Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Sometimes GIB gives up

#1 User is offline   runewell 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-13, 20:53

My ACBL IMP game is going ho-hum until the last round when GIB opens 1 and I have:

AKQTxx
J9
AQx
Qx

I make a jump shift and eventually gamble that 7 will come home. Dummy comes down with:

Jx
AKTxxx
Jxx
Ax

AKQTxx
J9
AQx
Qx

GIB makes the lead I expected: a club. I win the ace, play a spade to my hand and lead the jack of hearts to the ace, getting the 2 on my left and the 7 on my right.
Then on the run of the spades LHO tosses the six and eight of hearts, leaving me with no choice but to win 16 IMPs and launch into 1st place (the game hasn't quite finished yet). It was Qx on my right.

LHO did have the K to guard but would be a more effective opponent if GIB recognized that pitching hearts is wrong.

#2 User is offline   johnu 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-14, 19:58

Another silly result from blind following of double dummy analysis. If partner has 3 hearts to the queen, throwing hearts makes no difference. If partner has Qx, declarer is assumed to guess right and drop the queen offside so throwing hearts makes no difference. Obviously, the hand is not being played double dummy, so throwing hearts can make a difference.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users