BBO Discussion Forums: Can you help the director out here? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Can you help the director out here? EBU

#81 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-20, 12:41

A better analogy might be what should happen if you turned in an exam or assignment, but then the professor's (or TA's, more likely) dog ate the homework (to borrow from the proverbial excuse) before he had a chance to grade it. Should you have to redo it because of the professor's error?

If this were an important test on the way to becoming a doctor or pilot, perhaps -- we need to err on the side of safety. But if it's a prerequisite for an art degree, give him the equivalent of a "not played", by not including it when averaging all his results for his final grade.

#82 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-20, 14:38

View PostVixTD, on 2015-May-20, 12:10, said:

I recall years ago a student was unable to take a particular module which he needed for the degree he'd started because of an accident that put him out of action for several months. By the time he was well enough to have another go the course had changed and the module no longer existed. The powers that be wanted to just give him the academic credit for the work he was unable to do. I wanted us to construct some sort of personalised work plan that the student would have to carry out (a research dissertation or something) that would as far as possible meet the learning outcomes, so that we weren't giving away degrees that other students have to work for. (I lost.)

Doesn't the fact that you "lost" this particular case show that in universities these "benefit of doubt cases" do occur? You may not like them or you may be against them, but I find it a little strange that you first maintain that these things absolutely don't happen and then you yourself present an example where it did happen!

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

#83 User is offline   VixTD 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 07:07

View PostTrinidad, on 2015-May-20, 14:38, said:

Doesn't the fact that you "lost" this particular case show that in universities these "benefit of doubt cases" do occur? You may not like them or you may be against them, but I find it a little strange that you first maintain that these things absolutely don't happen and then you yourself present an example where it did happen!Rik

I didn't ever say it doesn't happen, only that it shouldn't.

#84 User is offline   Trinidad 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-21, 23:28

View PostVixTD, on 2015-May-21, 07:07, said:

I didn't ever say it doesn't happen, only that it shouldn't.

You are correct about that and I misunderstood.

All that is left is that we have a difference of opinion on whether this is a good or a bad practice. I guess we can live with that.

Rik
I want my opponents to leave my table with a smile on their face and without matchpoints on their score card - in that order.
The most exciting phrase to hear in science, the one that heralds the new discoveries, is not “Eureka!” (I found it!), but “That’s funny…” – Isaac Asimov
The only reason God did not put "Thou shalt mind thine own business" in the Ten Commandments was that He thought that it was too obvious to need stating. - Kenberg

• 5 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users