• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Tough Defence

#1 User is offline   lamford 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-11, 09:56

This was a key hand from the fine win by Hinden-Osborne, Cooke-Allerton in the Spring Fours final. Apologies if you have seen it before, and your comments will still be welcome. You elect not to overcall 1S, and the opponents are soon in 3NT. You lead the ace of spades, partner playing the 8, reverse attitude in theory, and declarer plays the jack. Over to you.
I prefer to give the lawmakers credit for stating things for a reason - barmar

#2 User is offline   billw55 

• enigmatic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-11, 11:25

Auction seems to indicate that declarer has 7-8 cashing clubs. I don't want to give him his remaining trick(s) too easily, so I will exit a club and make him do his own work. Specifically, the T in case partner has Jxxx.

Admit I would overcall 1 100%. Although in this case it might go p-p-double-p-p-trouble.
Life is long and beautiful, if bad things happen, good things will follow.
-gwnn

#3 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-11, 12:25

I will cash K of to see whether pd's 8 ws stiff or from doubleton. If from doubleton, 8 should not be about spades, seeing dummy. (Although I am not very strong on that, in this auction it is normal to lead A from Ax(x). Then I will play small trying to find pd with KJx(x) or Jxxx + A. Watching the discard by declarer carefully on 2nd

Hoping to find declarer with either of

J
Qxx
KJ(x)
AKQJ9x(x)

J
KQx
KJx
AKQJ9xx

On first one club exit seems to work as well. On 2nd hand I think we need to play small at T3
"Genius has its own limitations, however stupidity has no such boundaries!"
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#4 User is offline   wanoff 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2015-May-11, 16:29

Will also take the K and if partner follows I would say he prefers hearts to diamonds.
That's not to say he doesn't have a diamond card though, so I'd go passive with the 10.
If however he discards, and either discourages diamonds or encourages hearts, I will underlead the heart. Otherwise a club.

Expecting to find declarer with

J(x) Kx(x) Ax AKQJxxx or similar

#5 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2015-May-11, 20:07

8 should not be about spades, seeing dummy. (Although I am not very strong on that, in this auction it is normal to lead A from Ax(x)

IMO its clear enough that the 8 is SP or a stiff.

Both you and your partner have a quasi count of the S here. Declarer is going to have 2S under 20% imo. So partner would need to be asleep to not give a Sp here.

If declarer make the standard encourage in H falsecard and the contract is not cold its because partner got enough in D to stop dummy from getting in so i dont think there is any risk to cash the 2nd S.
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#6 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-11, 20:21

View Postwanoff, on 2015-May-11, 16:29, said:

Expecting to find declarer with

J(x) Kx(x) Ax AKQJxxx or similar

This assumes partner preferred hearts to diamonds with /KJxx and QJxx . Why would he do that? It is wrong when E has A. It is wrong when E has A. It is even wrong when E has K because then declarer will have 9 tricks. (unless E also holds A, then which makes pref work as well)
"It's only when a mosquito lands on your testicles that you realize there is always a way to solve problems without using violence!"

"Well to be perfectly honest, in my humble opinion, of course without offending anyone who thinks differently from my point of view, but also by looking into this matter in a different perspective and without being condemning of one's view's and by trying to make it objectified, and by considering each and every one's valid opinion, I honestly believe that I completely forgot what I was going to say."

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-12, 01:46

Paul, can you tell us what happens when we cash the second spade?
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#8 User is offline   rhm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-12, 03:08

I do not really see anything but a low heart.
Declarer's clubs need not be solid, in fact I consider that unlikely.
Partner could have Qxx, in which case a club switch would be deadly for the defense.
It is also not clear why declarer could not have AKx, in which case cashing the second spade would also be deadly if partner has the queen of clubs.
A low heart is only an issue, if declarer has precisely eight solid tricks in the minors and needs that we break the hearts.
I bet against the last condition.
To beat this contract partner needs to get in and we need very likely two heart tricks.
But playing partner specifically for an entry in diamonds plus heart queen and jack and declarer for 8 solid minor suit tricks is possible but remote.
Even if partner has a diamond entry we might need to develop a second heart trick before declarer gets a diamond trick, declarer having KJx or KQx.
How is partner supposed to know with the diamond ace (or KJ) and either the heart queen or jack (but not both) to signal hearts?
From his perspective even if he has the diamond ace and the heart queen and jack, a heart switch could be right if we had the king and declarer the heart ace.

Rainer Herrmannto

#9 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-May-12, 03:35

View Postgnasher, on 2015-May-12, 01:46, said:

Paul, can you tell us what happens when we cash the second spade?

If you cash the second spade, partner will follow and declarer will discard a small club. The danger of cashing the second spade is that declarer may have AKx, and I think you expect declarer to have a stiff J in spades anyway for the traditional meaning of 3NT showing short spades.

So far, I am convinced by Rainer's arguments, which appear to cater for most layouts. I think partner's spade card should distinguish as best he can between his red holdings.

#10 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-12, 05:23

View Postlamford, on 2015-May-12, 03:35, said:

If you cash the second spade, partner will follow and declarer will discard a small club. The danger of cashing the second spade is that declarer may have AKx, and I think you expect declarer to have a stiff J in spades anyway for the traditional meaning of 3NT showing short spades.

So far, I am convinced by Rainer's arguments, which appear to cater for most layouts. I think partner's spade card should distinguish as best he can between his red holdings.

Obviously those of us who played 2nd assumed the clubs to be solid. A problem that could be easily solved at the table by simply asking opponents. What is their suit requirement for this bid. Solid? Semi solid? no suit requirement at all and just showing a 6+ clubs and more than 3 values?

Say declarer has Jx KJ Ax AKQJxxx, would have defeated.

#11 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-May-12, 06:57

View PostMrAce, on 2015-May-12, 05:23, said:

Obviously those of us who played 2nd assumed the clubs to be solid. A problem that could be easily solved at the table by simply asking opponents. What is their suit requirement for this bid. Solid? Semi solid? no suit requirement at all and just showing a 6+ clubs and more than 3 values?

Say declarer has Jx KJ Ax AKQJxxx, would have defeated.

I think if you asked you would be told, "To play, with short spades and good clubs; no other specific agreement."

#12 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-12, 08:29

If declarer has:

J KJx AK AKJxxxx we can do anything except switch to clubs (declarer will get the eventual heart guess right)

J KJx AK AKQxxxx simplest is to cash a spade, squeezing him. Or we can switch to 10.

J KQJ AJ AKQxxxx we can lead anything except for a small spade or 10 (which we need as a squeeze menace in some lines)

J KQx AJx AKJxxx we have to switch to a club or 10

J KQx AKx KQJ8xx a diamond, 7, or 10 are ok.

J KQx AKx KQJ9xx we have to switch to 7

If partner has given suit preference here, you can rule out the third and fourth holdings.

#13 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2015-May-12, 14:01

I'd expect declarer to get any eventual heart guess wrong, because he would think that AK9xx Axx would have overcalled...

#14 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-12, 15:16

I found the original hand in vugraph archives now.
Apparently I was wrong to assume declarer has solid clubs.

Regardless, this is a very good problem imo.

#15 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-12, 20:09

"The danger of cashing the second spade is that declarer may have ♦AKx"

he made 5D+1H+2S+1C ? basically if the D run and the clubs are AKQ or KQJ cashing the S change nothing.

So its only when opener got AQ or AK in clubs just one stopper in H and AKx of D and only 1S. Not that a big target imo.

If i knew my opps will always have a stiff in S than i wouldnt cash my 2nd spades otherwise cashing look safe enough. I expect partner to have the little spade and ill switch low H and hope for the best. I like my odds.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."

#16 User is offline   MrAce 

• VIP Member

Posted 2015-May-12, 20:39

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-May-12, 20:09, said:

he made 5D+1H+2S+1C ? basically if the D run and the clubs are AKQ or KQJ cashing the S change nothing.

So its only when opener got AQ or AK in clubs just one stopper in H and AKx of D and only 1S. Not that a big target imo.

If i knew my opps will always have a stiff in S than i wouldnt cash my 2nd spades otherwise cashing look safe enough. I expect partner to have the little spade and ill switch low H and hope for the best. I like my odds.

You are wrong.
Assume declarer has KQJ , and KQ .
He runs 5 diamonds and you are in bad position Posted Image

Last 5 cards u will need to hold 3 spades + A + x then he will play a and knock your A (remember J knocked his Q at T3)
If you try to hold Ax + 3 spades, he can simply end play you.

#17 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-12, 22:00

Good catch.

#18 User is offline   lamford 

Posted 2015-May-13, 05:13

View Postbenlessard, on 2015-May-12, 20:09, said:

On the actual layout, which was J KQx AKx KQJ8xx for declarer, cashing the second spade is not fatal, provided you continue with a low heart, but it would be if you change declarer's clubs to AQJxxx. I think Aardv produces a good analysis, and Rainer is right that a low heart is best. Change the clubs to KQJ9xx and a low heart still works, but a passive diamond now fails. There is no way, apart from peeking, of telling how solid declarer's clubs are. The declarer, Jon Cooke, is also a professional poker player, and could have a range of hands for his action, and second guessing him is a bad idea!

#19 User is offline   Aardv 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-13, 06:09

View PostFrancesHinden, on 2015-May-12, 14:01, said:

I'd expect declarer to get any eventual heart guess wrong, because he would think that AK9xx Axx would have overcalled...

Three reasons why I think he would get it right after a club switch with the hand I was talking about - J KJx AK AKJxxxx
i) It's inconceivable that you (I mean the defender) wouldn't switch to a heart from Qxx, beating him trivially.
ii) Declarer will cash his five minor suit winners, then exit with a club, and partner will give him the heart guess. Declarer won't know about your fifth spade.
iii) At the end of the previous hand, your partner (I am told) had remonstrated vigorously with you, which might explain any apparent reticence on your part in the bidding of this one.

View Postlamford, on 2015-May-13, 05:13, said:

On the actual layout, which was J KQx AKx KQJ8xx for declarer, cashing the second spade is not fatal, provided you continue with a low heart,...

I'm not sure about that: declarer would have every reason to suspect that he'd be swiftly one off if he played a club, so he'd run the diamonds instead, and your hand would be squashed - you have to keep all your spades, so either bare the ace of hearts or throw both clubs. Declarer makes if he guesses which.

#20 User is offline   benlessard 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2015-May-13, 09:40

Declarer makes if he guesses which

When you discard the T of H it wont be too tough I think.

actual layout, which was ♠J ♥KQx ♦AKx ♣KQJ8xx

Can we have a link ? What happened other than the strip squeeeze ?

i cant really see east swtiching D or playing the Ace or T of H here and declarer should be able to see the endplay rather than trying to sneak a club.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users