• Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Cheating on BBO

#1 User is offline   antepa 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2015-May-14, 03:26

Occasionally , a number of usernames are banned from various tournaments as 'cheaters'. As a TD, I have received a number of complaints that some players use two computers and log in to the BBO with two usernames, making false "pairs", some may even chat using a chat system or by phone. Apart from obvious cases, where bids/play are incredibly perfect, how can this be prevented? Are you familiar with such cases ?

#2 User is offline   Vampyr 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-14, 04:19

I think that prevention must be incredibly difficult, since evidence of cheating can be collected only after the fact.

You have to wonder about the motivation of the cheats; what is at stake? I imagine that prizes are very small, if there even are prizes. They must be pretty pathetic people.
I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

#3 User is offline   antepa 

• Pip

Posted 2015-May-14, 04:32

View PostVampyr, on 2015-May-14, 04:19, said:

I think that prevention must be incredibly difficult, since evidence of cheating can be collected only after the fact.

You have to wonder about the motivation of the cheats; what is at stake? I imagine that prizes are very small, if there even are prizes. They must be pretty pathetic people.

I totally agree with you :)

#4 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-14, 08:54

It's probably just an ego trip by very insecure people. Or immature people who just see a way to take advantage of a system and feel the need to exploit it.

There's nothing we can do to prevent it. We're not going to block partners from the same IP, because there are many honest players who need to do this (e.g. husband/wife playing from the same home, but not cheating), and it would be unfair to them.

Report suspected cheaters to abuse@bridgebase.com, and we'll investigate. That's the best we can do.

#5 User is offline   nige1 

• 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2015-May-14, 14:03

A simple automated system to provide "early-warning" for certain kinds of cheating is based on a "cheating database" of deals where inferior bidding or play gains. e,g,
  • Bidding lucky games/slams on inadequate values, making on a lucky lie of the cards.
  • Staying out of games/slams on substantial values, that are doomed by bad breaks.
  • "Kibitzer-make" deals where you succeed only if you drop honours off-side.
  • Defensive hands that require an unlikely lead to defeat the contract.
BBO cheat-detection software could search computer-generated deals for such anomalies (and might even introduce the occasional especially constructed deal). Then the software could filter-off and monitor these unusual deals, noting a player, whenever he seems to buck the odds successfully.

Over time, the software would highlight any player with a consistent history of relative success on such deals, Such a player might be worth human investigation. BBO officials could also check past and current records from the "cheating-database" for those suspected of cheating by other players.

#6 User is offline   GrahamJson 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-15, 00:30

I'm afraid that I have come across one blatant cheater who clearly kibitzes himself playing.

Reasons why I believe he is cheating include;

Frequent "inspired" leads. Yesterday, for example, against a 1NT - 3NT auction, holding Kxxxx Q10xx xxx 10 he led the C10, finding partner with QJ9x. Interestingly such leads never work out badly.

Never missing a making slam. Twice I have seen him bid six, despite two aces missing, then partner turns up with an undisclosed void. On one occasion he actually used RKKB so knew two aces were missing, the other time he bid 4NT then quickly had an undo then bid 6 direct.

Never taking a losing finesse, unless it can't be avoided. The most blatant example of this is once leaping to 7S, a contract that needed a finesse (onside, of course) and bringing in a trump suit of AKJxx opposite 10xx. This he did (with no clues from bidding or play) by dropping the Qx offside.

I could go on with many examples. What makes it worse is that he is often calling other players "novices" when they make mistakes. Also, when set for a very poor score he boots others off his table, forcing a redeal. Or even worse, accusing oppo of cheating and then throwing them off.

Interestingly this particular person has played in two tournaments in which kibitzing is not allowed. He came 56th out of 56 in one and scored 44% in the other.

I have complained to BBO about him in the past, but clearly no action was taken. He frequently appears on "interesting tables" holding court and accepting praise from other players.

Incidentally, this guy is well known amongst at least some kibitzers as a 2PC man. I think some, like me, watch him out of amusement (sad, I know) curious to see how blatant he dares to be.

What can be done?

#7 User is offline   beschuit 

• Pip

Posted 2015-May-15, 00:40

check their ip-adress

#8 User is offline   fourdad 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, Football, Coaching, Family, Writing

Posted 2015-May-15, 04:32

They likely cheat themselves in the game of LIFE as well!
They are to be pitied.

#9 User is offline   mycroft 

• Secretary Bird
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-15, 10:25

What can be done? Send an email with suggestive hands and the kibitzer list to abuse@bridgebase.com. Amazingly they do things about this sort of thing. They also don't talk much about it, because BBO is a business and there are many many reasons not to (and one of the biggest is "we choose not to. If you don't like it go somewhere else or start your own site.")
When I go to sea, don't fear for me, Fear For The Storm -- Birdie and the Swansong (tSCoSI)

#10 User is offline   antepa 

• Pip

Posted 2015-May-16, 02:17

View Postbarmar, on 2015-May-14, 08:54, said:

It's probably just an ego trip by very insecure people. Or immature people who just see a way to take advantage of a system and feel the need to exploit it.

There's nothing we can do to prevent it. We're not going to block partners from the same IP, because there are many honest players who need to do this (e.g. husband/wife playing from the same home, but not cheating), and it would be unfair to them.

Report suspected cheaters to abuse@bridgebase.com, and we'll investigate. That's the best we can do.

thanks

#11 User is offline   antepa 

• Pip

Posted 2015-May-16, 02:23

View Postnige1, on 2015-May-14, 14:03, said:

A simple automated system to provide "early-warning" for certain kinds of cheating is based on a "cheating database" of deals where inferior bidding of play gains. e,g,
  • Bidding lucky games/slams on inadequate values, making on a lucky lie of the cards.
  • Staying out of games/slams on substantial values, that are doomed by bad breaks.
  • "Kibitzer-make" deals where you succeed only if you drop honours off-side.
  • Defensive hands that require an unlikely lead to defeat the contract.
BBO cheat-detection software could search computer-generated deals for such anomalies (and might even introduce the occasional especially constructed deal). Then the software could filter-off and monitor these unusual deals, noting a player, whenever he seems to buck the odds successfully.

Over time, the software would highlight any player with a consistent history of relative success on such deals, Such a player might be worth human investigation. BBO officials could also check past and current records from the "cheating-database" for those suspected of cheating by other players.

That could work :)

#12 User is offline   steve2005 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge duh!

Posted 2015-May-18, 06:53

Cheating in the main room why? I'm not questioning that it happens I just don't see the point.
Sarcasm is a state of mind

#13 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-May-18, 09:27

Plain and simple: Because they can.

#14 User is offline   movingon 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-14, 12:17

More concerning is cheating in ACBL tournaments.
I have on file about 15 hands bid and played by one person with two partners that I believe clearly indicate cheating. {removed}

I have only been checking hands for a couple of weeks now, have sent them in and am hoping that I will soon see that this person and his partner are no longer here.

We shall see.

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-August-16, 09:56

#15 User is offline   Bbradley62 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-14, 18:22

View Postmovingon, on 2015-July-14, 12:17, said:

This person has {many} ACBL points on BBO...

This seems odd... how can you possibly know this?

#16 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-15, 02:03

View Postantepa, on 2015-May-14, 03:26, said:

Occasionally , a number of usernames are banned from various tournaments as 'cheaters'. As a TD, I have received a number of complaints that some players use two computers and log in to the BBO with two usernames, making false "pairs", some may even chat using a chat system or by phone. Apart from obvious cases, where bids/play are incredibly perfect, how can this be prevented? Are you familiar with such cases ?

How do you know for sure the person is using 2 Computers?

#17 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-July-15, 02:07

View Postbeschuit, on 2015-May-15, 00:40, said:

check their ip-adress

Even it you knew the IP-Adresses, this would be no evidence as many providers use proxies and people who don't even know each other could get the same IP.

#18 User is offline   Zelandakh 

Posted 2015-July-15, 07:19

View PosthotShot, on 2015-July-15, 02:07, said:

Even it you knew the IP-Adresses, this would be no evidence as many providers use proxies and people who don't even know each other could get the same IP.

Not to mention users playing legitimately from the same physical location.
(-: Zel :-)

Happy New Year everyone!

#19 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-July-15, 09:02

View PostBbradley62, on 2015-July-14, 18:22, said:

This seems odd... how can you possibly know this?

Go to http://www.bridgebase.com/points and enter their username.

#20 User is offline   Vampyr 

Posted 2015-July-15, 09:06

View Postmovingon, on 2015-July-14, 12:17, said:

More concerning is cheating in ACBL tournaments.
I have on file about 15 hands bid and played by one person with two partners that I believe clearly indicate cheating. {removed}

I have only been checking hands for a couple of weeks now, have sent them in and am hoping that I will soon see that this person and his partner are no longer here.

We shall see.

Are ACBL points won on BBO counted as regular ACBL points?

This post has been edited by diana_eva: 2015-August-16, 09:56

I know not with what weapons World War III will be fought, but World War IV will be fought with sticks and stones -- Albert Einstein

• 4 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users