• You cannot reply to this topic

Is my opinion unreasonable?

#41 User is offline   1eyedjack 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2015-May-26, 01:56

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-26, 00:42, said:

The opponents can accept or refuse an undo request
The software allows considerable flexibility, that is true. That does not prevent a TD from imposing additional restrictions by regulation. A possible suggestion mentioned earlier is that the opponent shall only accept or reject an undo request in accordance with instructions issued by the TD. Obviously this is in a tournament environment which has a TD.

View PostPhilG007, on 2015-May-26, 00:42, said:

Incidently,I find the 'undo' option unique...it would never be allowed in a 'real life' tournament(!) ;)

That is not true. Law 25A1 is a case in point. Indeed I suspect that the undo button in online play is made available largely in order that the online game can simulate as close as possible the provisions of law 25A1.

Arguably, there is less scope for UI in the online game. A genuine misclick conveys no information about the clicker's hand. (Oof Arted has yet to respond to my challenge in post #29 on this thread - presumably because there is no possible response). By contrast in a real life tournament it is harder to imagine that the initial call contains no information.
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,
2000 years earlier: "morituri te salutant"

"I will be with you, whatever". Blair to Bush, precursor to invasion of Iraq

#42 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2015-May-26, 08:32

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-25, 22:15, said:

I think that one of the earlier posters suggested that it would be for the TD to sanction or deny an undo request, not the other players at the table (unless they generously are content to allow it). TD will (alone) have sight of all 4 hands and can form an opinion on the misclick v change-of-mind conflict.

There's no TD at ordinary tables, only tournaments.

#43 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-26, 09:51

View Postbarmar, on 2015-May-26, 08:32, said:

There's no TD at ordinary tables, only tournaments.

Agreed. The thread appears to be predicated on a tournament environment. And it is posted in the Tournament Discussion forum
Psych (pron. saik): A gross and deliberate misstatement of honour strength and/or suit length. Expressly permitted under Law 73E but forbidden contrary to that law by Acol club tourneys.

Psyche (pron. sahy-kee): The human soul, spirit or mind (derived, personification thereof, beloved of Eros, Greek myth).
Masterminding (pron. mPosted ImagesPosted ImagetPosted Imager-mPosted ImagendPosted Imageing) tr. v. - Any bid made by bridge player with which partner disagrees.

"Gentlemen, when the barrage lifts." 9th battalion, King's own Yorkshire light infantry,

#44 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-May-26, 10:15

View Post1eyedjack, on 2015-May-26, 09:51, said:

Agreed. The thread appears to be predicated on a tournament environment. And it is posted in the Tournament Discussion forum

Good point, I forgot the contexxt.

In the case of speedballs, I think stopping everything to wait for a TD to approve an undo might be onerous.

#45 User is offline   1eyedjack 

Posted 2015-May-27, 02:34

View Postbarmar, on 2015-May-26, 10:15, said:

In the case of speedballs, I think stopping everything to wait for a TD to approve an undo might be onerous.

I don't know how often you expect it to arise. And I doubt that anyone would ever really know without trialling it.

Would you expect it to arise more frequently in a speedball event than in another? I suppose that misclicks will inevitably be more frequent in an environment where the players are under time pressure. That need not lead to a higher incidence of undo requests, although it is not unreasonable to expect that to be the case.

If there is something unique about speedballs, then by all means have bespoke regulations for those events, which regs might include a ban on undos as "the lesser evil". That need not require those regs to be extended generally.

#46 User is offline   barmar 

Posted 2015-May-27, 14:30

I don't expect it to be more frequent in speedballs, they're just tournaments where you don't want to have excessive delays by needing a TD for things. So it's just simpler and more time-efficient to prohibit undoes.

It's also not clear that the idea of looking at the player's hand to see if it's "obviously" a misclick is appropriate. In a f2f game, if a player claimed he pulled the wrong card from the bidding box by accident, we wouldn't expect the director to look at his hand to judge it. He either believes the player or not, often based on how close the pulled and intended cards are in the box (you won't get away with saying you meant to pass when you pulled a bid).

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users