and a random card or two". And I certainly expect everything in between.

I think I might raise to kill 3NT (oops if partner has AK-to-7, I guess); if I do I may do it the strong way (because I do have a good hand for a passed hand), but I'm likely letting my partner do the work here.
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   wank 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-20, 20:34

i think you should try 3h as a fnj. you can easily have 5d on here. oppsosite a singleton spade and moderate club length your hand can be 4 tricks and your diamond length could well be enough to make partner's suit run. if you're going down in 4d there's a good chance opps were making something.

#11 User is offline   alok c 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-20, 21:38

After this WIDE RANGING headlines any bid of south is a gamble.

#12 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 03:41

3S

This showes a fit, and may locate a 53 spade fit,
and it showes some live.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

Page 1 of 1